Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaned my greenhouse out pulled up some old chillie and pepper plants YEP had to pull them up they would not move no matter how long or hard i stared at them out of the kitchen window

JB

Comment

• Sowed 30 chilli peppers into a window sill propagator and then raised a toast with my 3yr old (apple and blackcurrant squash ) to the official start of the growing season (chitting potatoes not with standing) in our house.

Then sowed 30 sweet peppers (California Wonder courtesy of GYO March edition free gift - thankyou very muchly ) in the other windowsill propagator.

Finally sowed approx 40 Leeks Musslebrough into 2 deep, clear tubs (which originally came from Tesco with mushrooms in them).

Now I'm wishing the days away until the first little seedlings start to appear.

That's the thing with growing your own, isn't it: You can't wait until it's time to start sowing; then you can't wait until the first seedlings appear; then it's wanting to be potting on so that you can sow some more seeds; then it's wanting the first flowers/fruit buds etc to appear; then it's wanting the first produce to be ready to eat; and so on and so forth and before you know it ANOTHER year has flown by and we're a year older and desperate to get started again

I feel exhausted already .

Reet
      x

Comment

• Holding out on the sowing for a bit, it's still snowing. Tidied up the pots and borders a bit in between showers. The spring bulbs are coming up lovely. Loads of snowdrops.

Comment

• Set some broad beans in loo rolls to leave in the unheated greenhouse, now its snowing so I've come inside to get warm.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Went up to lottie and dug another bed. This ones been earmarked for garlic, shallots, onions and leeks.

Wish I could go up again tomorrow but have to go into the office for the next three days so I'll have to wait until Friday.

Might have to pot up my early toms during the week as they're looking rather leggy.....

Comment

• Dropped off a second pot full of Golden Bear onion seedlings at greenhouse to harden off
              After collecting chooks 16 eggs and giving them some lettuce and bread I lit the woodburner in the greenhouse and made the mot of the last vestiges of light after work by sowing 5 Jalapeno Summer heat seeds and two Horned melon seeds in small pots. Each will be put in propagator at home.
              Pulled up a large bag of carrots, 4 leeks and some onions from store to go with the leg-o-mince we're having for tea/supper!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Put some parsley seeds on damp paper in a tub to germinate. Sowed some rhubarb seeds never tried this before always bought a root. Sowed some peas in a tub on the windowsill the idea is that we will eat the young leaves in salad soon
                Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                  I went back to the lottie to weed the herb patch at the front, pruned my diddy apple trees - looked for the winter wash and couldn't find it so either the lottie thieves have nicked it or I put it somewhere else. Took some pics and picked some psb for the week.
                  Is that really your spread Jeanied. Very impressive!

I spent the day trying to sort out our TV. We have lost all reception and before I called in the professionals I have spent the day trying to find out why?. Everything was OK yesterday. Arghh

Comment

• Today i sowed all my peppers and tomatoes.
                    24 variety of toms and 14 variety of peppers.I also have 3 varieties of potatoes chitting, Vales Emerald, Duke of York and Rocket.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
                      Is that really your spread Jeanied. Very impressive!

I spent the day trying to sort out our TV. We have lost all reception and before I called in the professionals I have spent the day trying to find out why?. Everything was OK yesterday. Arghh
                      Do you have a digital TV?

If not and if you're on an old tv aerial it's possible that it might be down to engineering work in preparation for the digital TV switchover.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Comment

• Originally posted by nerdgas View Post
                        Do you have a digital TV?

If not and if you're on an old tv aerial it's possible that it might be down to engineering work in preparation for the digital TV switchover.

Sorry for the off-topic post.
                        Again off topic but yes we switched last year. I believe our problem is that our aerial is maybe twixt two transmitters one already digital and one about to be so?

Comment

• Sat at home last night realised that I was testing out one of my little burners in the shed and had left it switched on. Should I brave the cold and go and stop my shed from burning down? Or should I rely on my legendery good luck and hope that it just fizzles out. Well here I sit at my desk and I have no idea if I still have a shed..

Be fine.....
                          Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good!

Comment

• a very productive 2 hours.

After doing school run went straight to the lottie I was only one on site so no chatting which saved loads of time.

Really soaked empty polytunnel beds, so so dry, added manure into them which seemed to house hundreds of worms.

weeded onion bed and garlic bed. Garlic has finally shown itself
                            lightly forked three more beds so now have 6 beds ready for planting.

Comment

• Pricked out lettuce seedlings, sowed cherry tomatoes, beetroot (both red and yellow cylindrical), tall old english marigolds and checking last year's gladiator parsnips in compost in plastic bag. Nothing ventured etc.....
                              Too cold to work outside anyway so found jobs to do in greenhouse. Treated myself to the heater on while I was working but then the sun came out for a while and boy did it get hot in there. Needless to say, the minute the heater went off the sun went in!

Comment

• Walked around my local market this morning ( Melton Mowbray) a stall selling Sutton seeds ...Runner beans, peas etc. From memory they were, Kelvadon wonder, Scarlett emperor..75 pence a bag, sell by date mid 2010. Also bought a tray of good sized free range eggs (30) for £2.
                                Never mind the TWADDLE here's the SIX PETALS.

http://vertagus.blogspot.com/ Annual seedlings.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X