Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I have a bit of time in the garden, cut the grass, sow a row of carrots in big raised bed. Watered everything in the greenhouse. Cabbage, spinach, kale all coming on well in pop up coldframe.

Sown: Lettuce: Little Gem, A.Y.R, Mixed Salad Leaves, Radicchio, Chartwell.
    Flowers: Rudbeckia - Home saved seed from last year, Gloriosa Daisies, Irish Spring, Poppy - Pink Dawn and Bunny Tails - Grass.
    Prepared root trainers ready for next Moon Day for French Beans, Runner Beans and some more peas.
    http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

• Today I planted Carrots, Salad onions (seed), Red and White Onions (sets), Garlic, Shallots and Horseradish - running out of room now - need more beds!
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• Today I hoed my brassica bed and leek bed ready for when planting out, weeded my onions, beans and peas.
        Sowed about 30 Striped stuffer toms and about 40 odd yellow perfections.
        Planted my Swifts in three bags
        Sprayed my chilli, aubergine, pepper and beefy tom seedlings with water but kept them in as it was a bit too chilly out today. Running out of room in the conservatory

Need to get around to my tumbling toms and leeks very very soon
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

• bought some more onion sets and shallot sets as there was a gap in my onion bed - planted them

weeded the asparagus bed and couldn't resist a naughty little poke around in the soil where I know there's a root..... teeny little white spears. Yes, I know I shouldn't poke about in the soil... Bad Twinkle

Comment

• Yesterday got spuds in, dug bean trench & put up bean fence.
            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
            Brian Clough

Comment

• Salvaged wood chippings from proposed chook run area to patch up other areas on my paths.
              Because some of my new chooks have feathered legs I have decided to lay paving on run area so they don't get all clarty!

Progressed a little bit more with the chook run until I jammed one finger and hit another with the hammer........decided enough was enough and headed home!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Just got in from two hours in the vegetable garden - I like to be out early in the morning. Added horticultural grit-sand and sand to a bed for beetroot, still to work on that before planting. Sowed French marigold seeds in a tray in the greenhouse. Dug over the soil where I plan to put runner beans.

I want to get carrot seed today, while it's half-price at the garden centre.

Penny
                Last edited by Meschuee; 31-03-2009, 08:35 AM.
                My photos at Webshots
                Webshots

and

http://www.picturesofengland.com
                Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Comment

• Potted on 3 Brandywine and 3 home-crossed tomatoes. Most of the others are still tiny but the Brandywine do better for me with a longer growing season - and the home-bred are going 4 to a big pot to be stopped at the first truss - for evaluation purposes.
                  this morning I was out with a Britain in Bloom friend tidying flower beds. This aft I shall be doing the same with my own!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• cleaned out the shed this am took 3 hrs!
                    bit the bullet and planted 6 types of courgette & patty pan squash ,cucumbers gherkins and melons.
                    Sowed various herbs ,basil ,thyme,oregano,parsley coriander & dill as OH moaning she wants a herb bed by the back door.
                    don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                    remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

• I planted carrots (Chantenay Red Cored 2) in one of the raised bed and scabious and marigold seeds in trays in the greenhouse. Bought courgette (Organic Black Beauty) and tomato (Vilma) seeds while they were still half-priced. Dug over the bed for the beetroot seeds, adding sand and grit.

Penny
                      Last edited by Meschuee; 31-03-2009, 03:51 PM.
                      My photos at Webshots
                      Webshots

and

http://www.picturesofengland.com
                      Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Comment

• Planted my read spring onions and beetroot today. Went to the garden centre and bought some new lavender plants, garlic chives and some rings to tie back my sweet peas with. When I got home I planted up the lavendar and the garlic chives.
                        AKA Angie

Comment

• Had a productive few hours today, emptied all the dead winter bedding plants out of the various pots dotted around the front & back of the house & around the garden - replaced them with fresh ones, ressurected a few other pots that were looking a bit worse for wear. Errected a support for peas in the veg plot & planted out 10 Kelvedon Wonder, also planted out about 10 Broad Beans. Sowed in the GH Canoe & Cascadia peas, Kailaan Chinese Broccoli, Rudolph Broccoli, 3 pots of Sweetheart Melon and 3 of Denver Pepper seeds.
                          Last edited by Newbie; 31-03-2009, 05:52 PM.
                          Jane,
                          keen but (slightly less) clueless
                          http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

• Watered the overwintered geraniums which have been transferred to the window area of the garden shed.
                            Helped OH erect a new wooden support to tidy up the blackberries.
                            Planted out (under the fleece covered area) a few lettuce plants and beetroots. Harvested a lettuce, spring onion and radish from the same bed - all of which have been overwintered under the fleece. Together with a jar of my own pickled beetroot it made my lunch. I thought the radish would be woody but it wasn't mind you - it wasn't very big either!!)
                            Actually - it made my day! Last year was the first time I had ever pickled anything let alone beetroot and I only did two jars at the time. Kept putting off opening one, until today. It was absolutely lovely.
                            Not normally a lover of pickled beet, preferring it fresh cooked and served hot, but it was a great surprise to me. I shall definitely aim for many more jars this year.

Comment

• noticed that parsnips have germinated in raised bed today. they were sown on the 7th. seed shallots are poking thru also.
                              my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

• Sown some more sweet peas. Pricked out lemon and opal basil. Sown cucumbers - market more, burpless tasty green, crystal lemon and restina. All tucked up in cosy propagator. Restina I got from Lidl after reading good reviews on the vine so I will be planting this one outside at a later date.
                                Sown another variety of melon - Emir F1 never tried it before so will be interested to see how I get on. Sown Thyme (Purple Creeping). Sown some more flowers - Scarlet Flax and Viola - Hobbiton. Watered pots in garden as they had started to dry out. Blue Berry bushes are starting to unfurl their leaves. Need to do lots of pricking out.
                                http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X