Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was really mild (not had the heating on all day) so I got an hour's weeding in. Also dug up the last two celeriac
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Still not got to planting anything as it's either freezing or raining lately, but since a relative with a car was about I went and got 3 tomato growbags and 3 cheap potato growbags.
      Last edited by hansaplatz; 13-01-2009, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I made up some more plant labels from recycled plastic milk bottles.

And applied for a lottie.

Yup on the waiting list , I think I'm about 26th on the list.
        Last edited by Herbie; 13-01-2009, 09:42 PM.
        http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Weeded garlic moon trial patch.
          Dug up some leeks
          Came home, and went to the garden
          moved onions for seed to another section
          put 5 garlic in from modules to ground
          started trimming back the strawbs
          trimmed back mizuna and winter lettuces
          took out all bootroots that aren't being saved for seeds

Comment

Today I brought some cardboard home from work (from boxes of leaflets I'd ordered) so I ripped it up and added it as another layer to my bean trench. Dug the trench and added the first layer (of kitchen scraps, compost and pelleted chicken manure) last week so I thought I'd better add something to retain a bit of moisture. The soil was really wet so I had to try not to stand on it but the dog and I had great fun slopping the soil over the cardboard!

Comment

Before I came into work, I put PSB and tomato seedlings into an unheated greenhouse. There were looking desperate for some decent daylight after a week on my living room windowsill. Have left them with a fleece cover in case the overnight temps plummet again.
              come visit a garden
              or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yesterday Mr D managed to get 3 beds dug over and the bean trenches started in one of the beds, before coming home and planting seeds into propogators for the spring (onions, brassicas and a few toms)!

We both went to the local British Beekeepers Association monthly meeting last night, and we both really enjoyed it, a really friendly bunch of lovely folks, gonna be going back again next month!

Today we started the day with a trip to see the Apiary at another local plot, then went off pricing up fencing to build our apiary, then on the way home called into the plot and planted 200 assorted bulbs!

Tonight gonna have a seed planting session and then relax with a bottle of wine!
                Blessings
                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

you lucky thing......they wont let us keep bees here :-( council have refused :-( where was the bee keeping course??
                  Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Actually, I was going to tell you how brave I was. Nothing to do with gardening, but I managed to get myself to the dentist for a filling. To make myself feel fabulous afterwards, I went to a lending library bookshop. Today, I swatted up some more on Biodynamics, and really enjoyed myself. In relation to the above post, you may be interested in this:
                    Rudolf Steiner pointed out during his lectures on evolution how very close the connection is betwen humans and bees. If this is taken seriously the parallels between human beings and bees will not be hard to find. We will then soon acknowledge without need of further scientific proof that the environmental problems facing bees are the same as those facing us.
                    Albert Einstein stated in this connection: "If bees disappear from the earth, human beings will only be able to survive for a further four years.
                    No bees, no pollination, no plants, no animals, no human beings."
                    And I was scared by a simple filling at the dentist. Shame on me!
                    When I got home, I cleared all the dead leaves away from the Strawberry plants.

Comment

Hi Allotmentlady et al,

The meeting was at the Dialstone Center in Stockport, its about the nearest BBKA group to our home, and although they do run a theory course (to examination level) its full for this year! Fortunately we are able to do the practical course which starts in April, plus have a couple of other beekeeper contacts locally who are offering to help us and give us some tuition (plus a possible nucleus for free, depending on when they are able to split one of their hives!!)

Hi Wellie, yep, the link is one that a lot of people dont think about, but without the bees for pollination crops are going to be seriously reduced, leading to short term famine and all the problems that will come with it, including longer term extinction, and as we are at the top of the food chain, its us that are most vulnerable!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I have been very brave this morning and taken off the supportive 'walking boot' thingy on my ankle, and given it (my ankle) a good scrub... Only hurt a little bit, and feels soooo much better for being clean!! I've got all the seeds in envelopes for people from the seed swap, and I'm going to attempt to hobble to the post box (end of my street) after lunch.

Comment

I've been mixing compost heaps. I've reduced one down to be ready for a potato bed, and have moved all the surplus compost in to two new heaps.
                          The chucks love scratching around in the heap after the worms.
                          I need to build a new chicken run but that's not going to be a quick job.

Comment

Lopped the tops off the Eucalyptus trees that were getting a bit lanky & spindly, emptied some stuff into the compost heap, dug over a third of the new flower bed that created in Oct & spread with the compost heap contents & just left. Hope fully i will finish digging this over the next week or so then i can start planting it. Also planted out 30 Radar onion sets that were planted in modules Oct / Nov in the greenhouse - not sure if this was correct but their roots were filling their pots & they were getting really quite tall. Sowed some Sweetpea seeds too and planted out my 6 Broadbean plants that were planted in pots in the greenhouse Oct/Nov and are now way over a foot tall - again not sure if this is correct or not but they were getting really pot bound, they'll either grow or die i suppose. I'm happy now because my plot has veg in it!!
                            Last edited by Newbie; 17-01-2009, 06:08 PM.
                            Jane,
                            keen but (slightly less) clueless
                            http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Picked a pint of sprouts (superb, but label got lost: I'm sure it was Maximus). By contrast, the Evesham were rubbish ... peaked too early & got really bad aphid.
                              --------
                              weeded a bit .. speedwell and groundsel are flowering already
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Have just come in from the garden, it's getting windy out there! I've spent a really nice afternoon clearing the veg garden. have roomed all the potted up strawberries and fruit bushes to a more shaltered part of the garden, planted some potatoes in tubes in the polytennel for an earliy crop, not to many, just a couple. Cleaned out all the plant pots and seed trays. I also got ridded of a load of sacks of manure from the goat houses on freecycle, the garden just can't take anymore!
                                www.alifelesssimple.wordpress.com Up-dated Regularly

Biodynamic grower in training

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X