Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did plan to do all sorts of things in the garden but it was -5 last night and at 8 o'clock this morning it was still -2 so I went back to bed and stayed there in the warm. A great day!! I can't believe people are planting things already - my greenhouse has sheets of ice over it and we're in the south!

Comment

On Sunday 21st Dec last, I took a fast trip to the plot (first in over 6 weeks - eeks) and it wasn't as devestated as expected. Harvested loads for bringing for Christmas - brussels sprouts, leeks, PSB and baby turnips. Mum and MIL both very pleased to see results!!

When we got back just before the New Year, I emptied my 2 potato sacks (an empty compost bag and a Lidl composting bag) and found just enough baby spuds for dinner for the 3 of us with a couple of leftover which were fried up for lunch on Sat. They were delish but tiny (bad frosts very early this year) so I may not try those again. I also emptied out the pot of baby carrots (again - titchies just enough for a dinner supplemented by a few frozen peas) and we had these with some lovely fresh sea trout (bought in the English Market in Cork).

On Friday, I brought the toddler up to the plot for another fast harvesting session (had to distract her from the chickenpox!!). Pigeons had been by and devestated it in the interim, so the PSB is now gone (net will be used thoroughly this year, from sowing to harvesting!!). I overdid harvesting baby turnips for the mammies, so there were only a few tiny ones for us (but they were TASTY roasted with some carrots, parsnips and squash). There may be a few more grow a bit yet though. Definitely growing more of those next year.

I also got 2 large tubs of brussels sprouts befopre the weather really got them (will freeze a good few tonight and gave some to my aunt when we went for dinner last night). And I dug another few leeks for ourselves this time - the first winter batch are starting to swell nicely and the second batch are well settled and should be ready in another couple of months so I think I've managed the successional thing successfully for a change!!

Apart from that, I am getting ready for a few quiet evenings in front of the fire with a couple of catalogues and my seed box, to decide on new purchases and plan the plot better this year. Lots more peas and beans, leeks, brassicas of all sorts, turnips, onions and garlic, and spuds (have to choose a "regular" boiling kinda spud yet, but definitely getting more Anya this year as they were GREAT and lasted months in the ground). A proper squash patch this year - with properly covered ground around it. And plenty more in the home garden too - salads and mange tout in particular, and a couple of courgette plants. I'll do a sweetcorn patch again, but I am giving up on carrots in open ground - going to get some large buckets for at home instead.

Comment

Haven't planted anything yet but I had a trip to the garden centre for their sale. Wasn't actually much on sale unless you wanted Christmas decorations, but I picked up bamboo canes whilst I had the opportunity, + wigwam plastic holder things to go with them. Got all my seed potatoes too.

And the one rather nice deal was buy one get one free on some 12" (I think) glazed ceramic pots - £3.50 each, bargain! Now I have a pot to plant up some of my cheap 50p for 2L daffodil bulb mix I got when visiting another centre during the holidays.

Comment

Too cold to do anything outside today, so concentrated on my early indoor sowing experiments: cherry toms, purple sprouting broccoli and purple podded peas (I seem to have some kind of purple veg fetish going on....) Keeping them on a bright windowsill during the daytime and moving onto the coffee table every evening as the heavy curtains mean the windowsill is abso-bloomin-lutely freezin' overnight!
          come visit a garden
          or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yesterday I finally got around to cutting down the Asparagus and raspberry canes (autumn bliss). A bucket of leeks were pulled and turned into leek and tattie soup and the heaps of leaves dropped off at the plot by the local council.

Today I pottted on a few chrysanthemum stools and put them in the cold greenhouse, these will provide lots of cuttings when the heat goes in on late February. Then it was off to the timber yard for loads of staircase spindles as finally, the old closed in bannisters are now fully spindled up as part of the great hall, stairs and landing decorating challenge.

Comment

Too cold, too damp, too messy outside - so I just read stuff on the grapevine.
              My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I took the inch thick ice off the water butts; fed the birds as usual.
                cut some pencil thick leeks, Chinese greens, sprout tops, kale and January King cabbage leaves for a stir fry.
                The ground is frozen solid, but not frosty (too dry)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yesterday I dug over the bed that runs the length of the back-wall in my plot and planted my new rasberries (Finally! They'd been heeled in since before Christmas!) 3 Autumn and 6 Summer fruiting canes

I'd already dug over the end of the bed to put up another bin and turn my compost into it. (Going to try and get some manure to rot down in the first, now empty, one) There's a fairly new strawberry bed at the other end which, like the rasberries, is dormant so I'm quite excited to see it all get going in the spring.

My next challenge is to weed and dig over my main big bed which I'll split into 4 for my rotation. I've already cleared my shed and planned my veg out so - all in all - I'm feeling quite excited about this year. It'll be my first full season on the plot so my new year's resolution is to be organised!

Comment

After pruning my currants yesterday (all 25 of them), I struck a score of redcurrant cuttings, ten to a big pot. These root very easily and will next year give me lots of young bushes to give away.

Comment

Today I spent 7 hours on a rough terrain telehandler loading dung onto two large spreaders for a local farmer, then spent the last two hours of daylight digging up some more of my Jerusalem Artichokes for this weeks veg boxes.
                      Rat

British by birth
                      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Today, I swore as I dug holes for my new arrived hedge fortunately they are bare rooted but the soil was solid in parts - mainly in the beds my neighbour was supposed to dig over, the ones I did in October where a joy to dig and just shows what a bit of prep does. Did 80 hornbeam and heeled in rest in compost heap. At least the postie woke me up early to deliver them. Then discovered that water butt was a solid block of ice, have never seen this before!
                        Last edited by andrewo; 08-01-2009, 07:15 PM.
                        Best wishes
                        Andrewo
                        Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Today I sowed my twilight numex chilli seeds, from a packet plant that's a year out of date (was someone's gift to boyfriend that he never got round to). Yet to get a heated propagator so it's sitting atop the refrigrerator, which is near the boiler anyhow.

Comment

For Xmas my MIL bought me a "junior" wormery (so i can see how i get on with it before investing in a bigger one) and today my Tiger worms arrive through the post. So i had great fun setting it up in the garage so the poor little bleeders won't freeze to death.

Plus I actually did something in the garden today!!....

As it wasn't frosty outside for the 1st time in weeks & my raised beds weren't frozen solid, i emptied at 75litre bag of compost onto my soon to be onion bed, forked it in & raked it over. As the raised beds are new (only done start of December) they have brand new topsoil in them (our soil is really heavy clay) which is much better however it does look really sandy - so i though the compost would help. Thought about transplanting my onion & garlic into the bed from their pots in the greenhouse but really couldn't be bothered so shoved the last dozen onions sets in the bed that hadn't been planted into pots.

Couldn't resist sowing a few seeds whilst i was in the mood so sowed a few Broad beans (Aquadulce Claudia), Onion seeds (Paris Silverskin) and Strawberry seeds (Alpine Mignonette) stuck them in an unheated propergator & put in on the kitchen windowsill (greenhouse is still too cold with the frost / snow around.

but...I'VE MADE A START!!
                            Jane,
                            keen but (slightly less) clueless
                            http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Today was spent clearing my shed and then making up my veg boxes for tomorrows deliveries. The contents this week are some or all of the following ;
                              King Edward potatoes, carrots, onions, parsnips, curly kale, winter cabbage (whole or halved) Jerusalem Artichokes, swede, leeks
                              Rat

British by birth
                              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Spent a pleasant hour hacking ivy off the cherry tree. Pruned some more of the biggest apple tree.
                                Pruned and took cuttings from Goosegogs, black and red currants. Once I'm sure these have taken, the parent plants will be dug up and moved to where I want them to be, and form the rest of the currant area.
                                Bob Leponge
                                Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X