No announcement yet.

Yana - yana

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do that - hide little creatures and toys in cracks in the walls. You can't believe how excited I am when I find them again

Comment

Well I've done a little bit of work this week. Thought that I'd ease myself into it and tackle the front bit.

Figured that I'd start off putting the fence back up- how hard could that be.

Well first of all there's the manure heap which is right up to the edge of the plot and over. This needed to be moved so I would have space to put up the fence. After about 10 barrow loads of fresh/ partial composted muck and 20 narrows of well rotted stuff I decided that I've moved enough to get a start - I'll move the rest later (I've moved about a third). I also had to pick through each barrow for bindweed roots.

After moving the fence panels (which mostly snapped in pieces) and the second layer of broken fence panels underneath I came across a layer of broken pots and torn netting with broken glass. Beneath this was a layer of debris including torn poly bags, tubes of make up remover broken glass and old plastic bottles. Digging this out I was ready to dig the post holes.

CRUNCH. Two inches beneath the surface of the soil were the paving slabs which had need the base of the greenhouse. After prying the slabs out and moving them there was the layer of thick plastic followed by a layer of broken glass. THEN I was ready to dig the post holes.

OK so post holes dug by Wednesday and the wood was arriving in the afternoon. Dug over most of one of the long beds - great soil but loads of bindweed roots (strange but I can't see last year's dead stems except in the back bit) so I went through every inch to get out as much as possible.

Greenhouses and main shed now virtually tat free (two car fulls of bags to the tip) with the help of my mother.

Wood came on Wednesday afternoon so posts put in. On Thursday built up two sections of fence. A lot of the old fence needed to have the lats prised off nails pulled then screwed onto two rails for the first section. For the second section I managed to reuse a section of the older fence which saved some work.

Oh yes, I've also painted a slate sign for the plot which will go up once the fence has been painted.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        I do that - hide little creatures and toys in cracks in the walls. You can't believe how excited I am when I find them again
        I have a Lego man and a marble in one of my strawberry beds. I think the mice/voles move them. Love seeing them again.

PS Nice bit of work on that fence Jay-ell, and the sign.
        Last edited by sparrow100; 09-04-2015, 08:20 PM.
        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Shouldn't your sign read "Jason's Junkyard"?

Have you planted anything yet

Comment

Does bindweed count?

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

You could send the lonely dolphin to BM so he can put it in his pond, call it Threewilly and it can learn to hunt by stalking his fish.
              I seem to spend an unhealthy amount of time in the winter getting Gordon and Graham Gnomes to sit up after the winds keep sending them scatty.
              I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Well, didn't get get much done today. Built the first of my raised bed surrounds, laid some flags as a path and put up some staging in the greenhouse.

On the plus side I was paid from work for doing it.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Poor little thing - it'll suffocate in that bag. Let it out and set it free
                  Swim little dolphins, swim

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

So it's coming along slowly.

The front part is moving along, the sections of fence that are up have been painted

and I've filled up a new bed with muck, after digging out the bindweed roots

in the middle one long bed sown with parsnips, parsley hamburg, salsify, scorzonera, rampion, carrots, shallots and onions

and a couple of new beds in the making

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Looking good Jay-ell. Like the Blue fencing - all in the best possible taste.

Thank you for setting free the Three-Willies - I can sleep easier tonight.

Comment

Thank you for setting free the Three-Willies - I can sleep easier tonight.
                        That was the porpoise of the photo

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

We People of Whales have to look after our cousins

Comment

A quick update on progress so far.

So far 70 bags of stuff have been taking to the tip. The front is a bit tidier and the manure pile has gone down a bit. I've also built on bed at the front.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

The middle section is coming along. I've put up the fence between plots with the the help of one of my allotment neighbours - it's 2' high and the posts are 8' high with wire to support fruit bushes.

The two existing long beds are full of alliums, brassicas and root veg.

I've built and filled 5 new 8'x4' beds. Lots of digging out of bindweed roots there.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Two beds finished off this weekend

My bean bed

Beets, cauliflower and scallions

My onions

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X