No announcement yet.

Someone appears to have pinched my allotment :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh don't say that you're shattering my illusions we don't have many slugs in my garden at home as we have hedgehogs but strawberries don't last five minutes

Comment

Blackbirds pinch more strawberries than slugs do anyway.

Comment

Maybe they are the culprit then

Comment

I grew some stawberries in my greenhouse and they out performed the outdoor ones hands down. I also found it easier to control slugs in the greenhouse, their options for invasion are a lot more limited.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I would also go for the raised beds for all sorts of reasons. The plot looks superb and I agree those leeks have been there for quite a while, they are very slow growing, you will be able to pick them all through the winter. The greenhouse is fantastic! To replace that would cost you the best part of £400 but I would get some preservative on the wood work. Having seen the pics I am beginning to think there may not be a mystery tenant after all. For instance that green house has been there some while, maybe a year or more, it just doesn’t look recently erected.
            Last edited by Bill HH; 09-11-2013, 08:23 PM.
            photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
              Having seen the picks I am beginning to think there may not be a mystery tenant after all. For instance that green house has been there some while, maybe a year or more, it just doesn’t look recently erected.
              I agree Bill If the plot was given up in August, that's only a couple of months. Whilst the plot looks quite clean, it doesn't look recently rotovated to me. Perhaps the outgoing tenant cleared it before they left.
              Maybe the mystery person came along to help himself to some veg or summat. Without seeing it, or speaking to whoever told you there was a squatter, its really hard to tell what the situation might be. If I were you Methe, I'd just get on with it.

Comment

I must say aesthetics are my main reason for raised beds.. Well aesthetics and being able to lay unmuddy paths between them to walk on.

Bill I'm really glad to head that you think it all looks like its not brand new. Maybe the person I spoke to on my first visit was spinning me a tale. Maybe he didn't like the look of me.. I was wearing my work suit with completly inappropriate shoes on but I was too excited to go home and change before going to see it!

I appreciate I will be incredibly blessed to inherit such a great plot but it stil doesn't feel real and will take a lot to make it feel mine. Some has worked really hard on it, haven't they I will feel like I'm stepping on someone's toes. I wonder what happened to the previous tenant.. There's tools and that wheelbarrow and all sorts up there.

Do you have any idea what could be in that greenhouse?

Comment

Originally posted by Methe View Post
                  Do you have any idea what could be in that greenhouse?
                  Spiders...............
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    I agree Bill If the plot was given up in August, that's only a couple of months. Whilst the plot looks quite clean, it doesn't look recently rotovated to me. Perhaps the outgoing tenant cleared it before they left.
                    Maybe the mystery person came along to help himself to some veg or summat. Without seeing it, or speaking to whoever told you there was a squatter, its really hard to tell what the situation might be. If I were you Methe, I'd just get on with it.
                    The plot (no pun intended) thickens. Maybe the person who told you there was a squatter had been quietly helping himself to stuff, and spun you that yarn to cover himself incase you ever spoke to the previous tennant and he gave you an inventory. Did this spurious informer look swarthy and furtive? maybe a false beard? As VG says just get on with it.

Oh and maybe he was just trying to put you off because he wants the plot? these things happen.
                    My neighbour wanted to buy the house next door to his on the other side, he asked all the viewers he saw if they had heard a baby crying in the attic! when they asked what he meant he just said "I aint saying no more"
                    He later got the house.
                    Last edited by Bill HH; 09-11-2013, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• As long a theres no earwigs the spiders are welcome to stay!

Comment

• Tbh it was a bit strange. I went there in the pouring rain and let myself in to the locked shut site and had a pootle round then I went to have a look at 'my' plot. WhenI went back to the main track he was standing there smoking a pipe. I have no idea where he came from but he was at the other end of the site to the gate and couldn't have got past me.

Maybe he was an apparition.

Comment

• All I can say is don't go in the dark Methe.................
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• You didnt notice the odd fang did you.

Comment

• I need to get some garlic in the ground sharpish
                              Last edited by Methe; 09-11-2013, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• It looks like overwintering broad beans in the greenhouse to me. Its a bit hazy, but I'd say they are about the right size and shape for them. I would say they are a recent addition if thats what they are mind.
                                I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X