No announcement yet.

Someone appears to have pinched my allotment :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's exciting to think of having a greenhouse. I've wanted one for the garden at home for years but we don't have the space.. I can literally think of thousands of ways a greenhouse would improve my life

Comment

See, you're cheering up already

Comment

Some folks are easily pleased....................good look at the weekend Methe.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Methe View Post
          It's definitely the right plot. ... he is an unofficial plot holder - either someone whos been 'given' the plot by a friend or an existing plot holder trying his luck.
          We had a lot of "luck trying" on our site: some tenants had 3 or 4 plots each, none of them worked properly.
          There was nobody on the waiting list, because one was never created: people were just told "there's nothing available".
          Luckily, we've had a few more sensible people getting on the management committee, and things are being put right, and we're getting an influx of new younger, more female (!) plot holders, rather than a few older men "owning" half the site between them. It's not going down well with the older men, I have to say.

You get friction on every site: be prepared for it, but don't let it put you off.

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
          I would be tempted to politely approach this person with agreement & map in hand & ask him if he has the same as you
          The busiest days are Sat & Sun mornings, before everyone disappears for lunch. Get yourself down there at the weekend, hoe in hand, with your paperwork, and talk to as many people as you can, get the lay of the land.
          Don't listen to one point of view either, talk to everyone individually & discreetly. It's very odd that the new guy has only been there a month ... very odd. He shouldn't have lost any tenancy agreement after only a month though.

Originally posted by Methe View Post
          The sheds were definitely the previous tenants and ill be very please to inherit them.
          Anything valuable tends to get snatched by the older tenants, so take photos of what is there now, before someone decides to nick it.
          On our site, when a plot becomes empty, I think the new tenant should have first refusal on whatever's on the plot (sheds, etc), but what actually happens is the old men get in there and take what they want, then the new tenant has to buy a new shed.
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-11-2013, 09:28 AM. Reason: appeasemebt
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Luckily, we've had a few more sensible people getting on the management committee, and things are being put right, and we're getting an influx of new younger, more female (!) plot holders, rather than a few "owning" half the site between them. It's not going down well, with the old men, I have to say.

what actually happens is the old men get in there and take what they want, then the new tenant has to buy a new shed.
            Two sheds.
            I presume Zazen will be along to chastise you for Sexism and ageism
            photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

When I gave my plot up, I was asked by the committee what I was leaving behind & an agreement was made between myself & the new tennant.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

duly noted Bill. I don't like being called 'young girl', it's condescending (I'm in my 40s), so I take your point.

They are in their 70s , I think that still counts as "old" ...? I've changed it to older, anyway.
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-11-2013, 09:31 AM.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

When I had a plot, and someone was giving up, they'd offer their sheds, GH, what have you, to others already on site. You'd be very very lucky to take on a new plot with any structures left on it There were no age or gender preferences either

PS If anyone wants to call me a young girl, I won't take offence
                  Last edited by veggiechicken; 08-11-2013, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Neither of my plots came with anything. I may leave my polytunnel on the big plot, but think the new person doesn't want it. It's less than a year old, but a bit torn, we don't really need it at the house.

People def come and take things off plots that have been given up.
                    http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

I am just dying to know the outcome of all this. There are many possible outcomes, some good some not so good.

1. The plot has been taken over by a Taliban group intending to poppy farm. In which case you will be happy to see them evicted.

2. The plot has been taken over by a single mother with 5 adorable children to suppliment their meagre food supply, in which case you have a problem.

3. Your on the wrong allotment.

4. The person who has taken over your plot is the most popular site member and you are faced with 20 angry plot holder wielding pitch forks and erecting a scaffold to linch you. (least prefered outcome)

5. The previous tennant actualy died but returns at midnight to work his plot.(I'm sure you can share)

6. The plot has been taken over by homeless greenham common (non specific gender people)

7. Its all big mistake and the naughty tennant will be so mortified at what they have done that they will
                      offer you the use of their villa in the Bahamas for a month. (Most prefered option).

Keep us posted please.
                      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

On our site, when a plot becomes empty, I think the new tenant should have first refusal on whatever's on the plot (sheds, etc), but what actually happens is the old men get in there and take what they want, then the new tenant has to buy a new shed.
                        We added a rule so that when the existing plotholders hands in their key everything on the plot has to stay with the plot.
                        Doesn't stop the outgoing person removing everything from their plot and distributing it how they want - which is theirs to do with what they want, but in theory stops people looting plots after.

Comment

Forecast is not great for tomorrow so you might not be any the wiser after a visit.
                          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

The weather is grim here now! Im jus going to have to wait until I get any news I think.

Bill HH I like your list!

Comment

They are in their 70s , I think that still counts as "old" ...? I've changed it to older, anyway.

Thankyou ,although senior citizen is prefered by us girlies within your bracket
                              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

duly noted Bill. I don't like being called 'young girl', it's condescending (I'm in my 40s), so I take your point.

You didnt need to change it I was just pulling your leg.

And I would prefer "More mature people"
                                Last edited by Bill HH; 08-11-2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X