Allotment paths.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotment paths.

I've divided my allotment into beds with paths between. They're not raised beds as such with surrounds just individual areas.
    Question is what would be the best and cheapest way of covering them so they don't look really scruffy with weeds. I had thought of putting turf down as other allotment holders have but I'm having second thoughts as I don't want to be too tied to having to spend time mowing them once the season gets under way.
    I have seen some 500mm wide black weed suppressant mesh which isn’t too expensive but what need some cheap suggestions of what to cover it with. I was thinking of using carpet but they've just banned the use of carpet on the field.

wood chippings are good and cheap and have some limited effecton repelling slugs as well.

Comment

Hi Nicky, I don't use edges for the bed either, IMO it's well worth the small trouble of making weed-free paths. My two allotments are side by side, with three long paths 1m wide, made of 1m wide woven plastic covered by woodchips running up their length. Our local authority delivers piles of woodchips free when asked maybe yours will too?

For 60cm paths (widthways between the beds) I made paths of newspaper and straw (I couldn't get hold of woodchip at the time). With practice they are quick to make, thick newspaper has worked well suppressing weeds, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it next time instead of woven plastic. Newpaper needs to be laid on thick - in slabs or wadges - and be prepared to top up the straw or woodchip layer(s) from time to time. Watering the finished path isn't essential, but stops the straw blowing away if it's windy.

Ooer, just did the sums, paths account for one-quarter of my allotment space
      Last edited by supersprout; 01-01-2007, 01:01 PM.
      SSx
      not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

We picked up some pallets from a garden centre and are using them for edging and duck boards for the pathways. That way we can manage different widths of path depending on requirements in different areas of the lottie.

Comment

Originally posted by supersprout View Post
          ...........Ooer, just did the sums, paths account for one-quarter of my allotment space
          Thats the only trouble with raised beds that I can see SS you do loose a lot of space.

An alternative path could be some old carpet or you could use pallets & something like Bailing twine to make a rollmatt path.
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

My lottie is divided up into 4'0" beds with 2'0" paths in between covered with wood chippings. One problem I have found with straw which I have as a mulch over my strawberry bed is that the odd seeds of wheat/barley keeps germinating, even in cold weather! I have to keep pulling out little clumps of sprouted seeds!
            I laid my paths as weed suppreesors and would be forever weeding if i'd used straw! Maybe its just the crap straw I am using, but it's worth taking into consideration!
            Next year, as time permits, I intend putting old plastic fertiliser bags on paths covered with wood chippings so that anything germinating will not be able to put down deep roots.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

We used wood from broken down pallets to create edging, then laid down weed control fabric, covered with bark chippings, stops the weeds, repels slugs and looks pretty good too! Theres some piccies on the Newbie seeking advice / possibility of an allotment thread if you're interested!

However you decide to do it, I hope you have weed free dry paths a plenty!
              Blessings
              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Freecycle was my friend, managed to get a load of old paving slabs to do mine with.
                http://www.cowlane.org.uk

Comment

Just make the paths smaller Nick, Like I did
                  Last edited by pigletwillie; 02-01-2007, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    One problem I have found with straw which I have as a mulch over my strawberry bed is that the odd seeds of wheat/barley keeps germinating, even in cold weather! I have to keep pulling out little clumps of sprouted seeds!
                    Aren't they useful for brewing? alternatively, you could mill the seed and become self sufficient in grain?

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                      wood chippings are good and cheap and have some limited effecton repelling slugs as well.
                      Wood chips look nice, smell nice, and some lottie sites get them free from the council, but my daughter who has her own lottie the other side of town found some very interesting "mushrooms" growing where she had made paths from the chips.

Comment

We get them as well occassionaly when its wet, they don't hurt and add the "wildlife factor" to your plot.

Comment

I was soooo lucky and got several fine fat morel mushrooms from the woodchips. Don't look a gift horse etc.
                          SSx
                          not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

we are in the process of creating paths using paving slabs sourced for free via local newspapers. We have just joined our local freecycle group so are hoping to obtain more slabs this year. Still along way to go so are considering altenatives - thanks for the tips about free wood chip will ring council tomorrow. Out of interest how does wood chip stand up to a heavy wheelbarrow?
                            Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow
                            - Author Unknown

Comment

Hi BG,

Welcome to the vine. I imagine if you put a good thick layer down it will be OK.
                              ntg
                              Never be afraid to try something new.
                              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                              ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X