No announcement yet.

Allotment paths.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for raising this very important issue Nicky! Im taking heed of everyone's advice! Jennie - thought you were a spring chicken like me!
    Mrs D - did you line your paths before you put the chippings down? Thanks! Dexterdog
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
      Jennie - thought you were a spring chicken like me!
      Thanks! Dexterdog
      That's what I like about this site! The anonimity ... anonymity - well nobody knows what you look like.
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I look as though I've had a very long paper round! In fact, I'm only 18! LOL! Dexterdog
        PS actually, the mind still thinks I'm 18, but after a few hours digging, the body actually knows its real age! then it's time for a long soak in a Radox bath with a glass of vino! (radox - now I'm showing my age!)
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Ah radox I wash with coal Tar Soap and love Brut, Denim and Old Spice.

Benacer
          http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Blimey! now that is taking me back a few years! I still love the smell of Coal Tar soap - is it still available? Dexterdog
            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Re: Paths - did I read somewhere that someone used old plastic sacks from chippings etc. to line the pathway? Is this OK? Was thinking of obtaining some old pallets to break up for wood to line the pathways, laying down some old plastic sacks to stop the weeds then putting down some wood bark chippings. What does everyone think? Dexterdog
              PS I'm that excited about my lottie and my shed I can't sleep at night and am writing lists of things to do, things to buy etc etc!
              PS the plastic sacks+wood chippings would this work for a small patio area as well?
              Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 04-01-2007, 09:29 PM.
              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

I've grass seeded mine as it's the best way to keep the weeds down. I was hoping Father Christmas was going to get me a cordless strimmer (to keep the weeds down too, especially brambles), but I've obviously not been a good enough girl!

Mind you, it's now January sales time, so I may just get it..........

Comment

Thanks all for the advice

I had a spare morning the other day so phoned the council to see if they new of anyone supplying cheap/free woodchips for the allotments. I've managed to find one of the other allotment sites in the town does have woodchips delivered FOC. Our field secretary is contacting them to get some organised for us as well so fingers crossed I could soon have lovely woodchip paths. I just need to collect all the newspapers now but I’ve had a ring round friends and they're saving them for me.

Comment

Hi DDL, yep the paths were lined with old carpets (not foam backed) and weed control fabric before mulching, but if we hadnt had access to these we'd have tried either plastic (old compost bags or black bin liners split in half) or a good cardboard or newspaper mulch followed by plenty of bark!

Hope that is of some help! I bet you cant wait to get started on your plot!
                    Blessings
                    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Thanks Mrs D! off to my lottie tomorrow! Dexterdog
                      Bernie aka DDL

Comment

DD
                        As I suffer from a bad back and wonky knees have to sit down to weed so went for metre wide paths, so I could sit down in comfort. got a huge roll of black weed suppressent plastic from Kays (cheapest on offer at the time) and use bark chips. And was green to see from the thread that some peoples councils actually deliver free, shall be getting on to mine to suggest it otherwise it's costing me around £3 per metre.
                        Metre wide paths do eat up a lot of ground but with raised beds the growing space can be used intensively and are all no-dig after the first supreme efforts.
                        Sue

Comment

I used garden fabric/weed supressant and managed to use up loads of newspaper underneath. My logic behind this was I didn't have enough time to weed my plot and the paths.

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                            Re: Paths - did I read somewhere that someone used old plastic sacks from chippings etc. to line the pathway? Is this OK? Was thinking of obtaining some old pallets to break up for wood to line the pathways, laying down some old plastic sacks to stop the weeds then putting down some wood bark chippings. What does everyone think? Dexterdog
                            PS I'm that excited about my lottie and my shed I can't sleep at night and am writing lists of things to do, things to buy etc etc!
                            PS the plastic sacks+wood chippings would this work for a small patio area as well?
                            Spot on DDL, works a treat, costs nowt as well!

Best if you clear off perennial weeds first though else come spring you will have little bumps getting bigger every day in your path!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                              Spot on DDL, works a treat, costs nowt as well!

Best if you clear off perennial weeds first though else come spring you will have little bumps getting bigger every day in your path!
                              Thanks Snadger - going down "to my lottie" for a reet good session tomorrow - weeding the first job, chair and flask in shed the second! Dexterdog

PS Snadger if you fancy nipping down tomorrow, I'll cook you a huge bacon buttie!
                              Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 11-01-2007, 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling!
                              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Originally posted by Stroppy scotte View Post
                                We picked up some pallets from a garden centre and are using them for edging and duck boards for the pathways. That way we can manage different widths of path depending on requirements in different areas of the lottie.

Just wondered, did you paint the pallets with anything to preserve them before you used them as edging?
                                Last edited by running_muttley; 10-01-2007, 11:09 PM.
                                An té nach gcuireann san earrach
                                ní bhaineann sé san fhómhar.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X