No announcement yet.

Allotment paths.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi BG, we've woodchip paths on our plot, some are only about 4" deep, but in the main they are between 6 and 8" deep, the bark does get compacted by the barrow, but we've not found it a problem to be honest! Definitely havent had any weeds trying to come through it, and it does stop the paths from getting too waterlogged or muddy!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Thats the best bit Mrs D, harvesting in winter without getting muddy feet.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
        Just make the paths smaller Nick, Like I did
        What do you reckon is the narrowest you should go considering you may need to get wheeelbarrows through and you dont want to be knocking plants over with your backside in the other beds when bending down? 18" do you think?
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You don't need a wide path on every bed Snadger. So long as you can get the wheebarrow down a central path I would have thought that wouls be OK then you could get away with a 12" path.
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

We've 4 main paths running the length of the plot, all of which are edged with reclaimed pallets and barked up with bark mulch, and are about 2' wide. 2 of the paths are at the outsude borders with the neighbours and 2 running equidistant down the center, dividing the plot into beds of 9' to 12' width. Down the center of these beds we've another walkway or path, which has 'stepping stones' for us to walk on and hopefuly should stop us from having to step onto the beds either side, these center paths are only about 12" wide, just enough to traverse without too much difficulty! Pretty much like Nick has described!
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Brookfield Growers View Post
              how does wood chip stand up to a heavy wheelbarrow?
              Excellent. After a month or so it's thoroughly compacted and is kid-proof too
              SSx
              not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Originally posted by supersprout View Post
                Excellent. After a month or so it's thoroughly compacted and is kid-proof too
                Most of mine has blown away ....... it was not a good idea for a windy site.
                ~
                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

crikey Jennie you must have hurricanes!
                  seriously, I put a good 8" of woodchips down and they've flattened down to a firm surface, ideal for harvesting in wet weather. I thought all my straw would blow away too, but it seems to stay put - it's very thickly spread, I wonder if that has something to do with it?
                  SSx
                  not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Originally posted by supersprout View Post
                    crikey Jennie you must have hurricanes!
                    seriously, I put a good 8" of woodchips down and they've flattened down to a firm surface, ideal for harvesting in wet weather. I thought all my straw would blow away too, but it seems to stay put - it's very thickly spread, I wonder if that has something to do with it?
                    I think you have got Jennie's straw supersrout, It was last seen heading over the ocean like a giant tumbleweed!!!
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have a 4' wide paved path down the middle of one plot and the spacing between beds is either 18" or 2' Snadger. I made some too small and ended up widening them.

Comment

I have a 4' wide paved path down the middle of one plot and the spacing between beds is either 18" or 2' Snadger. I made some too small and ended up widening them.
                        Yeah my lottie is divided up into four foot beds two foot paths but as someone has so aptly pointed out I am wasting 1/4 of my plot on paths. I have one 2'6" communal path right down one side of the lottie with 15'0" beds coming off it. In other words each time I go down a path between beds I have to turn around and come back up same same path to the communal path! With very narow paths, when I kneal down to plant /work on beds my toes will be in the bed behind me!

If I stop my paths ,say 3'0" from other edge of plot this will redeem me an extra 3'0" X 2'0" at the end of each path which when I multiply this by seventeen beds equals a sizable extra area to plant! In fact these areas could be used for companion planting of flowers and I could probably grow all my cut flowers there as well!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Get digging Snadger , I will send you up some Red nasturtiums and white cosmos seed to get you going with your companion planting.

Comment

Get digging Snadger , I will send you up some Red nasturtiums and white cosmos seed to get you going with your companion planting.
                            I'd get kicked off the site!! You're determined to turn me into a Mackem PW but I must admit, monochrome could get a bit boring!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                              Yeah my lottie is divided up into four foot beds two foot paths but as someone has so aptly pointed out I am wasting 1/4 of my plot on paths. I have one 2'6" communal path right down one side of the lottie with 15'0" beds coming off it. In other words each time I go down a path between beds I have to turn around and come back up same same path to the communal path! With very narow paths, when I kneal down to plant /work on beds my toes will be in the bed behind me!

If I stop my paths ,say 3'0" from other edge of plot this will redeem me an extra 3'0" X 2'0" at the end of each path which when I multiply this by seventeen beds equals a sizable extra area to plant! In fact these areas could be used for companion planting of flowers and I could probably grow all my cut flowers there as well!

I seem to remember Geoff Hamilton made a sort of bridge affair out of scaffold planks that he could lower across the bed , that way he could kneel on than to plant stuff without walking on them , maybe this could be a solution for you as well?
                              ntg
                              Never be afraid to try something new.
                              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                              ==================================================

Comment

I have stepping stones through my beds - even in the polytunnel. I dug up alot of large flattish stones and they are quite flexible to change from year to year. You have to learn to squat though rather than kneel and at my age it is then a bit difficult to get up without toppling over. At least no one can see me!
                                ~
                                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X