No announcement yet.

Allotment paths.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the advice on this thread about wood chip paths. Just returned from the lottie, Chickens are now spared the risk of trench foot as they have been restricted to half the run which now been dug out and filled with wood chip. THe local authority were as unhelpful as ever, but a local tree surgeon was happy to drop a lorry load for £5 petrol. The surplus chips have been used to improve the main path down the plot to the chickens providing good all weather access.
    Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow
    - Author Unknown

Comment

We're famous!

I've just typed in google "bark chippings lancashire preston" and one of the top sites given is our very own GYO Grapevine! This thread to be exact! WOW! Dexterdog
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I've been using bark shreddings for a couple of years (needs relaying each year as it does rot away); but someone just told me that it makes the ground acidic...?

Comment

Rustylady
          That's what we are always told, I've got bark chippings on top of plastic sheeting and the bit we did first is breaking down, what do you do with it when it is composted like this, can it be used as mulch?
          I've seen composted bark sold as mulch
          Sue

Comment

We have been using wood chip which I have read is better that bark chip as it lets the rain/water through and not soak it up as bark does. we plan to replenish as needed over the coming years
            Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow
            - Author Unknown

Comment

If you use bark or woodchips for your paths, it doesn't matter if the soil is slightly acidic. I think the warnings about acidity and taking up nitrogen from the soil are about using woodchips/bark on your growing areas? Most veg are tolerant of slightly acidic soil, and my older gardening books suggest using an all-purpose fertiliser to compensate
              Last edited by supersprout; 12-01-2007, 10:19 PM.
              SSx
              not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X