Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning all. It's another decent morning here in the dryest county in England, so I'll be able to get some potatoes in today.

Sorry all those not so lucky, hope you have a good day anyway!
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Nicos, how do you handmow? Do you use a scythe? If so, is it easy to do? I've seen videos that make it look a cinch, but I find it hard to believe it is.

Comment

• Petrol mower snoop...blinking hard work!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Good morning all. A very dull grey start to the day here. Not sure whst we will do today but we will definitely not be going into town as it will be bedlem. We will probably watch the parade on T.V. and then take it from there.

Congratulations to those celebrating anniversaries and widhing many more happy ones to come.
          Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Good afternoon all,Happy anniversary MR & MRS Rary,enjoy your fry up,my word the weather has changed,been outside most of the morning well wraped up with son,he has been helping me with the coop,he has tools i not got use of and a darned site quicker than me,anyhow 4 walls now look like a little shed shapes,now got to work on an external nest box,back door,pop hole,roost bars,and vents to turn it into a chicken des rez,am sitting here in the warm next to a rad and shivering,i WAS warmer outside,feels cold enough to spout white stuff,enjoy whats left of your afternoon peeps,geezzzzzzzzz am off to get a hotty shiver shiver shiver.
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Hope you have a happy Anniversary Rary - and a lovely meal

Happy St. Patrick's Day to those who are celebrating it.

Very cold day. Been out for weekly scone and coffee at the garden centre. Saw lots of things I wanted to buy but will have to carry on daydreaming about those with Mother's Day and my Mother's birthday within a week of each other. Expensive month.

Going to enjoy some quiet reading now. Have a good Friday everyone
              LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

• A right miserable day today it hasn't stopped raining all day, a natural resource wasted, was in the greenhouse for a short time but the wind was a bit strong, so headed back in the hour, where I had to do some housework, just to stay in her good books, now at my sons waiting for him to come home, and then we are child free for a week, I wonder what we could do together to fill in the time just remembered will have two of the boy's for church on Sunday, but that's only for a couple of hours. Sons in need to go catch you later
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  Petrol mower snoop...blinking hard work!
                  Petrol mower!! That's cheating. I imagined one of those push along mowers!
                  Snoop, I went to a Scythe Festival once, watched the race between the scythe and a brushcutter to clear a patch (the scythe won) and was so impressed I bought a scythe (Austrian).
                  There were ladies in flowery frocks, long hair blowing in the gentle breeze, effortlessly scything away. It was like something out of Thomas Hardy.
                  Nothing like me, when I tried scything at home As for using my peening jig
                  Don't think all the trees here helped as I couldn't get a good swing rhythm going!

Comment

• Myself and my brother and sister spent our summers at our maternal grandparents in Cumbria. Grandpa had a livery stable and riding school and made his own hay using a scythe. It is one of my everlasting memories being on top of the hay on the cart on the way to the hayrick. It was already old hat then so I'm probably one of the last to remember this rural tradition.
                    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                    Oxfordshire

Comment

• Good evening, still raining here, watching Gardeners World just now it's recorded so that I can flick through some parts, its really annoying when they go on about the great weather that they are having down south, however it just has to be accepted, was in the greenhouse for a time to pot on some plants, and take cuttings from some fuchsia, will be away for a few days so have decided to cover everything in the greenhouse with fleece. Just read JanieBs post and it brings back memories of a time long gone, and perhaps with all the hard work associated with it we should be thankful, but the memories are good.
                      Thanks for all the good wishes for our anniversary, I was looking for a card for my wife, but couldn't get one that I wanted, there was some which mentioned affectionate,(which she is) loving (yes) understanding (yeees) but none saying how fortunate she is or how she is a better judge of character than me. Goodnight
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Morning All, Up early on a day I don't need to be - Doh!

Allotment committee meeting today, let's hope the weather holds and no more rain and I may be able to get the rest of the onions in the ground!
                        sigpic
                        . .......Man Vs Slug
                        Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                        Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Mornin n'all n'all n'all.
                          I see Flo's room service has overslept?

Rubbish weather here today rary...thought that might cheer you up

looks like it's the last of the rugby today...3matches

Domestic chores for me today-what's everyone else up to?

Comment

• Oh...and rary!
                            Buying a card?....cor, I'd have thought you'd have made your own or recycled last years....

Congrats ...

Comment

• Good Morning Room Service starts work at 8 Nicos so cup of tea is on its way. Raining here. Enjoy your day
                              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Nice stories about scything, VC and JanieB. I keep thinking about getting a scythe because I'm reliant on Mr Snoop to wield the brushcutter (far too heavy and long for me to handle safely). Will ponder on. I've watched YouTube videos, VC, and they make it look so easy, but I talked to a friend who had one once and he said it was very difficult to do efficiently. Mr Snoop took the brushcutter out yesterday and has whipped off all the wild rocket flower heads for me, so at least that will stop them setting seed, though they're bound to stick up more, plus the seed blows in from all over the place here.

Anyway, in this morning's news: yet another hard frost. Will be making progress on the digging this weekend. And about time too!

Have a great weekend, everyone. Special hello to Zelenina for her help on my query about Verbote/Vorbote cabbage. Made my morning!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X