No announcement yet.

'The Big Allotment Challenge'

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been away from the computer for a while but unfortunately not away from the TV. I have been looking forward to reading what you guys thought of that piece of 'televisual shite'. I imagine the viewing figures for the first show were quite healthy. A good programme about lotties would be very much appreciated, any one remember a series fronted by Sophie Grigson several years ago? But dear oh dear 'The Big Allotment Challenge' was just awful. If you switched on knowing nothing about allotments, you'd have still known nothing when you switched off. Viewing figures must surely be well down for the next episode. I know for sure I won't be wasting another hour in front of that.

I noticed that GYO had an article about the programme in it this month. I do hope they don't continue to run stories relating to it. They can't possibly believe that real life veg growers (whether lottie holders or not) could be interested in this piece of junk.

It seems to me very telling that no established TV gardener is involved with the programme. I imagine several were asked and when they saw the format and what it was they would be fronting they told the Beeb to stuff it. Can you seriously imagine someone like Monty Don or Alan Titchmarsh putting their name to that crap? Lord above it could have been career killing.

It restored my faith in humanity reading the comments you 'grapes' have been posting, raised a smile too, thanks for that.

That's my rant over. Now please excuse me, I've got a bouquet to arrange. Oh good grief!!
    It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

• I did enjoy watching it although it wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I didn't quite understand a few things about the show, were they given the choice of which radish seeds to grow or did they give each team one different packet of radish seeds? Either way I'll watch it again next week.
      Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

• Oh wild horses wont keep me away from it this week, it will give me something to moan and winge about all next week. And you never know we may even see a slug or a dirty finger nail.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

• I for one know i will get a great deal of amusement from your ever whitty remarks bill

Comment

• Ok..its still pants...i love the emphasis on the importance of even chopping/precision cooking. dreadfull...but i shall keep watching it..its like britains got talent...i only watch it to moan about stuff..

Comment

• Missed the beans bit but caught up on wreathes, for God's sake what a stupid challenge, do people actually make floral wreathes except for funerals? I'll make one at Christmas for the front door but that's a whole different animal . Assume they didn't explain where they got the mature rose bushes from in 15 weeks? Too little emphasis on actually growing.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

• Managed less than 5 mins....nope it still does absolutely nothing for me....and the frustrating thing is that there could have been a massive opportunity thereto get peeps hooked on GYO.

What a waste of an opportunity * huuuumph...
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Episode 2 could easily have been a repeat of episode 1, almost identical. They need more variety to display the real skills needed to be an allotmenteer. How about building a cold frame out of second hand materials, or tracking down vandals and dispatching them with only a pitch fork. There is not enough about vegetables which after all is the main purpose of an allotment. Still not a slug in sight.
                  Last edited by Bill HH; 22-04-2014, 09:16 PM.
                  photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

• Oh No.........................have I missed it What a disappointment
                    And No, I've never heard of iplayer so don't even suggest it

Comment

• If rather watch this than "every other countries on" britains got talent

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                        Still not a slug in sight.
                        True, but there were blackfly, and greenfly, and what one allotmenteer thought were whitefly but were actually the dead husks of greenfly.

The trouble is, you start cheering on your favourites even though the challenges are often ridiculous. I have to watch the rest of the series now, I want to see Shirley and Victoria win. Either them, or ZZ Top.
                        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Blast I've been that engrossed in using the pointy stick I forgot all about this Doh!!!!
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                            True, but there were blackfly, and greenfly, and what one allotmenteer thought were whitefly but were actually the dead husks of greenfly.

The trouble is, you start cheering on your favourites even though the challenges are often ridiculous. I have to watch the rest of the series now, I want to see Shirley and Victoria win. Either them, or ZZ Top.
                            Shirley is my allotment plot next door neighbour is like to. See her win but must also agree I like the beardy boys

Comment

• Originally posted by Jakejakeyjakejake View Post
                              Shirley is my allotment plot next door neighbour is like to. See her win but must also agree I like the beardy boys

Why dont you ask her if she won?(then tell us)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                                Why dont you ask her if she won?(then tell us)
                                Or ask her who did win - then we won't have to watch it again!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X