No announcement yet.

'The Big Allotment Challenge'

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I watched it again, too... it's a funny mish mash. The gardening chap, Jim, seems on the verge of offering some detailed advice at times, which makes me sit forwards in my chair, but then suddenly the prog cuts to something completely different. Who the heck is it aimed at? I do find it a puzzle, but having said that, I enjoyed it last night, find myself rooting for quite a few of the teams (inc the brassy blondes, picking blackfly off with their false nails!) and was interested in what Jim said about the perfect runner bean and what Thane Prince said about relish. The wreath just seemed a waste of good flowers to me though.
    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
      Why dont you ask her if she won?(then tell us)
      Trust me I've tried !! Secrecy And all that

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

• I looked in... Ended up drifting off to Athletico Madrid.
        Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
        Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Jakejakeyjakejake View Post
          Trust me I've tried !! Secrecy And all that
          When did she stop going down to Oxford last year?

Comment

• I watched it again.
            I did enjoy it more this week because I have accepted that it isn't an allotment program as such, but a mish mash of things that include some pretty pictures of things being grown.

I too leaned in to hear more about the secrets of runner beans. There were a few snippets - like don't put them out too early, and they need a rich soil, but nothing new.

I like the fact they name the varieties and meant to whizz back through and see which beans were the winning variety, but I couldn't be bothered by then.

Flowers don't do it for me, but I did enjoy the demo of making a wreath and watching the others make them. The filming shows some really bare wreaths which made me laugh imagining them being the finished product.

What's a relish? I saw chopped up raw veg and what looked like chutneys to me.

Again I want a recipe from them - the school teachers radish recipe at least!

Comment

• As a TV programme I quite enjoyed it *ducks and covers*....... But then again all it needs is close ups of a few plants and I'm happy...

Sanity is for those with no grasp of reality

Comment

• it was that good I switched off after about 10 minutes and went and listened to the rain on the conservatory roof..............but because i'm a glutton for punishment I bet i'll tune in next week...

Comment

• Originally posted by mrswadders View Post
                  because i'm a glutton for punishment

G4 has an alter-ego
                  He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• I watched it again, with no expectations this time, it definately lived up to it.

I'll continue to watch no doubt but wouldn't it be great to get a real allotment TV show?
                    My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                      When did she stop going down to Oxford last year?
                      Possible the finals hard to know it was most of the filming

Comment

• Am a wee bit suspicious of how many of the annual flowers & foliage were brought in as garden centre plants rather than grown from seed - the timescale doesn't seem very realistic for some of them.

I don't think the format has the appeal of Bake-off or Masterchef, but with lower expectations this week I quite enjoyed it.

Comment

• Gardening is 95% graft and grime and 5% what you might loosely term 'glamour' i.e. admiring the garden in full bloom, harvesting the fruit and veg, cutting flowers etc.

This programme portrays gardening as 95% 'glamour' and 5% graft and grime. Good for a television series, but not an accurate portrayal of how gardening actually is.

The camararderie of gardening is delightfully presented though. It does bring people together and that at least comes across very nicely.
                          Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
                          Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

• Said last week that I wouldn't waste another minute on this crap and so didn't watch the second episode. Took the opportunity of asking my fellow plot holders what they thought of it today. Every single person I asked said they thought it was complete rubbish. I really hope they bin the next series, it might be giving us lottie holders a bad name.

Caught up with last Thursday's Beechgrove Garden on I-player yesterday. There was a 5-7 minute section about one of the presenters visiting a new allotment site. In those few minutes we learned more about lottie holding than, I suspect, The Great Allotment Challenge will teach us in an entire series.
                            It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              Or ask her who did win - then we won't have to watch it again!!
                              veggiechicken. Believe me you don't HAVE to watch it. We have recently been decorating and as such have some wet paint that you can watch drying. I'm sure you'd enjoy it much more. If you pop round we can have a chat about veg. gardening and lottie holding. That way we'll be able to learn a little something from one another and avoid the mind numbing twaddle that is 'The Great Allotment Challenge.
                              It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

• Originally posted by snuffer View Post
                                I really hope they bin the next series, it might be giving us lottie holders a bad name.

I am actually consider gardening in a knee length skirt and heels, and false nails.

Not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X