Searching

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flowertot View Post
    I think as a newbie someone posting a link to another thread thats relevent is really helpful, and is quite a thoughtful thing for another member of the site to do - completely different to saying 'just use the search facility'
    I agree. As I have said the search facility is not very capable or helpful unless you have a lot of time to spare reading the same stuff over and over, looking for what you want to know but not finding it.

Comment

I will have to work out how to copy and paste posts!

Just wanted to add that the first thread I ever posted was a pic of my lovingly nutured tomato plants suffering from 'an evil disease' which turned out to be scorch! I'd spent hrs scouring google images trying to work out what deadly virus/fungus had attacked by beloved plants. Scorch has Im sure been covered many times on here, but a couple of people were good enough to take the time to help me with a bit of advice - since then other newbies have posted similarly and Ive been able to comment in turn and say 'yeah mine had that - its scorch, not some dreaded lurge'....

Comment

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
        I didn't realise that giving advice on a forum was unpaid voluntary work. I thought it was something you did because you had a common interest with other like minded people.
        Wise words there Donna,spot on in my honest opinion,I admit to not being very knowledgeable at gardening & am really more of a "social" member here,however in my own field of expertise I did once write 12 pages of text with 15 pages of pictures & 6 pages of CAD drawings to explain to a Croatian how to change the fuel injector pump on his 4x4,the bulk of which would have been searchable on that particular forum (as I had written most of it before but not the pictures or drawings),it would have been so fractured it would have taken many hours to find.I spent the time doing it happy in the knowledge that I was helping someone with less knowledge & experience than myself & would do it again if needed the best "buzz" was his last message & video of his car running.
        Further I would add that there is no such thing as a "stupid question" as I posted earlier in another thread "if in doubt,shout" is the modicum I was taught to work by.
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

That's how it should work Flowertot, cascading the information from one to the other! Thanks for all your positive comments here.
          PS if you want to post a link to another thread, just go to the thread title, right click and select "Copy link address"; then paste it wherever you like!!

Comment

One of my first posts on here was when I was all excited about finding a stray bean plant in one of my beds that actually turned out to be bindweed. <sigh>

Was that really only a few short weeks ago??

Anyway, thanks to all the helpful people on here I was soon put right (quite gently actually)

If I had another question or problem I would try to use the search but more likely I would appeal to the other Grapes - my very own gardening support group.

It is because of the helpful friendly nature of everyone on here, and the way that total newbies are helped and guided that I have decided to stay and make this forum my home from home in the hope that one day I can help someone else as I was helped in the beginning.

Andy
            http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

I will have to work out how to copy and paste posts!

Just wanted to add that the first thread I ever posted was a pic of my lovingly nutured tomato plants suffering from 'an evil disease' which turned out to be scorch!
              What you mean like .................

Hi all, looking for some advice about my tomatoes. This is my second year of growing and some of my Tomatoes aren't doing very well. they have developed patchy papery splodges on the leaves. Can't see anything that looks remotely similar on the net so does anyone have any thoughts? Wondered if it was from overwatering or a disease maybe. Oh and they are inside on my windowsill at the moment.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28645[/ATTACH]

If so.what I did was find your first post (went to your profile & then search posts),open the thread then click .. Reply With Quote then copy the the reply box & paste here

Comment

I'll never forget the night some of us learned to multiquote on the chat thread! Deleted long ago -but that evening we rocked!
                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Multi-quote is a nice logical extension on cascading quotes (although cascade can still be done manually)

What it might be nice to have is a section of How To's,with things like using + - " " in search terms and what each command does.

Comment

I like that idea BB. I'm clueless on the finer points of doing stuff on here, searching, inserting images etc and I don't find the FAQs very helpful. They seem to start at a level above the one I'm at.

Comment

TBH VC I was not even aware of forum FAQ's,but having previously part owned a forum,there were some things that had to be learnt of necessity.

Things like .... Tags [?] link [/?]

for picture substitute ? use .... img
                      for direct play Utube etc use ....video

Comment

See, I don't understand a word of that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

I concur with the opening post and have thought the same myself. Well said.
                          Spelling errors are my area of expertise. Apologies if my jumbled up mind/words cause offence.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                            ...Surely Pickie must have seen a post and taken umbridge to it.
                            It's a very rare day indeed that would see Pickie/Pikie/Pikle or even Pisk taken umbridge to anything - honest.

My post was not aimed at any one post or poster at all, honest truly.

I am on another forum where this 'go use the search function' is so oft used - thankfully it isn't here, well - not so much these days. But it has (and does get used) on occasion - and in some cases (like my chocolate thread) maybe rightly so - I didn't take offence at it and I appreciated that the links had been put there for me.

But, please Zaz, as I say - this (my op) wasn't about anything more than thinking stuff - and wondering how it would be if it happened on a site - promise

.....ETA: himself should be flying back in this morning (nice weather for it!!) and so I'll be back in me lil box
                            Last edited by piskieinboots; 21-06-2012, 05:06 AM.
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                              I may ruffle a few feathers with this post but please humour me - I'm home-alone and have too much time to over-think things.

When a question is asked in here (usually on Veg actually, but you get my drift) we see responses such as 'this have been covered many times' and 'use the search function'...

Just saying
                              Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                              It's a very rare day indeed that would see Pickie/Pikie/Pikle or even Pisk taken umbridge to anything - honest.

My post was not aimed at any one post or poster at all, honest truly.

I am on another forum where this 'go use the search function' is so oft used - thankfully it isn't here, well - not so much these days. But it has (and does get used) on occasion - and in some cases (like my chocolate thread) maybe rightly so - I didn't take offence at it and I appreciated that the links had been put there for me.

But, please Zaz, as I say - this (my op) wasn't about anything more than thinking stuff - and wondering how it would be if it happened on a site - promise
                              But the answer on your chocolate spot thread was not 'use the search button'. It was links to threads that could answer your question.

And you definitely said it was about this forum.

What I'm confused about is why bring to everyone's attention that people are perceived rude on here and start a discussion about something when it is not actually happening all that often? If at all.

Comment

For example I've just typed in the search 'care of chillie plants' and was given 16 pages of threads including the minor rant thread and chatback.

Then I searched 'caring for chillie plants' and got 17 pages of threads.

'chillie plants' got 16 pages again.

So how do you refine your search?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X