Searching

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    So, if we're all in agreement that the search function is evil and to be discouraged, should we have it removed?
    I like the search function - so there

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      I like the search function - so there
      Yeh!!!...and so do I!

Best of both worlds me thinks?????
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I am unable to use the search facility here without bring up oodles of info but find if I google a question it will usually bring up this site and I can then read through information/answers some several years old. People probably ask the same questions because we all pretty much have the same problems especially anyone new to growing vegetables. I am sure everyone appreciates it when replies are helpful even if we are re-directed to older posts.
        A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

I've actually been impressed with how rarely people are just told to use the search function. That's part of why I like this forum so well.
          March is the new winter.

Comment

When I first joined I answered as many questions as I could.( tis always a rewarding feeling you've helped someone through a problem!)
            Then as new peeps joined it was refreshing to see them help others...and then in turn new peeps passed on their views/advice- as well as the Grapes who have been here longer.

It's nice to see shy, quiet new Grapes feel confident enough to help others with less experience.
            Yes- of course it's a 'pain' seeing yet another thread about 'greenfly' /'cat poo' etc- or whatever- but ya know- we all have to learn somewhere!

The Search facility is brill- but doesn't always come up with the exact threads without a bit of perusing...although I have to say that The GYO search facility is actually more selective than other forums ( non veggie/fruity)I sometimes visit!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Just to give the view from the other side of the fence (the side that's getting the mud slung at it)
              No mud slinging from me - I was (and am) just over-thinking stuff. I do use the Search but it is nowhere near as sweet and lovely as having you tell me what to do and where to go
              aka
              Suzie

Comment

I try searching first and if I can't find what I am looking for, within my brief concentration span, I ask a question!
                Then I get embarrassed because the answer was there under my nose all the time
                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Just to give the view from the other side of the fence (the side that's getting the mud slung at it):

Some people give thorough, lengthy, time-consuming, thoughtful answers to questions. This takes time, time for which they aren't paid.

Are they then expected to type that answer out 10, 20, 30, 100 times? I for one, ain't got that much time

And then, do we really want to have 15,000 threads discussing the best way to deal with greenfly? Rather than keeping the Vine nice and tidy and redirecting newbies to the really informative threads that we already have?
                  If you don't have the time then don't do it. Write a book. The really informative threads that you talk about are unknown except to those that write them. The search facility is pants unless you have three days or more to trawl through the results, by which time it may be too late to do what was necessary to resolve a problem.

I didn't realise that giving advice on a forum was unpaid voluntary work. I thought it was something you did because you had a common interest with other like minded people.

Comment

Yep, it's been a long day

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...pot_66035.html

It was Bren anyway, not me
                    I'm still confused. Bren just posted 2 links to threads already running; she didn't say 'use the search facility'.

I'm just trying to understand what the issue is. If nobody has actually said 'use the search facility newbie' then what is the problem with posting links to threads that answer the question?

Comment

I've only recently discovered this site and I think its wonderful. Ive learned more about growing on here in a few weeks that I could have imagined, and thats because I've been able to pick all of your brains. Personally Ive never experienced being told to use search function but I can imagine it might make a newbie feel a bit stupid, and reluctant to post a question in future - No one is obligated to reply to a thread so I guess its just as easy to pass one over rather than reply in a way that makes someone new feel small or unwelcome. All the experienced growers who take the time to help novices like myself do a grand job and I for one appreciate anyone who takes time to try and offer advice in response to a thread I've posted.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                        I'm still confused. Bren just posted 2 links to threads already running; she didn't say 'use the search facility'.

I'm just trying to understand what the issue is. If nobody has actually said 'use the search facility newbie' then what is the problem with posting links to threads that answer the question?
                        Use the search facility to find posts about grapes telling people to use the search facility.

And well said Flowertot

Comment

Originally posted by cardiffsteve View Post
                          Use the search facility to find posts about grapes telling people to use the search facility.
                          I could - but I'm trying to work out why this thread exists in the first place. Surely Pickie must have seen a post and taken umbridge to it.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                            I could - but I'm trying to work out why this thread exists in the first place. Surely Pickie must have seen a post and taken umbridge to it.
                            Whats the Archers got to do with it

Comment

I think as a newbie someone posting a link to another thread thats relevent is really helpful, and is quite a thoughtful thing for another member of the site to do - completely different to saying 'just use the search facility'

Comment

Be quiet Steve.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X