This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
    Its a discrace really, but unfortunately his uniform is something large swathes of the chattering classes dont want to see.
    However enjoy the liberties that the uniform provides for all!
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

And some individuals are just plain ignorant, whatever community they come from. Don't make the mistake that they are representative of the opinions of all.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I do believe there is some thing in the Constitution of the CO-OP that persons in uniform cannot be served.
        I think it has something to do with in case they expect free stuff.

There was a similar incident a few years ago with a policeman being refused serviced.
        Nothing to do with the Nephew being a soldier, shame he dint have a big coat on top.

It is very archaic though.
        Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Lets hope it was just one person's stupid behaviour....i can remember when I was very young and very silly and i hought i was a pacifist that i was very anti the armed forces, wouldnt wear a red poppy blah blah ...thank goodness i grew out of it.
          I understand from the previous threads what could have happened here ...and dogmatic fundamentalism is always dangerous however it is derived.....
          as with the others really hope that it was not Co-op policy!
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

What was he buying?

As far as I can see after a little googling; it is against the law to serve alcohol to people in uniform as it implies that they are 'at work'....perhaps the server got a little confused [and is on a warning and thus doesn't want to break rules and risk their job].....

Did he call a manager and explain the situation?

Comment

I am horrified; there was a time not so long ago that people in uniform were welcomed and even offered discounts, freebies, etc.
              Not that they were expecting this, people just offered as a show of appreciation of the fact that they put their lives on the line for the rest of us.
              Now, the services have to go about in civvies, or cover up with a big coat - how ridiculous.
              When the cadets were told they had to wear coats to cover their uniforms a while back, I assumed it was because of the sad incidence of a cadet being attacked and killed in Liverpool. But he wasnt even wearing his uniform at the time.

I can honestly say that around here, the young people, cadets and adult forces, get respect that goes with the uniform - at least from the adults if not the some of the other kids.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

On Remembrance Sunday in Barnsley, all the pubs bought every service Man & Woman, serving or retired a drink as a THANK YOU for what they have done/are doing, so we can enjoy freedom and choice to go about our business in relative safety.
                I'm NOT a racist, what I am is patriotic and proud of our armed forces.

These narrow minded people want to think about that when they want to play silly beggars, if they don't like what we as a nation stand for, then let them go somewhere else where they can peddle there views to other narrow minded people.

Sorry.....Rant over.

Comment

As a former serviceman of 24 years man and boy, this disgusts me.

I was always treated with the utmost respect whenever I wore my uniform in public.

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                    Mad as hell, My mate's nephew is 18 and because he had just ended his passing out parade popped into a mini c*-*p in Brookmans Park in his army uniform and because he was in army uniform was refused service. My friend is doing his nut so I've just spoken to the newsdesk and maybe they'll do something about it
                    Does sound all very strange, maybe as a couple of people have tried to say above, there was a sense of confusion about rules etc about this. However, wouldn't have thought that a cartoon paper like the Mail was exactly the best paper to contact though as unfortunately very little that they print can be taken with any sense of reliability.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      What was he buying?

As far as I can see after a little googling; it is against the law to serve alcohol to people in uniform as it implies that they are 'at work'....perhaps the server got a little confused [and is on a warning and thus doesn't want to break rules and risk their job].....

Did he call a manager and explain the situation?
                      This is what i thought as well.
                      I work for Tesco and I seem to remember something about not serving police officers if they have a hat on for the same reason that they are "on duty".I may be totally wrong and it may be the uniform/alcohol rule.It certainly aint pies/chocolate etc because we get enough of them in buying those!

Comment

Has anyone actually phoned the shop's manager to find out what actually happened?

We may all be getting disgusted and het up about a misunderstanding ...?
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Don't ya just love it.

Paramedic tried to buy wine wearing only his thong after supermarket staff 'refused to serve him in uniform' | Mail Online
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

You're talking about the shop that won't let aged adults buy alcohol if their whole party hasn't got ID....I'm not saying I agree with the rules [I don't] but the rules are there and by golly, they apply them!!!
                            Last edited by zazen999; 06-02-2010, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              Does sound all very strange, maybe as a couple of people have tried to say above, there was a sense of confusion about rules etc about this. However, wouldn't have thought that a cartoon paper like the Mail was exactly the best paper to contact though as unfortunately very little that they print can be taken with any sense of reliability.
                              I agree, this paper has never been one to let the facts get in the way of a good reaction

Comment

I think it is disgusting he wasn't served. Can you keep us up to date on any further developments? And please pass on my congrats on his passing out, and tell him that some people in this country are very proud of all our service lads & lassies!
                                Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X