X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course it isn't a new phenomenon...

Rudyard Kipling: Tommy
    Today's mistake is tomorrow's compost...

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepish View Post
      Of course it isn't a new phenomenon...

Rudyard Kipling: Tommy
      Thankyou Sheepish for the link. Says it all.

In my opinion until we as world citizens respect each and every others creeds and opinions without taking offence we are doomed. Without taking sides in this particular debate I can fully understand the disgust at the possibly intended insult. But......it's a long story......

Comment

Snowdrop has been a serving military chappie for 29 years (still on-going), he does not wear his uniform in public, unless it is for Remembrance etc.

My son asked 'why doesn't he, he should be proud of it?' - I said 'he is very very proud of it, but sadly it brings out the worst in some people' - and I'm not talking about 'peoples not of this parish', I'm talking about scuddy chav types that want to pick a fight.
        Last edited by piskieinboots; 07-02-2010, 10:24 PM.
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
          Snowdrop has been a serving military chappie for 29 years (still on-going), he does not wear his uniform in public, unless it is for Remembrance etc.

My son asked 'why doesn't he, he should be proud of it?' - I said 'he is very very proud of it, but sadly it brings out the worst in some people' - and I'm not talking about 'peoples not of this parish', I'm talking about scuddy chav types that want to pick a fight.
          'tis true. My OH got mugged in his shortly after returning from the 1st Gulf war (at the tender age of 18). He still has a scar.
          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
            'tis true. My OH got mugged in his shortly after returning from the 1st Gulf war (at the tender age of 18). He still has a scar.
            poor lad

aka
            Suzie

Comment

It would be interesting to hear the shop assistant's reason for not serving him, if it was for some personal reason to do with it being a military uniform then that is terrible but if it's to do with some point of law or store rules then it's just unfortunate. Our Co-op store has a rule that you're not allowed to wear a hat or anything covering your head, crash helmet, cap etc., that's largely so that they can see you clearly on the CCTV as there are so many robberies! I've even been asked by a security guard to remove my furry hat when I've gone in there in the evening & forgot I was wearing one & I probably look the least likely shoplifter/robber in history, my O.H. was highly offended on my behalf as he said they were assuming I was a thief but I wasn't bothered as long as they treat everybody the same.
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                He's totally livid and said if he was still here he'd go there in full uniform and give them merry hell - he's 6'8 and about 20 stone
                If he wants to send the uniform over I'll go in for him.

I don't read a paper.
                A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I dont read papers any more, to many priciples they try to push on the readers. The Sun eveb though a cheap tabloid would jump on this and make it big news.

Comment

The Daily wail can't print Colin's nephew as a newly qualified recruit heading for that location there dodgy land, it was too risky security wise.

Local MP is onto it and through rest of family it sounds like it will be in local rag, there were no justifiable grounds for not serving him apparently it is a 'divide' issue :-(
                    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Can I be the first to say that I don't believe the events, I receive numerous emails and hear many such stories as this on an almost daily basis and none of them are ever what they seem. How come these stories are never first hand accounts but are always retold through the friend of a friend or a mates relative?
                      In all honesty I'm sick and tired of people passing on falsehoods and half truths in an attempt to stir up hatred/get their fifteen minutes of fame or for whatever reason they wish, do they not realise it is they that are perpetuating the so called "divide"?.
                      Last edited by Rixy; 09-02-2010, 10:43 AM.
                      It was dark. And cold. And very, very empty.

And in the middle of all of the dark, cold, emptiness lay something darker, and colder, but very, very full.

Comment

Originally posted by Rixy View Post
                        Can I be the first to say that I don't believe the events, I receive numerous emails and hear many such stories as this on an almost daily basis and none of them are ever what they seem. How come these stories are never first hand accounts but are always retold through the friend of a friend or a mates relative?
                        In all honesty I'm sick and tired of people passing on falsehoods and half truths in an attempt to stir up hatred/get their fifteen minutes of fame or for whatever reason they wish, do they not realise it is they that are perpetuating the so called "divide"?.
                        A bit harsh...why ever would you think Hayley is trying to stir up trouble.
                        Just because there are many urban myths in constant circulation,doesn't mean you should dismiss every story that you 'think' could be one too.What an unsympathetic world we'll become if everybody stops believing stories that matter,just in case they're not genuine.
                        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
                          A bit harsh...why ever would you think Hayley is trying to stir up trouble.
                          Just because there are many urban myths in constant circulation,doesn't mean you should dismiss every story that you 'think' could be one too.What an unsympathetic world we'll become if everybody stops believing stories that matter,just in case they're not genuine.
                          I'm sorry if my statement was ambiguous enough to intimate that Hayley was trying to stir up trouble, but inadvertently she has. She has passed on an account of something that may or may not have happened and already the posts of indignation, disgust and outrage have started, these all based on a "supposed" event and not one shred of concrete evidence provided so far.

I'm not sorry for suspecting that every tale I hear nowadays that resembles the above is nothing more than a tale from a bandwagon jumper, a sympathy gatherer or an out an out attempt to create trouble, especially when they are supplied as second and oft third hand accounts. It is the deliberate spreading of these rumours which are oft times false that help to create the ill feeling, distrust and fear and in turn perpetuate the so called "divide". As for the Daily Mail deciding it was a non-story good for them (although rather surprising).
                          It was dark. And cold. And very, very empty.

And in the middle of all of the dark, cold, emptiness lay something darker, and colder, but very, very full.

Comment

This whole kind of behavior happens quite a lot in sheffield and it makes me sick every time I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rixy View Post
                              I'm sorry if my statement was ambiguous enough to intimate that Hayley was trying to stir up trouble, but inadvertently she has. She has passed on an account of something that may or may not have happened and already the posts of indignation, disgust and outrage have started, these all based on a "supposed" event and not one shred of concrete evidence provided so far.
                              Its a bit like the images used to advertise [the Gardiaun???]; one shows a skinhead charging towards a little old lady and the people looking on in disgust - another showing the pile of bricks just about to drop on her and people looking on in respect.....it all depends on the point of view.

Personally, if this had actually happened to someone I knew; I'd try to address it through the proper procedures such as making a complaint to the shop in question; no way on earth would my first reaction be to call the Daily Mail [of all newspapers not known for their balanced viewpoint] and post on an internet forum so that the whole world can find out [something that may not even be true]......but hey ho - we all have different points of view and different ways of reacting to situations.
                              Last edited by zazen999; 09-02-2010, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I don't think this can be dismissed as an urban myth. It was Hayley's friend's nephew. If my friend told me about something that happened to her/his nephew, unless I knew my friend to be a pathological liar, I would believe it

What I can't quite understand is what justification the shop has given for refusing to serve the lad... as someone else pointed out it could be a security issue, i.e. he had his hat on. I'd love to hear what the shop said, if you know that Hayley?
                                Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X