crazy lazy things to buy in shops...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
    the one that makes me mutter (in a mad old woman style) is pots of ready made jelly....why???
    I used to get those for younger son when he went to the childminder. At that time I couldn't get little pots that sealed well enough to pack in his 'to go' bag.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
      the one that makes me mutter (in a mad old woman style) is pots of ready made jelly....why???
      I must admit my daughter loves these and there are always some in the fridge lol we do make jelly somtimes but only the weight watchers ones as oh is diabetic and he can have these but its getting harder and harder to find them, most of the supermarkets have stopped selling them, the last place I bought some was at Endsleigh garden centre lol
      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
      and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
        I must admit my daughter loves these and there are always some in the fridge lol we do make jelly somtimes but only the weight watchers ones as oh is diabetic and he can have these but its getting harder and harder to find them, most of the supermarkets have stopped selling them, the last place I bought some was at Endsleigh garden centre lol
        Rowntree do sachets of sugar free jelly crystals
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by blackkitty View Post
          Frozen chopped onions. The one that really drives me mad actually is frozen yorkshire puds.
          I buy frozen yorkshire puddings all the time. I have no problem with them whatsoever. When the OH was between jobs years ago he worked in a YP factory and there is nothing nasty goes in them, no nasty fats or preservatives, and if you buy them from M&S or co-op ones they're made with free-range eggs. Compared with my attempts at YP, which come out like a horrid flat stodgy biscuit thing

Comment

Originally posted by vikkib View Post
            My OH does this too! He wanders off and I have to confess it takes me a few minutes to notice that I'm ranting to myself!

On a couple of occasions recently, though, I've been pleased to find I've been joined by fellow ranters.

I wonder what the collective noun for a group of ranters is...
            Even funnier when HB starts in Asda! The look on people faces is priceless, most 13 year old dont visit asda let alone do full shop and know the cost of food, she was ranting about the red pepper being 78p the other day and how when ours are ready they were free( much thanks to Frosty) One man must of been a veg grower, shaking head in agreement one woman looking at her as if she had horns growing out of her head and the two staff from asda was pure surprise!!

Comment

Originally posted by blackkitty View Post
              Frozen chopped onions. The one that really drives me mad actually is frozen yorkshire puds.
              They're very handy if you live on your own. My mum only wants one and you can't divide the eggs in the mix for such a small amount. If you're doing for a lot of people then obvioulsy it's much easier to make your own.

OH's aunt does frozen roast potatoes, they're not very nice and not really any easier than making from real potatoes.

Originally posted by Alice View Post
              Little trays of creamed potatoes - amazes me.
              Saw them in the COOP the other day in the veg section - OH looked a bit embarrased when I mentioned loudly that they weren't exactly fresh veg. Same goes for ready prepped jacket potatoes. Why?

Originally posted by StephenH View Post
              Bread-making machines. It's much more fun to make bread the old-fashioned way.
              Now my breadmaker is fab, if I want freshly cooked bread to make sandwiches for work it's the only way to go. Am not getting up THAT early to make it even if I can go back to bed for a bit while it's proving.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Mine has to be frozen roast potatos !!! and Yorkshire puddings !!! The frozen ice cubes in bags i must admit when i had a standard freezer if we were having a party i used to spend days making and bagging the cubes up ready, but i have got one of them american fridge freezers in garage and it makes it own, am sure thats cheaper in the long run ?

Comment

So I guess I should do without Yorkshire puddings altogether as I don't have the knack of making them myself?! Or just waste hours of time, electric, and ingredients trying to get them right...

Comment

We used to buy bags of ice cubes all the time. We both like our drinks (cordial) very cold and the water was never very cold in our house - even if you let it run for a while (in itself not very eco). As we mainly drink cordial we'd get through a couple of bags a week on a normal week. Ice trays were a pain in the @rse, and we'd be forever filling up the trays.

We now have a water dispenser/ice maker fridge freezer thingy - so bags are no longer necessary.

I'm sure I've seen things that make me think "why?", but nothing I can remember now.
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Yorkshire puds

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                      So I guess I should do without Yorkshire puddings altogether as I don't have the knack of making them myself?! Or just waste hours of time, electric, and ingredients trying to get them right...
                      I was the same with yorkshire puds tried millions of different receipes and just couldnt get it right, i went on that uk tv food website and got tanay ramseys receipe for yorkshire puds, it was my last attempt before aunt bessies !!!! and it works dont ask me why but they come out huge everytime !

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                        Originally posted by louisesgarden View Post
                        I was the same with yorkshire puds tried millions of different receipes and just couldnt get it right, i went on that uk tv food website and got tanay ramseys receipe for yorkshire puds, it was my last attempt before aunt bessies !!!! and it works dont ask me why but they come out huge everytime !
                        I finally found this recipe which works great - huge fluffy puds like you get in the big carveries. BBC - Radio 2 - Shows - Chris Evans - Videos -The Live Yorkshire Pudding Cook-A-Long To be honest though, 6 eggs for a dozen yorkies is a lot so I only make them when I have an egg mountain - rest of the time I buy the frozen ones.
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

After years of disasterous YP's - I started using a Gordon Ramsay recipe from one of his books - they come out massive and don't implode or collapse when they come out of the oven.

Comment

We've found a recipe that the OH can get to rise, but it has so many eggs in that it's more like unsweetened cake! And when you don't have your own hens, it starts getting a bit expensive when you add in the cost of having the oven at full heat. I have no problem with buying a packet of frozen ones, I just have a problem with people who have a problem with it If it's winter I often make dumplings or corner puddings instead, coz I'm quite good at them!

Comment

I make YPs with 3 eggs and they rise nicely in muffin tins big fluffy Yorkies, although lately they've been sticking at the bottom which has driven me nuts.

I use ice cube bags they are easy to fill.

Ready made mash - eeeeeyuuk
                              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

before eating, my kids always ask if they are frozen or mum made yorkies (like they cant tell from the shape and size).

I will and always will use aunt bessies - only cos mine are carp!!!

In german shops you can buy sliced hamburger and hot dog rolls and they are 30 cents more expensive than the unsliced - now that is lazy, and expensive

Tracy
                                www.tuscana.net 2 junctions from disney, fully equipped apartment. unit 1307 if anyone wants to book their accomodation

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X