• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Morning All Drizzly here. Breakfast on its way. Have a lovely Sunday
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Morning

Its wet and windy here so not much outdoor gardening just harvesting later for dinner.

Enjoy your day
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning all.

Rary, Mr GF says he got sixpence a pound for rosehips during the war. He had to take them to the town hall. He says you could also get sixpence per rats tail at the same place.

It looks like the depths of Winter here. Totally miserable. What's even worse is that in a few weeks we lose the evening daylight and go back to GMT.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Quite a chill start to the day, but the sun is trying to peep through and the wind has dropped.
          Indoor stuff for me today and hopefully a quick trip to a vide grenier ( they sell yummy sausage in baguettes there so OH is already thinking it’s worth a trip)
          Bren - I picked a couple of conference pears off the tree to have with my porridge today. Nice not to have windfalls for a change!
          If the rain holds off I’d like to pick more blackberries too.

I noticed the weather forecast has changed so the thread of frost for me has gone - at least for now!

Enjoy your day peeps- see ya later…and remember to post piccies please in our competition!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Good morning all.
            Bright and sunny here but of course, rain forecast later.
            Off to church shortly.
            Grandson is coming for lunch.
            Going out for dinner this evening with my daughter and don in law
            I guess that's my day sorted.
            Have a good onel

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Off out to the vide grenier. The sun is shining so all is well .

Comment

• I've been missing in action again, another week in hospital with an internal bleed that had me collapse in a heap with blood coming from places it shouldn't, stomach polyps named as the likely culprits and I'm still on light duties but back in the greenhouse again, had another CT scan last week to check the cancer is still absent, so awaiting results. Hope all are in better nick than I have been lately, at least that's three stays in hospital, hope that's broke the chain and already pplanning for next season.

Comment

• Afternoon all.
                  Gosh, Burnie,you're really being put through the mill. I hope you are well on the mend again.

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                  That sounds interesting, mothhawk. We have a wild rose on our land and it is absolutely covered in hips. Each one small but they make up for it in number. I shall have a look at making syrup. Do you have a preferred recipe or any tips?
                  I use Hugh F-W's River Cottage recipe, it's easy and always turns out well.

I'm too young to have collected hips for the war effort, but well remember having Delrosa in winter as a child, that and cod liver oil and malt, and loved them both.
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

• Afternoon all.

Crumbs, burnie. You really have been through it recently. Fingers crossed for you that that's you sorted now.

Thanks for the advice, mothhawk. I'll check that out. That said, I find it hard to believe anyone loved cod liver oil. I never had it with malt, so maybe that made the difference. I remember having it at nursery school, washed down by some thick orange-coloured concentrate, presumably vitamin C. Almost as bad as the cod liver oil...

Not sure what to say about today. Started off productively. Cleaned the chimney and the range. Then a hunter's beagle-type dog turned up. Very friendly and very docile, but a sight to see, nearly all skin and bones with some huge growth dangling from its chest. Not abandoned though, as it had a hunter's tracking device as part of its collar. We managed to sort out who its owner is and Mr Snoop delivered it to the guy. Mr Snoop was almost in tears when he got back. Terrible owner with a lovely dog. Left us both quite upset.

Anyway, lots of stuff to keep me occupied for the rest of the day, so better step on it. Hope you all had great days. Sounds like you must have done and that the smiles will come back in an extra jolly mood.

Comment

• Afternoon

Sorry to read you've been in hospital again Burnie, fingers crossed your results are good. xx

Hope you found some bargains Nicos.

Snoop I can't remember having cod liver oil but we did have Halibut orange tablets we called them Albert oranges
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good grief Burnie- that’s awful. Really hoping that they’ve got you sorted now . Worrying times for you and your family.
                        Enjoy your light duties in the greenhouse x

Poor dog Snoop. We sometimes see them running loose here- losing the rest of the pack whilst out hunting. They do seem in reasonable condition though. Have you thought about offering to buy him off the owner? If he’s not keeping up with the rest of them or going off on his own the owner might shoot him. Do ex hunting dogs make good pets I wonder.

We didn’t stay very long at the vide grenier but bought a few items for our granddaughter including a wooden Melissa and Doug wooden dolls house and contents for 3€ . Same as the one we paid 5€ for but with more family members. We’ll keep the original one here and take over this one. That’s a ridiculous price isn’t it? I quite fancy making more things to go in it now!

Comment

• Wondered how you were burnie hope all goes well from now on x
                          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Burnie, I'm glad you're back out of hospital and back in the greenhouse. It must be a very worrying time. Everything crossed for you🤞.

It sounds as if you have got real bargains there, Nicos. I used to love going to proper car boot sales at 6am on a Summer Sunday morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                              Poor dog Snoop. We sometimes see them running loose here- losing the rest of the pack whilst out hunting. They do seem in reasonable condition though. Have you thought about offering to buy him off the owner? If he’s not keeping up with the rest of them or going off on his own the owner might shoot him. Do ex hunting dogs make good pets I wonder.
                              If it turns up again, we've said we'll ponder the issue. The trouble is a hunting dog is likely to go for the cat and we're hoping in the spring to get chickens and we let those free range during the day. It's one thing teaching a puppy the chickens are off limits and quite another thing teaching an adult hunting dog. Plus, in this case, we'd be taking on a dog with an obvious but unknown and potentially very expensive problem.

Comment

• Good evening sll.

Burnie, so sorry to hear yo7ve been in hospital and feeling poorly.
                                I hope you will be back to full health soon.

Snoop, so sad and upsetting to hear about that poor dog.
                                I think it might be too much for you to take on what with the cats and the chickens.

Nicos, Having a grandaughter puts a whole new perspective on shopping or doing car boot sales, you start seeing everything she might like.

Mothhawk, we were also given cod liver oil daily, also Virol which was a lot like malt.

Have a good night all.

And when your back stops aching,
                                And your hands begin to harden.
                                You will find yourself a partner,
                                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...