This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning all.

It's just started raining here with a vengeance! I was sitting by an open window and felt the sudden temperature drop as the wind picked up, then the heavens opened, and I closed the window sharpish! Definitely an indoors day today. I gave the garden a sprinkling of sulphate of potash yesterday, so the rain will be settling that in well at least.

Right, time for a cuppa and breakfast - porridge weather methinks.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

• Porridge here too MH

I’m feeling really chuffed with myself in that I brought back loads of packets of organic oats from our uk trip.
      They are hard to find here and stupidly expensive.Fortunately it’s one of the few foodstuffs I can actually import!

I guess we’ll be eating it most days now- which was the plan
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning

Heavy rain here for the day its running down our road like a river porridge here as well MH topped with apple sauce and yoghurt. It sound like Nicos is well stocked porridge (oats or pinhead) is my favourite breakfast along with eggy bread.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning.

6°C and raining here. By tomorrow night it looks as if we have minus numbers back in the forecast again. 🥶

Make sure you put all your oats safe from the local pests Nicos. It would be a shame for them to get eaten by something else.

Comment

• Good Morning All Raining here too. Have a good day
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post

Make sure you put all your oats safe from the local pests Nicos. It would be a shame for them to get eaten by something else.
              Yeh…good call. I bought over 10kg

Many many years ago we considered opening a porridge truck as a sideline serving all different homemade organic oat products including porridge with a selection of toppings.
              We were given a large sack of oats by a local manufacturer so we could experiment with recipes…and decided to keep them in a spare room. As we slowly worked our way through them we suddenly noticed a few weevils appearing….,all over the house It took months to finally eradicate them as they seemed to multiply by the day
              Yeh….We’ll be storing these in sealed , taped, plastic storage boxes in the coolest part of the house!
              Last edited by Nicos; 22-02-2024, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Good morning g all,
                Porridge here as well with raisins and cinnemon.

Its dry but the temp has dropped to 5 degs,

Snoop, have a good trip,

Nicos, weevils....horrible things.

Out for a walk while its dry a d then some grocery shopping.
                I might pop in to the library in the afternoon.
                Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Nicos, you could freeze the oats to kill of any pests or eggs. No need to keep them in the freezer, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                    Nicos, you could freeze the oats to kill of any pests or eggs. No need to keep them in the freezer, though.
                    Yes, the eggs often come in the product, which you are not aware of when it's used fairly quickly.

I do that with any flour or grain that I have bought in bulk when there is a special offer on them. Put the bag inside a plastic bag and freeze for 48 hours, then into storage boxes. Another pest after starchy stuff is silverfish, but I've noticed that since cellar spiders became more common (I have at least one in most rooms), I haven't seen any about.
                    Last edited by mothhawk; 22-02-2024, 02:22 PM.
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                      Nicos, you could freeze the oats to kill of any pests or eggs. No need to keep them in the freezer, though.
                      Really? I’d never even thought of that. What a brill tip!…thanks.
                      Any idea for how long?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post

Really? I’d never even thought of that. What a brill tip!…thanks.
                        Any idea for how long?
                        I thought it was three days, but forty-eight hours according to a Guardian article. Have a look here (be warned, a nasty picture or two in the article): https://www.theguardian.com/food/202...20and%20bottom.

Comment

• Thanks for the link Snoop.I’ll deffo be freezing some!

Comment

• Not caught up for a bit. Busy week. Got outside this afternoon briefly but it was a cold wind by then, saying frost this weekend so that will nip the new growths appearing.
                            Northern England.

Comment

• Dropping temperatures here to CG. Typical seeing as my mirabelle is coming into bud Happens every year.
                              Last edited by Nicos; 23-02-2024, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Morning
                                Grey and cool. Another busy day but also need to go for some shopping later. Better move.
                                Safe journey snoop.
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X