Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's one of my favourites too MH, apparently couldn't compete with places like B&M.

I've been looking for a recipe for red velvet cake and have found a lot, but I was hoping for an all-in-one. Do you think I could make a Victoria sponge batter and then mix in the bicarbonate, vinegar and colouring? Sounds daft to me too so I'd better follow a recipe
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• I’ve just been reading about Wilcos too. I always have a shopping spree in there when I’m over. Sad times.

Flo -I’m not really one for adding bicarbonate etc into anything. The French often add their yolks then whisk the whites for a lighter cake. That might be worth trying?

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten red velvet cake…sounds interesting.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• It's my youngest GGs favourite and she's 21 on Monday - hence the cake I've found one but it's 4 layers, so will halve the ingredients
        Last edited by Florence Fennel; 10-08-2023, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Yeh…you will want it to work out for that won’t you?

I imagine she’ll be having a weekend of celebrations…well, I would

Comment

• Flo your youngest GG can’t be 21 it didn’t seem long back you posted about her liking the fairies (white flies) in amongst the brassicas.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• She's still fond of fairies Bren, but not flies! I'd forgotten about that so it's nice to be reminded, thank you. She keeps houseplants, her room in the shared student house is like the botanical gardens!

Comment

• All this talk of red velvet cake sent me to watch a few videos, but now I'm curious. Most of the (US) ones I watched used cake strips, damp strips of material round the cake tins to stop the outside edge baking faster than the middle.

Does anyone here use them? are they safe to use in gas ovens? They are quite expensive for what they are, and apparently strips of towelling work just as well as manufactured ones, so I'm minded to give them a try next time I make a cake, especially fruit cakes.
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

• Never heard of that/them MH!

Comment

• You're right, they're expensive!
                    Last edited by Florence Fennel; 10-08-2023, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                      Never heard of that/them MH!
                      I’d not heard of them either, found info on making your own and others saying they’re similar to using a water bath.

Comment

• I fastened wet teatowels around the Xmas cake tin I made a few years ago. That didn’t burn. I did keep a close eye on it in the oven ….

Comment

• I've never heard of them either. Have a look here for a home-made version that looks like it would be safe in a gas oven.

https://marie-makes.co.uk/avoiding-a-wet-cake-centre/#:~:text=Use%20baking%20strips%20to%20avoid%20a%20wet%20cake&text=Baking%20strips%20are%20just%20strips,therefore%20avoiding%20a%20wet%20middle.

Edited: full stop at the end of the link is part of the link, not just my mistake typing one in.
                          Last edited by Snoop Puss; 10-08-2023, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• Yeh…I recall now that the site I visited said to make a high tinfoil or grease proof paper collar around the tin first…then wrap the wet teatowel around it.
                            I guess the moisture also helps stop the top from burning?…my mom’s Xmas cakes always had crunchy raisins on the top shed have to pick out before icing….she could have done with getting that tip ( tasted yum though!)

Wish I’d kept the link

Comment

• A few years ago, yet another elderly friend of Mr GF made me a wood "tin" for my fruit cakes, as a thank you. It was supposed to stop the sides drying out before the inside cooked. I'll be absolutely honest, I was not impressed but I never let him know.

Comment

• Evening just now is the best part of the day, perfect for sitting outside.

Nicos the link should be in your search history.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X