Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crumbs, Nicos, that's an amazing photo. I don't actually remember that winter, although my dad took photos and I've seen those. Me and my brother out digging in the snow in what must have been our best coats, probably our only coats in fact. Funny how kids were always dressed like mini adults, whereas nowadays I'm more comfortable dressed as a kid would be today, all stretchy fabric and none of it itchy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
      Crumbs, Nicos, that's an amazing photo. I don't actually remember that winter, although my dad took photos and I've seen those. Me and my brother out digging in the snow in what must have been our best coats, probably our only coats in fact. Funny how kids were always dressed like mini adults, whereas nowadays I'm more comfortable dressed as a kid would be today, all stretchy fabric and none of it itchy.
      Snoop, you have just brought back so many memories of itchy clothes...particularly in Winter. And so true we were dressed like mini adults apart from woollen gloves being fastened on a length of elastic and threaded through our sleeves to stop us losing them.

Comment

• Itchy woollen balaklavas…and when you got hot and sweaty running around they were the pits! Oh joy..the Good ol’ days eh?
        Having said that, I absolutely loved my duffel coats with the wooden toggles! They had massive pockets you put so many little treasures in ‘ for later’
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Ha…I’ve just remembered feeling a wrapped humbug in the corner of one of the pockets and offering it to my friend, only to realise I was also holding a few rabbit droppings in the same hand ( yup - I had pet bunnies)

Comment

• I used to covet the toggles on duffel coats. But the coats themselves were too stiff and cumbersome. Weighed a ton. I borrowed one from a cousin once and was glad to take it off.

Comment

• I remember that winter being sent with the other kids to the Co-op to collect our milk because the milk man could only deliver as far as the high street.
              I used to love my duffle coat, it protected me from barbed wire when I went through an hedge on my sledge. I bought one in my early 20's but it wasn't the same quality.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Oh what memories we have ladies,good grief that ice on the sea,liberty bodice with sticky rubber buttons,of to make that chocolate cake now
                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Evening

I didn’t wear a liberty bodice instead it was knitted vests, Mum even knitting one when I was pregnant ​​​​​​ just the one before I persuaded she that you could buy envelope vests.
                  lottie I’ve got a pack of those rubber buttons they came in a charity shop sewing basket along with a darning mushroom.

Comment

• Oh gosh, I just escaped those liberty bodices, but remember my mom and granny having those rubbery buttons.
                    I really was quite a tomboy so there would have been no way I would have worn those. I even refused to wear tights until 6th form! Yuuuk…even now I hate the idea of the feel of them. Actually, I don’t think I’ve owned a pair for 20 years!

Bren - I still have a darning mushroom. Not used it for years , but I used to knit my own socks for school. Boy did they wear through quickly!

Comment

• Tights, the last time I wore a pair was easy twenty years ago. I took them off in public on the street, declaring them to be an invention of the devil, and have never worn them since.

Rary would have quite enjoyed this conversation...

Comment

• Another tomboy here. My mother tried and tried....and failed dismally to turn me into a "Stepford child". I hated pretty dresses, ankle socks and staying clean and neat but she would not give in. She had to give in with bonnets and hats though as they invariably got lost. As for gloves ....

The joy when eventually I got to choose and buy my own clothes. I've pretty much been a scruff ever since.

Comment

• Oh how do I love this place….home from home !

Poor Rary…..as you say Snoop - let’s hope he reads back….best warn him though to take his medication first !

Comment

• Good evening, just a quick visit, I couldn't let the recent comments pass😊
                            Here was me thinking you were all such a genteel lot, how wrong can a person be 😱
                            Regarding the reference to the freeze in 63, I worked in the local steelworks and remember the loch where the steelworks was built freezing over, and people could walk across it, possibly not something that folks might think unusual, but at the time it was recognised as the warmest Loch in Britain as both the inlet and the outlet was at the same end and all the hot water from the steelworks was pumped into it at the other end and that was hundreds of gallons per day 7 days a week, I worked at the furnaces and we had to break ice covering the drinking water pails which hung about 10feet away from the furnaces (conditions which wouldn't be tolarted now a days) looking at the garden today, there are still some dahlias, fuchsia, geraniums and Roses and early chrysants in flower, I even cut the grass last week, I have never ever done that before, though I admit possibly some of you older folks may have done this in the past, but remember I'm not as old as a lot, sorry, most of you and just for the information I have never worn a liberty bodice, nor, sadly seen a lady? stripping off in the main street however you never know when your luck can turn
                            As for taking my medication Nicos, I was offered some "pick me up" tablets, (small blue tablets) but my OH said I deffinatly don't need them.
                            Well this is just a short quick visit, I have been visiting now and then, but not participating, everything is fine with me I just wanted to cut down my time spent on the computers etc. do a bit more reading for relaxation and no not even watching any of the programs on TV. So keep safe keep warm especially as the temperatures are starting to fall, and keep smiling, Goodnight ​​​​​​
                            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• It’s good to see you popping in Rary.

Comment

• Really nice to see you here, Rary. Glad things are OK.

And no, I didn't quite strip off, only my tights (and my shoes briefly to facilitate removal of the tights).

And yes, Nicos, this is definitely a home from home. Bet you lot know more about me than my brothers do!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X