Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good afternoon all,the mornings do seem to be a bit nippy,but at night I have to take my cardigan off as it is warm,am doing my best to be a domestic goddess today,you can tell where I have been ,slow but sure,it is good to get that feeling of wanting to do such things,sewing is again on the back boiler,need a change,as it can get to feel like the workplace again,plus i have kitchen and freezer duties to perform,that made me laugh Nicos,you can just get the image of the performance hahahahaha,GF thats the best of the older generation,many stories to share,tolled by the people themselves,and not read from a book,i am feeling very happy just lately ,right must get back to it,enjoy what sunshine you have,,Nick,that made me laugh,at what age does it usualy take place,we need to be prepared for our future
    Last edited by lottie dolly; 24-09-2022, 12:34 PM.
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Gf …Apparently up until 1958 you could get two shillings per squirrel tail to try to control their numbers…

https://www.greysquirrelcontrol.co.u...of-control.php

There was also a bounty on sparrows

How times change.

Last edited by Nicos; 24-09-2022, 12:38 PM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• GF, I take it when you made the, quote "sugar and spice and all things nice" with this being an equal opportunities forum you would have that in mind and be applying it to us down trodden males, as Nicos posted "how times change"
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Good afternoon, it has been a nice day here, though a bit cooler, central heating came on through the night, so definitely cooling down the kick in temp is set for 15°c and a bit wary of dropping it further as OH has difficulty keeping warm, which gives me a quandary, should I turn the heating down so that she will cuddle in for warmth, or keep it as it is to save being told to behave myself🤔. We went out to a GC for a plate of soup earlier, which of course was a bit silly as she was making a big pot of soup, some of which we will freeze some will go to oldest grandson (who just loves his grannies soup) and some for me on Sunday and Monday, I pulled mu Las cucumber this morning which will finish up half to son and half to daughter, I don't like cucumber, I only grow it for them. 2hile out I had a look round the GC to see what I wouldn't buy, and they had a pile of bags containing wood for the fire, 5here was possibly 12 to 15 clugs in the bags costing £7.50, so seeing that has inspired me to be going out and getting more logs sawn up, so enjoy the day, might catch you later, but remember to pass on a smile
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Afternoon

I’ve been making Raspberry and apple jam all 4 lids have just popped down, and don’t they sound loud

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post
              GF, I take it when you made the, quote "sugar and spice and all things nice" with this being an equal opportunities forum you would have that in mind and be applying it to us down trodden males, as Nicos posted "how times change"
              I'm all in favour of equal opportunities. You were the one that mentioned "male" hormones and I'm sure they can pair well with sugar and spice....and among other things... hearing aids.

Down trodden males however! Is this a new fashion? Maybe it's time to root out my old stilettos and start stomping.👠👠👠
              Last edited by greenishfing; 24-09-2022, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• Afternoon all.

I'm embarrassed to say I've never been to Dublin. Your park sounds fantastic, Bramble.

Not much doing so far today. After clearing the decks (meaning doing all the washing up that Mr Snoop has been putting off), I'm now making more washing up by making more bread, with different bags of flour this time. This dough looks a lot more promising. The focaccia was not quite a paving stone, but not far off. We managed to eat some of it, split open and toasted on the inside with a can of very juicy beans. So beans on tough toast, but manageable. I foresee the rest as breadcrumbs or croutons.

While I was typing, the mixer stopped. The dough looks really good. A yeast dough, not a sourdough, just to eliminate that potential factor. So, at least now I know the flour is OK. In fact, looking at the dough again, I'm dead pleased. This is the first dough from my new machine that really looks the part. I feared I'd spent a load of money on something that was not all it was hyped up to be... Wouldn't be the first time, just certainly the most expensive time. Phew. Big relief.

Oh, not sure what happened here. Thought I'd clicked 'post reply' but evidently not. Anyway, the brioches are now done. Quite breadlike (only a small amount of butter in the mix), but they meet Mr Snoop's requirements...

Have a great rest of the day, everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post

Down trodden males however! Is this a new fashion? Maybe it's time to root out my old stilettos and start stomping.👠👠👠
                  Good grief gf….steady boys!….poor Rary -just at the thought of that

Comment

.... Maybe it's time to root out my old stilettos and start stomping.👠👠👠
                    No good for digging in GF but great for Airating the lawn
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

I'm all in favour of equal opportunities. You were the one that mentioned "male" hormones and I'm sure they can pair well with sugar and spice....and among other things... hearing aids.

Promises, promises ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                        Rary - We have to wait until mid October before we can have our flu jabs.
                        I like the idea of the plant shelter. I could really do with something like that- mostly for the geraniums when I need to bring them in. Anywhere here frost free has no light .
                        Nicos, where my shelter has been made means the light is restricted quite a bit, most of the light comes through the greenhouse, but I have bought some big mirrors from a charity shop, this gives two benifits, 1/ increased light, and 2/lets me see how well presented I look this means that I can always keep my hair combed and tidy, I suppose it's a bit like how women react when looking in a mirror, a quick check that the makeup is OK, then see if there is any traffic behind them😅😅

I ​​​​​​will be going off line once I post this, might be back on tomorrow if safe to do so

Comment

• Rary, going offline...a very wise decision...Let sleeping dogs lie.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Goodnight all.
                            My afternoon was very productive.
                            Made 6 pots of mixed fruit jam and 8 jars of plum.
                            The mixed fruit took quite a lot of boiling before it reached setting point.
                            I suppose I should have expected it as it was a mixture of a lot of fruit.
                            The plum jam worked well I spiced it with cinnamon and it really made a huge difference to the taste.

Nicos, sorry I cant offer any info on using rose hips.
                            I only came across them by chance and put them in with the blackberries.
                            Goodnight.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Lots of rain overnight but it’s stopped for now and we have patches of blue sky and a nice bit of sunshine. Just the way we gardeners like it eh?

Lots of tidying up to do today- both inside and out.Getting fed up of living in a building site!

Yesterday I attacked a pile of clothes which needed stitching. Replacing buttons, repairing seams and holes in jumpers.
                              Quite pleased with my efforts - plus we now have a few more very wearable clothes!

Whats everyone else up to today?

Comment

• Morning Nicos, morning all.

Lovely blue sky here today. Chilly breeze though, and a chilly night too. The smiles have been enjoying the breeze but set off not that long ago. Shoud be with you soon. Even you, Rary!

Got a busy day ahead. Start with some gardening, then some batch cooking for the freezer and then clean the range in readiness for winter. We'll probably have a celebratory toad in the hole for supper, baked in it. Which will mean tidying the kitchen, as the range is currently a dumping ground...

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X