This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning

A misty start here as well, its just about cleared. Slow cookers been on a couple of hours next is bread baking not to sure after that.

I do like jam Nicos but I've never tried strawberry and elderflower.

Enjoy your day
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning all.
      The rain has just started and looks like it will be with us for a while.
      No plans for the day other than going to church shortly.
      I may package my saved seeds for next season as they seem to have dried out.
      Have a good day all.
      Last edited by bramble; 11-09-2022, 09:33 AM.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post

I do like jam Nicos but I've never tried strawberry and elderflower.

It’s a very simple recipe Bren….make strawberry jam as usual and just as it starts to thicken add a good splosh of IKEA elderflower cordial!
        Yup really.
        It really enhances the strawberry flavour.

Simples.

Goes down really well with the guests.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Afternoon all.

Somebody let the sun out here way too early. Good for the solar power set-up, but too hot to be outdoors, again... Don't suppose the smiles will be home early today, as they'll be stopping somewhere where it's cooler.

Not much on the cards. Lolling about would seem to be my main activity for the day! I'm sure I can manage that.

Have a great rest of the day, everyone.

Comment

• Good night all.

Snoop, the smiles were definitely not here today.
            They would have needed flippers.

Got nothing done today other than tidying and reading.

Hopefully a better day tomorrow.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Morning all.

Up relatively early but still not early enough. Way too hot again today already. Must make an effort to get up earlier tomorrow. The forecast says it'll cloudy then, and what a relief that will be. The smiles shot off as soon as the sun came up to get away. We spoke to some friends the other day. They're Spanish, older than us and have been growing veg since they could walk pretty much. They've never known a year like this, they say. I haven't picked a single green bean despite sowing lots of plants direct and in modules on three occasions. Fingers crossed next year is better.

All good, otherwise. Work and billing on the cards for today, so plenty to keep me out of mischief!

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning

It seems like we've all had an odd growing year i've had some french beans but not the amount I usually have, lettuce/spinach has been bolting but I've had lots of cucumber 29 from 3 plants. so its not all been bad.

Baking today loaves and some cobs.

Enjoy your day.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Slow start for me …cos I can
                  Soft boiled eggs and soldiers for breakfast. And loads of tea. Bliss.

Looks like we are in for at least a couple of days of hot weather too. Loads to do indoors but I may just sneak out and do some weeding I was in the process of folding up and putting away my summer tops but it looks like a few will have a reprieve for the next few days at least!

Has anyone been cutting their lawns recently - ours are coming back really tufty - clearly different types of grass recovering from the drought at different rates. Another week and I guess the field will be back to needing mowing again

Last night was lovely here. Near enough a full moon shining on the garden/field casting tree shadows …and owls hooting away. Amazing Milky Way cutting across the skies. Pity it was the middle of the night as it would have been lovely sitting out with the fire pit and a mug of hot cocoa. Ooo….that reminds me - I need to put Ovaltine onto my UK shopping list! I forgot last time.

Enjoy your baking Bren- I guess the smiles have made a pitstop chez toi once they caught the scent of baking?

Comment

• Good morning, dull and damp here today, when out in the greenhouse earlier there was a cold wind, but that has died down a bit, went up for the dogs and took them out over the fields which are sodden, so by the time I got them back home they were caked in muck, glad that they weren't coming down to my house. Nicos I cut the grass on Saturday and already it loorks as if it could do with another cut, and as for sitting out overnight, ask yourself, why not when it's nice, is there a "must do" today, take advantage of such things when they are there, as you get even older there may not be the same operchancity Snoop on a number of occasions when I have been in Spain, I like to get out into the countryside, where I have noted that the locals are always busy working in their allotments? and most of the folk, to me anyway, were older, evedently they must be even older nowadays Well enjoy your day Folks and remember to pass on a smile
                    Last edited by rary; 12-09-2022, 11:00 AM.
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Good afternoon everyone. I awoke to the wonderful smell of fresh bread. I've been out doing jobs but it's starting to rain now. The bread should now be cool so I think I'll make a potted meat and tomato sandwich next.

Regarding the Spanish smallholders I've met, they all seem to work hard in the heat but I used to regularly see an older, maybe in her sixties, lady driving a tractor in an elegant dress with immaculately styled hair and a big table style sun shade above her. It always made me smile as the old men tended to dress like old Yorkshire smallholders....... trousers held up with a length of string etc.

I agree with you Rary...it's important to take advantage of opportunities to do simple, but enjoyable things as we get older.

Off to make sarnie now.

Comment

• Good afternoon,was dry when i went out,came out from choir and it was belting down,promise it was not us that done it,Nicos that sounds lovely out watching the night sky,a whole new world,gee wiz Snoop,you still getting hot weather,enjoy your afternoon everyone,
                        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Afternoon folks. Just had my Meatless Monday lunch of veg lasagne & veggie burgers. Just got a call from the guy I get firewood from saying he would be arriving soon with a large load of wood.
                          Thats the rest of my day spoken for wheelbarrowing and stacking wood. Early evening I have an abs workout session planned so could be in a bit of pain tomorrow?
                          Onward and upward!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Afternoon!
                            Right…I’m off out into the sunshine…it’s glorious out there at the moment! Almost hitting 30C
                            Nothing like you I imagine Snoop?

I’ve just set up the Vine Show so I guess I deserve to get out there now

Do remember please to enter - there are loads of different classes on the Showcase forum - all stickied.
                            Any member of the Vine is welcome to enter. No prizes, just the fun of sharing.

Snadge….enjoy your woodstacking. It’s very rewarding to see that pile neatly stacked isn’t it?( We had 11cubic metres delivered last week.) share a photo of yours in theVine Show maybe?

Comment

• Toooo hot!…2hrs out there was enough.
                              Managed to prune back several rose bushes and pull up quite a few weeds from the drive.
                              Now drinking a pint of water from a Tulip Guinness glass we bought from a pub a few years ago.
                              How lady-like eh?
                              Its done the trick

Comment

• Good evening all.
                                It's been a miserable day here weathereise
                                Drizzly rain and grey skies here the whole day.
                                I decided to take myself off to town.
                                I bought two pairs of trousers, a jumper and a blouse .
                                I wasnt looking for anything in particular but they will do nicely over the Christmas season.

It has been a strange year for veggie and flower growing.
                                My tomatoes are almost finished, the earliest ever.
                                My sweetpeas are the same, what with the fine spell we had
                                I guess no two years are the same which keeps us on our toes

Have a good evening all,

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...