Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Morning All Still very windy here too, but bright sunshine again. Snoop it's hilarious sometimes when Himself asks Alexa. He has a very broad Yorkshire accent, so her answers are rarely connected to the question! I've got to shift some dust today so best get on. Have a good day and see you later. Stay safe
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good mornig all.
      a lovely bright sunny morning.
      Clear blue sky and not a bit of a breeze.
      Off to my pitch and putt.
      Its hats and scarf time from now on.
      Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Morning all. Really windy night but starting to calm down a bit. We usually have a cold snap at this time of year but apparently there's even a chance of frost for the next few nights.

With the cold coming, feels like it's time to get stocks in in case of bad weather. Got to add Covid in as a factor this year too. Only thing sorted so far is flour, as I placed two online orders with suppliers yesterday. It's only a start, but it's a good one.

Friend coming for very late lunch today (he wants to watch the Grand Prix). Suits me, as I can do plenty of work beforehand. Better get going on it all.

Catch you later. Have a good one.

Comment

• Morning, cracking start to the day, bright and breezy, off to Perth to see the grandsons, might just be locked down again soon so better be careful but enjoy it whilst we can. See ya later

Comment

• Good Morning All Cold but dry and very windy again. Pan's on. Have a good day
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good morning all.
              Another beautiful sunny morning here.
              We are going to make the most of it and are off out for the day.
              Have a happy Sunday all.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos
                OH baked a loaf directly on its cast iron base last night. Not done it before and it turned out really well...just threw some flour on the oven bottom first.
                Do you mean without a baking sheet or tin? I've never done that, but my tins or cloche do go directly on the oven floor as the oven doesn't have a rack and isn't high enough for me to add one at the bottom. Pizza dough comes out brilliantly.

I've never put flour on the bottom first, so that's new to me. Does it not smell a bit burnt? I'm intrigued. If I'm doing bread in a tin, I add a container of boiling water to provide steam. Take it out after the first ten minutes or so (when I have to open the oven anyway to turn the bread round, otherwise it'll burn on one side). If the loaf isn't in a tin, I use the Netherton Foundry cloche I bought and am so glad I did. That keeps the steam in till I remove the top. Works a treat. Expensive for what it is but a brilliant present for a baker...

Comment

• Cold, grey and miserable again here. Over the last few days ( since the sun disappeared) I have noticed that everybody seems quite fed up. Normally as the weather changes I start thinking about making pudding and cake and goodies for the festive season. Usually by the end of December we are on our third fruit cake ( I do give some big chunks away). This year I just don't seem to have any motivation. As for pudding there will be no point making the usual big one if we don't have guests. Even if we are allowed I don't know if I would be comfortable having them.
                  I made some more Indian chutney this morning with my own chilli (first ripe one). I did try the chilli raw and it nearly blew the top of my head off.
                  I think I 'll get wrapped up and brave the cold wind and see if I can motivate myself.

Comment

• ^Gf, these are hard times, especially for you as you are caring for a lot of people, so you've got added stress of the care plus coping with their concerns and fears. It's very wearing. Really feel for you. Big hug.

Comment

• Snoop, yep - straight onto the oven bottom...

https://www.esse.com/recipes/my-esse-loaf/

He threw some flour on the base though first.
                      and nope it didn't burn. We had chunks of it smothered in butter at about 10 pm... ( yup I'm supposed to be dieting )

gf....I know exactly what you mean.
                      Normally I'm busy crafting for several Xmas Fairs I have stalls at...no point.
                      I normally preserve loads of jars of veggies I share with my family in the uk...no point.
                      I'm desperately trying to shed my 'Covid belly'...no point in doing much baking ( apart from for OH)
                      I'm utterly fed up with major diy stuff inside my home...it's been going on for one year and 3 weeks and I can't find so much stuff I 'need' cos it's hidden behind so many boxes of stuff and building materials.
                      The garden is an utter mess and it's cold, wet and windy...no point.
                      Lots of other rubbish going on in the UK with my family including my mom dying of bone cancer..and apart from phoning peeps there's not much more I can do.
                      See...we all have rubbish going on in our lives but unless others share the fact it's easy to think we are alone feeling fed up.

When you find the 'Motivation Shop' gf...can you please send me directions cos I think I need at least a double helping!

'hugs' xx
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• I’ve never baked without using either tins or my Dutch oven mines an electric fan oven so not sure about trying it.

I can’t seem to get on with dried yeast I don’t get the same results as I do using fresh yeast had anyone else found this?
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Thanks for the kind words Snoop and Nicos. It is actually comforting to know it's not just me who is feeling like this. I know lots of people have far more serious problems than I do and I just wonder how on earth they are coping.
                          I am treating us to some "proper" deep fried homemade chips tonight made with our own potatoes to try and keep our spirits up.

Comment

• Chips???- oh yum!....stick some in the post for me will ya?
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Nicos, so sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time.
                              It must be so hard not being able to visit your mam.
                              We are all going through some very tough and depressing times but I am sure it is worse when you are away from your family.
                              My thoughts and a prayer, ( if you dont mind) for you and your mam.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                                Chips???- oh yum!....stick some in the post for me will ya?
                                Hate to say it but I don't think they will travel well. Hubby did say they were the best chips ever though (he really is my rock). I'm feeling quite upbeat at the moment..... might be something to do with the wine........ I honestly did think that everyone else was handling the virus and it's consequences better than me......I am really happy to realise it's not just me that puts on a happy face for the world and struggles at home.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X