This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning All.
    We had an impressive storm last night too, no hail thankfully but big fat raindrops splotting down like pigeons eggs which gained tempo into a full blown drench.
    Just normal rain at the moment, bit boring by comparison but far more gentle for the garden.
    Nice to see you here Greenishfing CG oh no, one horse bite is one too many, can't imagine what three must be like

Happy Saturdays
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Morning all
      Just been opening and feeding befire the rain of the day arrives , forecast of 70-90% and thunderstorms with it.
      How nice
      Looks like a non gardening day so il have to force myself into some housework then.
      At least they arnt appearing infected MrB.
      Have a good day.
      Northern England.

Comment

• Good morning all. Very grey and overcast here. I have a feeling not a lot of gardenning will be done today.

Comment

• Good Morning All Hot and sultry. Have a good day
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Morning, we have proper humid and not a breath of wind, supposed to change later though. Horse flies, there's one the Aberdonians call a "clegg", luckily not got me, but I've seen some of the wounds they can inflict, not nice.

Comment

• Afternoon,any bites are a pain,i used to get em down the plot later in the day when humid,darned things,grey sky,still on the warm side,but fresher,we keep getting the wet stuff on and off,so all good,i saw the size of them hail bolders on the news,never mind about running around with a glass to catch em,think about the damage to your body,they lethal weapons,it's them that damaged several greenhouse roofs down the plots a few years ago,glass and plastic
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                Watching the big fat raindrops and 3 baby rats running around and under the shed so there must be a nest I've paid to get rid 3 times over the last 2 years to get rid of them, but they come back and it puts me off working in the garden. Sickening Sorry to moan but I don't know what to do about them.
                You could always try shoving a hose under the hut and giving it a good flush this might shift them or buy some bait on the Internet and put that under the hut on something that can be pulled out so that you can check if its gone or not once you think they are gone again flush under the hut remember there could be 3 or 4 different sections there then have wire mesh recommended to stop rats fitted around the base of the hut like you I hate those vermin being around
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Good afternoon, it has been a day of heavy showers which I have been caught in three times the second time I stepped in the house and OH asked me to take my shirt off, so in high anticipation it came of in a flash and she then held me an old shirt and told me to put that on instead just having a cup of coffee then I am going out as OH is settling down to watch Downton Abbey and rain is far more preferable than that and anyway there are patches of blue sky now, Cg I hope you leg is OK clegg bites can be quite nasty, they are one of the reasons I rarely wear shorts or short sleeved shirts between them and midges which seem to have came out in their thousands now with the rain however we have them so that's it. Right heading out now enjoy the day​​​​​​​​​
                  ​​​​​
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Afternoon!
                    Perfect kite flying weather

Out of interest -when was the last time any of you flew a kite???
                    me?..well about 2years ago.
                    These modern ones are huuuge!
                    Remember making them as a kid with a couple of sticks pinched from the greenhouse and using tissue paper or a plastic bag and string ???
                    Ha!...good fun

I've just spent the afternoon baking oat and ginger biscuits, a couple of quiches ( one turkey and tarragon and the other spicy pilchard and peas) and a large creme caramel.
                    A 4 egg Yorkshire pud mix to have with roasted turkey too.
                    10 hard boiled eggs later I still have 6 dozen eggs to do something with!!
                    Last edited by Nicos; 27-06-2020, 01:54 PM.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                      Watching the big fat raindrops and 3 baby rats running around and under the shed so there must be a nest I've paid to get rid 3 times over the last 2 years to get rid of them, but they come back and it puts me off working in the garden. Sickening Sorry to moan but I don't know what to do about them.
                      The last time we had a rat I "borrowed" my husbands air rifle which had never fired a pellet in anger before. I stuck it out of an upstairs window and waited. Eventually ratty appeared and I got it through the head. Never seen one since I'm glad to say.

Comment

• Good afternoon.
                        AFAIK horse flies and cleggs look alike but horse flies buzz and cleggs are silent.

Mixed day today so far, sunshine and showers, got quite a bit done on the lotty though
                        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• They were cleg flies which are horse flies. We get them alot . We know when thyre starting as the horses locally get their cleg coats on.
                          Been bitten through clothing before too.

Hot sun and torrential rain kinda day. Dog walk soon hopefully in the dry period.
                          Northern England.

Comment

• Good evening all
                            Wicked day with torrential downpours.
                            Against my better judgment I went to 0lsy pitch and putt.
                            The competition was called off half way through
                            Wont need to water the garden for the forseeable future.
                            Have a good evening all.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Horrible things clegg/horseflies. They make me very, very ill. I call it an allergy, the doctor says it’s an intolerance. I have the same reaction to beetroot, opioids, mosquitoes and sand flies.

Anyway. Today has been a mixture of sunshine and showers and I’ve managed to get outside whilst it’s been cooler and catch up with some work. My clothesline is now up and ready to go. I had 2 deliveries of live plug plants this morning. Only 2 of them decapitated. They had side shoots that I hope will take over the missing growing points. They were also very dry and drooping so are now in recovery.

I’ve also planted some seeds that I planted 2 months ago that turned up their toes and died when i brought them into the house to shield them from threatened frosts. A bit late, but nothing ventured etc.

I’m putting off doing some heavy duty work. I need to do it whilst it’s cooler but I keep putting it off. I know I’ll feel a sense of achievement when it’s done instead of the sense of guilt that I haven’t done it yet. The first is the patch where I want for vegetables. It’s the same size as the lawn I laid 2 months ago. It’s no more arduous but I keep looking at it and finding something else to do. The other is the bit between the lawn and the vegetable patch. There’s a difference in levels and would be best served with a mini haha. I have the materials but can’t get round to doing it. To be honest, it really needs 2 people but that’s not possible at the moment.

laters
                              "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                              "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                              Oxfordshire

Comment

• Same here bramble torrential downpour then sun out for a time, I got some framework in place and started getting things ready to mix some concrete when the heavens opened fortunately I hadn't added the cement so have left it till tomorrow now off to see if there are any films worth watching enjoy your evening

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X