Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been playing ball with youngest dog (15mth)

Mid game cool down was our tiny not cleaned out yet pond Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200409-154628_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	621.4 KB
ID:	2386922
    Last edited by Containergardener; 09-04-2020, 02:48 PM.
    Northern England.

Comment

• I braved Aldi today as one of my elderly relatives texted me their shopping list this morning and my fridge was looking empty. Long queue around the car park, but when I got in everything we both wanted was there apart from bread flour and lemons. Not out of bread flour completely yet and I did get lemon juice instead of lemons. Also they had plenty of wine! Everyone was behaving well and chatting in the queue.
      One member of a lot of families seems to be really happy at the moment........dogs. I never knew there were so many living around me. Also nice to see families walking together, including teenagers! A couple at the allotment this week, helping dad, who seems a lot less stressed now he's not constantly on call as their taxi.
      Well I reckon the sun is over the yard arm somewhere in the world so it's G & T time.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
        Well I reckon the sun is over the yard arm somewhere in the world so it's G & T time.
        Time to set sail!

"The phrase ‘over the yardarm’ refers to the practise of officers on sailing ships of waiting until the sun appeared to above a particular yardarm before having their lunch or first alcoholic drink of the day. In summer in the north Atlantic this would be at about 11am. This became the time when the sailors received their first ration of rum, and the officers stuck to this time even when ashore. The expression spread to landlubbers and is still quite widely used, especially in North America. On land the sun appears over the proverbial yardarm at around 5pm"

https://www.omniglot.com/bloggle/?p=8094
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

• Prevening All Well that's me at home till Tuesday. Delivery for us and neighbours was ok, but didn't get flour or yeast. I wouldn't mind but it wasn't unavailable so I've paid for it - bet it's in someone else's bags and I got their ginger and kale!
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Line me one up ..dogs to walk first . A wine and soda ta .

Shopping today was ugh. Asda queue of 40 right round carpark , morrisons and aldi 20-30 folk. Was only going for prescription and some bits for mum and us.
            Gave up and went to gretna small shop.
            Ok there . Prescription can wait I've enough tablets as ordered early. Think they were shopping for Easter weekend (we forgot about easter) .

Dog walk time.
            Northern England.

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
              ...but didn't get flour or yeast.
              Where has all the flour gone? It's crazy, most folk have no idea what to do with it I'm sure! Every website I've visited has sold out of flour...

Comment

• Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                Where has all the flour gone? It's crazy, most folk have no idea what to do with it I'm sure! Every website I've visited has sold out of flour...
                Perhaps its a subsitute for toilet roll
                Cheers

Danny

Comment

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52212760

Comment

• Because apparently everyone is making their own bread and pasta ..no flour
                    Northern England.

Comment

• I always keep at least one full bag of plain, self raising and bread flour in the cupboard because I always make our own pastry, bread, yorkshire pud, cakes, etc. It annoys me to think idiots with no idea are just stockpiling flour for no valid reason. But if the idiots want help to use it I am happy to help with recipes. I hope that more people actually cook real food for their families.

Comment

• ^^^I dont do much making these days with flour but I do like to keep some in .
                        I'd like to perfect pizza like in an italian restaurant but havnt managed yet. Maybe should try again. Anyone do those?
                        Northern England.

Comment

• Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                          I'd like to perfect pizza like in an italian restaurant but havnt managed yet. Maybe should try again. Anyone do those?
                          I always reckon that's more to do with having a very hot (wood-fired!) oven to bake the pizza in than the dough recipe. Be pleased to be put right though.
                          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 09-04-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Just been outside for a thank you clap. I know it's picked up by the media but there seems to be a big number of NHS staff losing their lives to coronavirus.

Comment

• Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                              Time to set sail!

"The phrase ‘over the yardarm’ refers to the practise of officers on sailing ships of waiting until the sun appeared to above a particular yardarm before having their lunch or first alcoholic drink of the day. In summer in the north Atlantic this would be at about 11am. This became the time when the sailors received their first ration of rum, and the officers stuck to this time even when ashore.

https://www.omniglot.com/bloggle/?p=8094
                              My dad was in the Royal Navy in WW2, and he told me about the daily tot of rum for each sailor. You could take pay in lieu of rum if you chose. I asked my dad if he took the pay, as he wasn't a big drinker, and he also sent most of his pay back home to his widowed mother and younger siblings. What! he said! No way, I took my tot of rum along with the other sailors!

I expect it helped to warm them up a bit, as he was on a minesweeper in the north sea.

Anyway, talk of yard arms and rum is making me thirsty. Rum and coke please! Haven't had one of those since I was in my twenties, so it'll be a trip down memory lane.
                              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

• ^^^^nice memories babru
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X