No announcement yet.

Special Green Tomato Chutney

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just pour boiling water over it after washing it in hot, soapy water. It is not after all in contact with the chutney but providing the seal for the jar. This has worked ok so far.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Thanks Earthbabe. Will go with that then

Comment

I finally got round to making the special chutney last night and have some on my sandwiches today - too impatient to wait! As everyone has said before, it is really lovely. I've never made chutney before so am very pleased with myself.

My only question is how do you get rid of the smell of vinegar? It seems to have permeated the whole house! My coat was in the kitchen while I was doing the cooking and that's soaked it up, too. It's obviously transferred on to me as I can smell slight vinegaryness sitting here at my desk! Hmm, very pleasant. The coat needs to go to the cleaner's anyway, but is there anything I can use to clear the smell out of the house?

Comment

It's not so strong if you use the clear distilled stuff. I've not had a problem so I'm not sure how you clear it out.
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

Comment

I used red wine vinegar. Don't know where that falls on the smell scale but maybe I can console myself that it could have been worse with malt vinegar!

Comment

I also used wine vinegar and didn't have a problem with the odour hanging - I could really only smell it whilst it was cooking.
              I'm sure I heard somewhere that if a room smells of cigarette smoke (bear with me) you neutralise it by burning candles. Weird, I know, but you could always try it and let us know if it works.

Comment

Ironically, I've just read in my 'Trade Secrets' book, the way to get rid of cigarette smells is to place a bowl of vinegar in the corner of the room. Maybe it works the other way round too?!
                Couldn't specifically find a cure for vinegar smells though. For General smells it suggested dabbing perfume on to a cool light bulb before switching it on - the heat then releases the smell.

Comment

Actually Waffler, I can't find an idea to get rid of the smell of vinegar - plenty of uses for using vinegar to get rid of other smells, skunk included! will keep trying and will let you know! DDL
                  Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Just had to tell you EB - am watching River Cottage on Sky - and HFW has just put a jar of his chutney in his mutton tagine (?) it looks nearly as good as yours. Bet it doesnt taste as good though! DDL
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Thanks DDL that's picked me up after a bad afternoon/evening. Got quite cold coming home too so I'm not at my happiest.
                      Bright Blessings
                      Earthbabe

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHillGardener View Post
                        I finally got round to making the special chutney last night and have some on my sandwiches today - too impatient to wait! As everyone has said before, it is really lovely. I've never made chutney before so am very pleased with myself.

My only question is how do you get rid of the smell of vinegar? It seems to have permeated the whole house! My coat was in the kitchen while I was doing the cooking and that's soaked it up, too. It's obviously transferred on to me as I can smell slight vinegaryness sitting here at my desk! Hmm, very pleasant. The coat needs to go to the cleaner's anyway, but is there anything I can use to clear the smell out of the house?
                        If you have an oil burner, lemongrass oil is excellent for getting rid of cooking smells that linger. Also a natural fly repellent.
                        Kirsty
                        Kirsty b xx

Comment

Eb - had to let you know, it wasn't until I'd made lots of jars of your chutney and then my OH said, I don't like chutney! was NOT impressed! Guess who had some last night and said "that was really nice"! Another convert to your recipe methinks! DDL
                          Bernie aka DDL

Comment

That's great. It went down well at work last Xmas too so guess what I'm leaving them while I'm kicking back in Jersey with the folks. And a cake too of course although I don't recommend the two together. I'm glad we have another convert DDL, keep up the good work.
                            Bright Blessings
                            Earthbabe

Comment

I thought I'd resurrect this thread, as it is getting to the time when folks will be looking for the recipe. It looks delish and I will be doing it myself this weekend - some for us and some as Xmas pressies (I have LOADS of green tomatoes).

Comment

I was just looking for this recipe. Well ressurected Winged one
                                "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X