No announcement yet.

Special Green Tomato Chutney

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It never occurred to me that it was jellies! Sometimes I think life passes me by .........................
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

And there's little 'old me - taught how to type at school, and has used it thoroughout my working life! (A relatively long time, in case you are wondering!) A BIG oops! Just blame it on the early morning! (I hope!) dexterdog - picked another load of green toms and am going to have another chutney session tomorrow! Can't wait! dexterdog PS A BIG thank you to Earthbabe for the recipe!
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I have found another green tom chutney recommended by my mum which I will post as soon as I can.
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Got my toms and onions "stewing" as we speak! from your original recipe. dexterdog
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi Earthbabe - another 10 jars of your special chutney made! dexterdog
            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

DD - is that 1lb jars - all from the quantities stated in the recipe? I have just picked 3lb of green toms, but don't have enough jars at that rate. May be you've used larger quantities??

Comment

That's right Waffler - I picked 9lb of toms and adjusted the recipe accordingly. OH wanted to know what we were going to do with it all! Men! dexterdog
                Bernie aka DDL

Comment

OK then - for those of you who want a laugh at my expense! Guess who ordered the jars, but not the lids?!!! dexterdog
                  Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Oh DD you dafty! Mind you I thought when you ordered jars they came with the tops!

Comment

Thanks for not really taking the p**s Squirrel! mind you when I ordered them it was some very early hour of the morning - I wasnt focusing as well as I should! Improvised with greaseproof paper, tin foil and wax discs until the proper lids arrive! dexterdog
                      Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Hi Dexterdog, will be joining you again in green tom chutney land as have picked what remains due to the dreaded blight finally arriving.
                        Bright Blessings
                        Earthbabe

Comment

I made a load up yesterday (or was it the day before?) and it tastes good! Seven bottles from your receipe!

Comment

Great, I like to taste as I make but it definitely improves with keeping.
                            Bright Blessings
                            Earthbabe

Comment

Got mine from last week Earthbabe then today's batch. Trying to be patient though! dexterdog
                              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Spanish Tomato Chutney

This is one my mum recommends, haven't made it myself but probably will do now I have picked all the toms. Sorry it's in old money

3lb green toms (skinned), 1 red pepper, 1lb onions, 2tbsps salt, 1 1/2 pints vinegar, 1tsp mixed spice, 1 tsp pepercorns, 1 tsp mustard seed, few chillis, 1 tsp cloves, 12 oz sugar.

1 Slice toms and red pepper and chop onion finely.
                                2 Sprinkle with salt and leave for several hours.
                                3 Drain well.
                                4 Put into a preserving pan with vinegar and spices tied in muslin.
                                5 simmer steadily for 10 mins.
                                6 Add the sugar and coninue simmering for 15-20 mins.
                                7 Pour into jars and seal down.

This is less soft than an ordinary chutney.

I suppose you could leave the spices loose in the pan if you wanted but they will be a bit crunchy.
                                Bright Blessings
                                Earthbabe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X