Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old money is good Earthbabe! Dexterdog
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Can someone please tell me what sort of vinegar I need to use; I still haven't actually made the chutney, but the toms have been in salt since yesterday, so guess what I'm doing this afternoon...

Comment

Use cider or white/red wine vinegar Waffler - the colour is better and also the taste slightly less vinegary than the usual malt.

Comment

Thanks Squirrel - I'm on the case!

Comment

This year I'm using distilled malt vinegar for similar reasons. I can't always get hold of decent quantities of white wine or cider vinegar.

It's definitely lighter and you don't get all the vinegar fumes in the kitchen.
            Bright Blessings
            Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I used white malt vinegar - didn't think of white wine vinegar.

Looks lovely though and we had a bit of a taste tonight. Really yummy and nice and not too hot. EB did you put the seeds from the chilli's in?
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Yup! but mine are generally wussy ones.
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

Comment

"Wussy" ???
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Yes generally very mild. I don't have an asbestos mouth or stomach and prefer flavour to heat.
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

Comment

Been looking for a green tom chutney recipe for ages. Can't wait to try this one on next day off work.
                      Thanks Earthbabe
                      Kirsty b xx

Comment

How long does it keep after the jar's been opened? I was going to make some up in some big kilner jars I've got but they must hold at least a pint so was wondering if I'd get through all that before it went off.

I was thinking of scrounging jam jars from people at work if it would be better to use smaller containers. I've responsibly put all mine in the recycling box - I really ought to think ahead a bit more

Comment

Thanks Earthbabe! Just had my first taste tonight! LOVELY! Shall be passing out some of my other jars to family and friends! Many thanks! another winner! DDL
                          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

We had our first taste last night - oooh lovely! Has to be the best chutney I have ever made. Thanks Earthbabe.
                            ~
                            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Made this on the weekend....never stopped to think about how much I'd be making...(I had double the amount of toms) even when I had to put the mix into two pans for cooking. Wasn't till I was running out of jars that I realised how much chutney I had. 5.5 litres later & I think I'm done for the season!!!

Sounds ok by its self but when you add it to the apple chutney, plum chutney and two lots of cucumber relish I can now understand the look on my husbands face!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
                                I tend to use spring lid kilner jars for chutneys and they are fine. Also for minceing the onions and toms a food processor with a mincing disk is an absolute boon. Made this last year for the first time. It has kept very well even after opening and tastes fantastic with pretty much anything. Other green tomato chutnies I have tried pale into insignificance beside this one.

Happy eating.
                                Earthbabe

When you sterilise your kilner jars, do you do the rubber seal too? Is it ok to go in the oven to dry with the jars?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X