No announcement yet.

Special Green Tomato Chutney

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a couple of questions to all of you who have already made this.

Firstly, when I minced my tomatoes and onions there was an awful lot more liquid than the picture posted above. The toms were properly unripe so I was quite surprised. Does this matter, seeing as I'll be straining before using?

Secondly, what I am supposed to do with the apples, do I mince them also or simply chop as they'll disintegrate anyway when cooked?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

This thread reminded me that I haven't seen Earthbabe on here for a while, could always rely on her for some great recipes and other gardening tips. Anyone know how she is?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Hi Alison - yep that's right. Just squeeze out all the excess water and continue with the recipe - when I made my batch this year there was loads of excess water - just throw it away! Good chutney making.
        Best wishes
        Bernie aka Dexterdog
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Well fingers crossed it'll turn out OK, made it a couple of weeks ago now so will be trying in a couple more weeks time. Theoretically some of it is going to get used in Christmas hampers for aunties etc but if it's really nice they might just have to make do with extra jam.............

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hi earthbabe, thanks for chutney recipe, will be making some this year for sure!I'm very near southampton docks too!Giving my friends recipe too.will be great aroma in our area.Looking forward to your next recipe.

Comment

I have a batch on as we speak / type. Got a Farmers Market on Saturday (too soon) and another in a fortnight, so thought I'd get some more made tonight.
              Rat

British by birth
              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wanted to say thanks for this recipe. Had a load of green toms and tried this as recoomeneded by so many.

It gets my vote too!! Its fantastic and tastes really fruity with a small kick afterwards. This is my first time making anything like this and I was very impressed. I got the advice to wait until its sticky on the bottom of the pan. For me this took nearly 2 hours so slightly longer than the original. Also I hadn't realised how bad it would smell because of the vinegar (i used cider vinegar). I lasted 20 minutes in the kitchen before setting up the camping stove in the garage!! Still worked great and was so good I made a second batch. Forget recycling glass I'm now saving all my jars for next year...

Finally advice I'd have liked to know if that this volume used 6 small jars. I'd say about 5 standard jam jars. It really reduces down in volume, nearly half I'd say so don't think you can double-up unless you have a really big pan/vat!
                http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for bumping this thread - I gave away my printed copy of the recipe to the Outlaws last week
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi I am going to have a go at this tomorrow - but not sure how much salt to use? - ok ignore, I found it whilst reading through again.

Thanks

janeyo
                    Last edited by janeyo; 21-10-2008, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• Going to give this a go tomorrow and the day after I think.
                      Thanks Earthbabe..

Comment

• I got a Third Prize in the Chutneys and Pickles section of my local show with this recipe last year, and it had only matured for a week!
                        Last edited by SarzWix; 26-07-2009, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• Made loads of this last year and the recipe is going to get an airing again this year - I sold loads and it was very very popular with people coming back for more at each Farmers Market - cannot reccomend it highly enough !
                          Last edited by sewer rat; 27-07-2009, 08:35 PM.
                          Rat

British by birth
                          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• This is a fave recipe in the DDL household. I don't worry now if my toms don't ripen - in fact, I pick a few before they do, just so I can make some chutney!
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

• Bumped thanks to Mrs D on Faceache, as I've got a trug of green toms from the garden after I spotted blight on 2 plants - so I've stripped them of all useable toms and I'm going to make this later this week.

Can I just ask - before I start - is the first or second recipe the best one?
                              Last edited by zazen999; 11-08-2009, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Deffo the first recipe! Tis a corker!!
                                Blessings
                                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X