No announcement yet.

Special Green Tomato Chutney

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's great Earthbabe - thanks a lot - I'll give it a whirl on Saturday.

Comment

Hi EB - going to have a taste of mine tonight - I don't have to let it stand for a couple of weeks or anything do I? dexterdog
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I usually leave my chutnies for a month unless the recipe says it can be eaten straight away. But rules are to be broken, they are more guidelines really, not even that merely friendly suggestions.

Let me know how it tastes though if you do.
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Yep, found the jards thanks

Just a question, sorry if it's a dim one....but what's the thing with using under ripe red tomatoes? I mean, in the pan bringing to the boil they're going to end up the same aren't they?

Comment

Well all's well that ends well..... I remembered that we've got a fantastic hardware (its a tardis really) shop near us, and surely enough, they've do the jars, not just one type, but all shapes and sizes!!

So i've bought a few and guess what i'm going to be doing this weekend!

Comment

HI EB! actually, I didn't open my chutney last night, so will take your advice and leave it for a month. Actually seem to remember HFW on his programme the first time he made a chutney for a show, he didn't let it mature as he should have done.....am learning as I go along! Have just purchased a cordon bleu Preserving cook book from ebay - cant wait to have a good read! dexterdog
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Thanks Earthbabe - just picked a mound of green toms and was going to ask for a chutney recipe.

How green do the toms have to be? Some of mine are quite hard and nowhere near ripening, which is why I have picked them.
                ~
                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hi Jennie - I made this last Saturday - it's a very easy recipe to follow. Going to leave mine to mature for a month as EB has suggested - can't wait! dexterdog
                  Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Didn't know this would be of so much interest.

Suspect Sprout - it they are too ripe they won't mince well. I shove mine in a food processor with a coarse grater attachment and if they are green they remain in shreds.

Jennie - I don't think it matters, the mincing and "brining" will help soften them up. In fact due to work etc. mine have now been sat for 2 days quite happily. I think they did last year too.

Dexterdog - what book have you got? Any interesting recipes to share?
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Hi EB - its called "Preserving" by Cordon Bleu from the 1970s. It has a wide range of recipes including jams etc, hellies, pickles, chutneys,drying, vinegars, and freezing. Looks interesting. Hopefully will be able to have a look today. If there is any particular recipe anyone wants, just let me know and I'll have a look. DD
                      Bernie aka DDL

Comment

What are "hellies"????
                        ~
                        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Jellies Jennie!
                          [

Comment

Ooops! dexterdog
                            PS It was 7am!
                            Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 22-09-2006, 04:34 PM.
                            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Just made this chutney and it looks super! Left the chillie seeds in and it has a lovely after burn! Roll on next month when I can try it properly!

Comment

I am loving the 'hellies' - OH asked what was the matter - obviously doesn't hear me laughing much!
                                I too visited a hardware shop (only to buy a tap attachment thingymajig) and happened upon their jars... so bought some!
                                Tomorrow's plan is for GTC and rose hip and apple jelly. Well it's good to have a plan...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X