No announcement yet.

Pickled Courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't need to worry about botulism with adding chilli's to a pickling liquid as the vinegar and sugar prevent the growth of the bacteria. Its a problem with oil as that doesn't stop the bacteria.

Comment

Hey Andi&Di, I've just made your Courgette Pickle recipe today (five jars) and I have only one word to say to you:::::::

Thanks!!!!!!!
      My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm going to give this a go too!

I tried making bread and butter pickles with cukes but they seem to take on too much vinegar (as opposed to the gherkin varieties) but I used normal pickling vinegar and white vinegar so maybe cider vinegar would pack slightly less punch!
        http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

I made this a few weeks ago and my wife loves it.

So much so that another batch was made this weekend and more will be made once we collect a few more jars.

Experimented with a thicker cut and some chilli flakes in some jars this time.

Comment

Made something similar from a recipe from the Crown and Castle Hotel (owned by scary woman Ruth Watson, ex-'Hotel Inspector' on Channel 4) and couldn't work out how to get the excess moisture out after salting the courgettes - now I know to use my salad spinner - genius! Thanks for the tip. I'll make some more with my never-ending supply of courgettes; great with the mix of yellow 'One Ball' and ordinary green, and a couple of red chillies.

Comment

Best recipe ever. Thought I had lost it!

Comment

Genius idea - I'm in production as of tonight!
                Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Hi andi&di.
                  When you say dry mustard, would colm^ns mustard powder be the right stuff to use.
                  Thanks in advance.
                  "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

I have a feeling I'll be making this tonight (I haven't been to pick any courgettes for 5 days (12 plants ...!)

edit: made it with 1400g courgettes and 100g onions. Also popped a few tiny garlics in.
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 22-07-2010, 04:01 PM.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I want to make this today but I've only got 350ml of cider vinegar, I know could reduce the recipe but would it work if I added 150ml of white wine vinegar. ?
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Should be fine Bren. Vinegar is vinegar. I've been using Tesco 55p white distilled vinegar (with my own spices) and sometimes mix that with 13p Tesco Basics malt vinegar
                        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 06-08-2010, 07:04 PM.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks TS I've been looking forward to making this pickle so didn't want to spoil it.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I made this on Wednesday. The only thing I did different was to use Sarsons white pickling vinegar. I added the sugar to it and very gently heated it till the sugar dissolved. I have 2 1/2 jars in the fridge and I gave one to my neighbour.

I tried them today in a cheese sandwich and they were yummy. I wish I had more vinegar to make another few jars (would need more jars as well). Thanks for this recipe
                            Susiewoosie

A novice but keen to learn

My Blog - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...s/susiewoosie/

My photo Albums - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ie-albums.html

Comment

I made this with a very similar recipe from good food mag yesterday tastes good before its matured

Comment

i've made this twice now and it is truly scrumptious!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X