No announcement yet.

Pickled Courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am so grateful to the Search Button and Di! Cider vinegar is on my shopping list for next week
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Excited as I made is one too today! Thanks for the recipe.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

• Made some this weekend, its all gone already, was Pewsey carnival though to be fair, so lots of beer and food gets consumed. Thanks for sharing this recipe, already picked some more courgettes to top the jar back up.

Comment

• Hi All,

Made some of this at the weekend - delicious! It is meant to be going in hampers as gifts, but somehow I don't think any of these ones will be making it that far, I can't stop eating it!

Will bring a jar in for the rest of the GYO team to sample... if I can bear to part with one

Laura
          Last edited by Laura Hillier; 02-10-2013, 10:06 AM.
          Keep up to date with GYO's breaking news on twitter and facebook!

Twitter: @GYOmag
          Facebook: facebook.com/growyourownmag

Comment

• Bumping this one as it is a total favourite!
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

• Originally posted by di View Post
              Possibly my favourite courgette recipe!!

Pickling mix:~500ml cider vinegar
              120g sugar
              1&1/2 tsp dry mustard
              1&1/2 tsp crushed yellow & brown mustard seed
              1 tsp ground turmeric

500g courgettes
              2tbsp salt
              1 sm onion

1.slice courgettes &onoin very thinly into discs(easier with a mandoline!)Place in bowl~add salt & mix well.cover with very cold water & stir to dissolve salt.
              2.after 1hr drain & dry thoroughly~either in salad spinner or between towels.
              3.Combine pickling mix in saucepan & simmer for 3 mins.set aside until just warm.
              4.Mix courgettes & onion with the cooled liquid.~transfer to sterilised jars.cover & refrigerate for at least a day before eating.
              Will keep indefinately in fridge.

Absolutely yummy with cheese & crusty bread!
              can also add dried chilli flakes to the mix for an added kick! ENJOY!
              I've made some of this this afternoon, I'm not a great pickle eater but after all the positive posts it would be rude not to try it. I'll let you know tomorrow my expert opinion lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
              Last edited by Bex; 27-07-2014, 04:00 PM.
              Bex

Comment

• I left this in fridge for a couple of weeks and now I've tried it, I'm addicted. It's gorgeous

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
                Bex

Comment

• I made this a couple of days ago and sampled some tonight with a cheese salad.

I don't think I'll be worrying about excess courgettes now. They'll all be going to make more of it. It was amazing!

Comment

• Oh My goodness!

This pickle is delicious!
                    Thank you for the recipe, for the grapes who reviewed it and made me want to try it and to the grapes who discovered it also works well for cucumbers!
                    http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• Well, after reading the rave reviews, I made some of this. Let's just say it's a good thing I only made one batch because it'll be enough to last until my courgette glut next year. I don't hate it but I certainly don't love it. Actually, I found the courgettes and onion tastier after being soaked in cold salt water than after being pickled... but then I do like to be contrary

Comment

• I've just made four jars of almost-this... My courgettes (*marrows*) are still going nuts. Took out the spongy middle, sliced about thickness of a quid, and a couple of sliced jalapeños too because they went nuts as well.. Went for a dry brine - might have been a mistake, but thought bigger courgettes would have more water? Then realised had no cider vinegar so made it with white wine vinegar. But the rest of it I followed to a T! Thanks!

Comment

• Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear these are good

Comment

• Does this work if your courgettes are more marrow than courgette, I have two that are roughly 10 inch diameter and about 2ft long. I won't make cake as I'm not that fond of it, and they've gone a bit beyond my normal picking and griddling size.
                            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

• Late response sorry! Yes mine were more like marrows. Ok, ok, they were whoppers.. I took the spongy middle bit out and dry brine to get rid of some of the excess liquid. Hope you did them, I wish I'd made more!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X