No announcement yet.

Pickled Courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm down to my last jar or two...trying to decide how much I love one of my friends and whether I can afford her a jar for a little housewarming gift
    Have vinegar and courgettes at the ready to make another batch before the courgettes stop.
    I can't take credit for the recipe,it was given to me by a friend when we had our first glut a few years ago...pleased you're all enjoying it too though
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I'm just printing it off for my lottie neighbour.....

Comment

Made this too, bit of strong chedder....wow! Also googled this. Very very similar, except with flour added to the vinegar mix. More of a quick piccalilli really and I think the mustart seed quntities are slightly different. Looks good too though. Only problem is I dont have aglut of anything cept curly dwarf kale!!!!

"Got a post-summer glut of courgettes? Get pickling with this recipe from chef Oliver Rowe at Konstam

For the pickling mix:
        500ml cider vinegar
        120g sugar
        1 tbsp crushed yellow and brown mustard seeds
        1 tsp ground turmeric
        For 1 litre of pickling liquid:
        500g courgettes
        2 tbsp salt
        1 small onion
        1 tbsp flour
        Method: How to make courgette pickle
        1. Slice the courgettes very thinly into discs either using a mandolin or by hand. Slice the onion very thinly. Place together in a large bowl, add salt and mix thoroughly. Cover with very cold water and stir to dissolve salt.

2. After 1 hour, drain and dry thoroughly in small batches in a salad spinner or by hand between towels. Combine the pickling mix in a saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes. Set aside until just warm to touch.

3. Mix the courgettes with the cooled liquid in a bowl. Transfer to sterilised jars and leave for a day or two before using. The pickles lose their crunch after a couple of months so don’t leave them hanging around too long.

© Oliver Rowe at Konstam"
        http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Good grief!! I am not that fond of pickles and I am eating the stuff straight out of the pan! Thanks Di

ps huge improvement on my pickled beetroot which was just this side of edible apparently
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
            I'm down to my last jar or two...
            I'm having to hide mine now, because Mr TS keeps giving them to his friends & family. BiL took 3 jars, greedy piggy

I'm running out of courgettes now, so I'm mixing them in with French beans, carrots, onions & beetroot: pickled veg
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              I'm having to hide mine now, because Mr TS keeps giving them to his friends & family. BiL took 3 jars, greedy piggy

I'm running out of courgettes now, so I'm mixing them in with French beans, carrots, onions & beetroot: pickled veg
              That sound good TS, as I dont have aglut of anything cept Kale! Do you put the other veg in salt solution the same as the courgettes?

Comment

Thanks again for the recipe my first jars didn't last very long so this time I've made double the amount.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I made this last night - jars in fridge now, keeping for a week before trying.
                  Has anyone got any tips of how I can sterilize two Edwardian pickle jars (cut glass) to store this pickle in? I don't want to risk them in the oven, dishwasher or microwave - or boil them- as they are too valuable. But it would be nice to use them for pickles!
                  Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

How about milton fluid jeannie?

Comment

How do I use that then Jackyspratty? (Never used Milton).
                      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Mix the Milton as the instructions for baby bottles, then leave the jars (thoroughly washed) filled with solution for several hours (overnight?) and when ready to use them, empty out, DO NOT RINSE, and fill immediately.
                        I don't think I would bother sterilising for pickles anyway. The vinegar content should be enough, but if you want to, that is the method.
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                          I don't think I would bother sterilising for pickles anyway. The vinegar content should be enough, but if you want to, that is the method.
                          Really?!
                          The faff of sterilising is what puts me off making so much more....not that I'm lazy or anything
                          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Possibly my favourite courgette recipe!!

Pickling mix:~500ml cider vinegar
                            120g sugar
                            1&1/2 tsp dry mustard
                            1&1/2 tsp crushed yellow & brown mustard seed
                            1 tsp ground turmeric

500g courgettes
                            2tbsp salt
                            1 sm onion

1.slice courgettes &onoin very thinly into discs(easier with a mandoline!)Place in bowl~add salt & mix well.cover with very cold water & stir to dissolve salt.
                            2.after 1hr drain & dry thoroughly~either in salad spinner or between towels.
                            3.Combine pickling mix in saucepan & simmer for 3 mins.set aside until just warm.
                            4.Mix courgettes & onion with the cooled liquid.~transfer to sterilised jars.cover & refrigerate for at least a day before eating.
                            Will keep indefinately in fridge.

Absolutely yummy with cheese & crusty bread!
                            can also add dried chilli flakes to the mix for an added kick! ENJOY!
                            Can you you something other than Cider Vinegar? Cider Vinegar is rather expensive!
                            Ta Muchly
                            Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
                            Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
                            FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

Really?!
                              The faff of sterilising is what puts me off making so much more....not that I'm lazy or anything
                              Some preserves/pickles only 'keep' because they are sealed in sterilized containers, and have a short shelf-life once opened. This basically applies to things that are put into jars hot (jar and content) as with jams.
                              For anything else, really strict basic hygiene should suffice. If you aren't sterilizing the contents (other than with the vinegar/salt) what is the point of sterilizing the jar?
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I use balsamic vinegar. I know that it doesn't preserve as well as cider vinegar or pickling vinegar but it is less harsh and these pickles don't last two minutes in my house anyway! It used to be very expensive to buy balsamic vinegar but Lidl is selling 250ml bottles for 99p at the moment which will hardly break the bank.

I'm a newbie by the way so hello to all the regular forum users.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X