X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potstubsdustbins
    replied
    I think your wrong for one simple reason its now 16 days since your first post on the subject.

Your plants would now be a browny/black mess.

Potty

Leave a comment:

• Stan79
    replied
    Thanks. I did Google it and wasn't convinced it was as it doesn't look like the majority of the pictures. Yes it looks like one of them but not the majority!!!

Leave a comment:

• daviddevantnhisspiritwife
    replied
    Hopefully I am wrong then! I must admit, the spuds under the ground are ok.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Compare and contrast:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...mg._234BqJubJA

Leave a comment:

• Potstubsdustbins
    replied
    Don't think that's blight Stan.

Blight is brown blotches with a white mould on the edge of the spots when you turn the leaf over. Looks more like its done its job to me.

Potty

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Stan79 View Post
    Rather than start a new thread I was wondering if someone could look at the picture below and tell me whether this is blight or just the potato plants dying back?

Many thanks.
    I think it looks like early blight. Which is what I also think mine is turning out to be.

I might be wrong (I have used google as a reference).

I did apply Epsom salts on the chance that it was magnesium deficiency and I have also fed them in case they were lacking. The weather has been pretty condusive to it here with numerous alerts over the last month.

I have taken the precaution of removing the worst affected foliage which has gotten like yours - luckily there are some reasonable spuds under the ground, but sadly not a great volume of them.

Leave a comment:

• Stan79
    replied
    Rather than start a new thread I was wondering if someone could look at the picture below and tell me whether this is blight or just the potato plants dying back?

Many thanks.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• BertieFox
    replied
    I have now finished harvesting the crop which was surprisingly much better than I expected, mostly small potatoes but quite a few fairly large ones too. We will have to eat lots of potatoes over the next month as I doubt they will store for long, but we shall see.
    I gave all the tomato plants a drenching in Bordeaux mixture though it has rained heavily several times again with thunderstorms so it may have washed off... a few tomato plants have tiny brown blotches on the leaves, but I'm hoping this won't spread as most haven't flowered yet or begun to set fruit. Does anyone know how often you have to reapply Bordeaux mixture to give them protection if it is raining heavily and frequently?
    At least with early blight it has given me warning to plant far more inside the polytunnel so we should at least get a reasonable tomato crop from those.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the opinions. I think the alerts and the continued muggy and thoroughly miserable weather had me on hyper alert :P.

It's been a little brighter on and off today, I shall stand down and just keep an eye.

Leave a comment:

• Tripmeup
    replied
    Doesn't look like blight to me either...

Leave a comment:

• marchogaeth
    replied
    I'm prepared to be wrong but I don't think that's blight. If you are worried just pull of and burn the individual leaves. Get rid of any dying leaves in the bottom of the rows.

Leave a comment:

replied
    We've had 3 full smith periods in our postcode area over the last week or so. I have been keeping an eye on my potatoes. The alert covered a wide area of Swansea SA1 - SA8.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but could someone who knows tell me if I need to get spraying or not and if I should cull and burn this plant - as I noticed this just now:

Our local GC does not sell Dithane, they said it has been withdrawn? They do have Bordeaux, but, I read that this persists longer in the soil?

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by daviddevantnhisspiritwife; 16-06-2013, 02:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SarzWix
    replied
    Blightwatch.co.uk - the essential service for professional potato growers is a really useful service, even if you aren't planning to spread it alerts you to keep your eye out for any signs. But, it's not much cop for those who live outside the UK. It sounds like BertieFox has had blight conditions long before us.

Leave a comment:

• Olorin2001
    replied
    I recently registered with blightwatch dot uk, figuring it would take the guess work out of whether and when to spray. It was free so there was nothing to lose. On Thursday I had an SMS of a full Smith Period allert and sprayed my plot and the neighbours with Burgandy mixture.

Leave a comment:

• SarzWix
    replied
    With blight, the very worst thing you can do is do nothing, it just gives it more time to proliferate You'll have to be ultra vigilant, chopping off and burning any affected foliage that appears from now on. A thick mulch on your remaining spuds would help to protect the tubers from any spores washed onto the soil too; straw/grass-clippings/shredded paper or even plain cardboard.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X