X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BertieFox
    replied
    Thanks for the helpful advice. I do think it's blight as the weather was very humid and warm just before the rain, which continued yesterday.
    I will get out today and cut off and remove all the infected foliage, especially as the most affected are the Linzers. I might be able to save some of the others if I spray. I will get some Bordeaux mixture and give the tomatoes a splash as they haven't been affected yet.
    Thanks again for the advice as my immediate reaction is to throw up my hands in horror and do nothing. At least it sounds like I might be able to retrieve something if I get out there and do something.

Leave a comment:

• PyreneesPlot
    replied
    I've what looks like blight on the tomatoes - stripped them of almost all their leaves earlier in the week and sprayed with Bordeaux mix.
    We've gone from torrential rain and 9 degrees in the day to torrential rain and 13 overnight and 32 during the day in just a week.

Leave a comment:

• redser
    replied
    Blight warning in effect in Ireland as of today. Humid and wet weather due over the next couple of days. And so it begins. Feel for you Bertie, lost everything last year.
    Last edited by redser; 09-06-2013, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Thelma Sanders
    replied
    or was the storm so heavy that the sheer weight of the rain did the damage?

Leave a comment:

• SarzWix
    replied
    That seems incredibly quick! The first thing to do is get rid of the damaged foliage, pronto. Then spray everything else with Bordeaux if you're planning to use it. You could try protecting the tomatoes with a hastily rigged up cage of some sort, covered with polythene or perhaps fleece stops spores? I don't know.

Have you had damp or excessively humid weather before the thunderstorm? It takes at least 2 days of warm and humid weather for spores to become active, and then time to do the damage?

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    There was a blight warning in Cheshire a couple of weeks ago.
    It takes the fungal spores about 10-14 days to affect the plant- so yes it is possible it could be blight .

Do the leaves have dark splodges on them?
    Last edited by Nicos; 09-06-2013, 10:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• VirginVegGrower
    replied
    Is it Blackleg? Where's the damage?

Leave a comment:

• WendyC
    replied
    Does seem a bit early but can't think of much else that causes such rapid devastation. Did you take any photos? You could spray your tomatoes with Bordeaux mixture to try and protect them. I think I would clear the foliage that has gone, it's not doing any good even if it isn't blight. You could also spray any unaffected foliage and wait and see what happens. How disappointing.

Leave a comment:

• BertieFox
    replied
    Blight already?

After sunny warm weather for ten days or more, we had a thunderstorm on Friday and then rain last night and this morning.
    I've just gone to check on the potatoes which were growing so well last week, only to find an entire bed of Linzer Delicatess and some others with foliage rotting and going brown. Surely this can't be blight already?

I have been 'earthing them up' with grass cuttings but would imagine the blight came in the heavy rain. But what should we do now?

Few of the potatoes seem to have much more than a few pea sized potatoes so far, but I am sure this will spread to all the healthy plants. Is it too late to spray with Bordeaux mixture? And what will happen to all the young tomato plants I have just planted out?

This seems like it's going to be a disaster, especially as the weather is due to remain showery for another week.

Any suggestions about how to minimise the disaster would be welcome.

Leave a comment:

• GreenTricky
    replied
    Well I thought it could wait to the weekend but looking them, all the plants have it today, picked the greens ones that looked most ok, everything else will be binned, frustrating, probably over a hundred good size tomatoes lost

Leave a comment:

• rustylady
    replied
    Could you add your location to your profile please GreenTricky? Then it will show up on your posts.

Whether you move your plants or not you will still need to cut out the affected leaves / shoots.

Leave a comment:

• GreenTricky
    replied
    I'm in Leicestershire, actually the comment its late in the year for blight seems reasonable, think I will move the infected couple to the front garden and see if they get worse before the weekend, if they do will harvest the green tomatoes and dispose of the plants

Leave a comment:

• rustylady
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenTricky View Post
    Hmmm...these ones are outside and thought botrytis was normally in humid greenhouses, either way I can assume its not good and that the plants need disposing of, frustrating as the plants are packed with fruit
    Cut out the damaged bits with sharp clean secateurs and see what you are left with. By the way, whereabouts are you?
    Last edited by rustylady; 04-10-2012, 11:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Alison
    replied
    Would have thought it was rather late in the year for blight now.

Leave a comment:

• GreenTricky
    replied
    Hmmm...these ones are outside and thought botrytis was normally in humid greenhouses, either way I can assume its not good and that the plants need disposing of, frustrating as the plants are packed with fruit

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X