This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by annie8 View Post
    My habanero plants are growing little side shoots that look like the cordons that you remove on tomatoes. Should I be taking them off ?
    No, leave them, they're fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by monkeyboy View Post
      Well so far my padron peppers produced a reasonable harvest (total 12 peppers between two plants).

The jalapenos on the other hand struggled. Two normal sized peppers, and about four mini sized (think large grape) from a total of four plants.

Not sure whether to overwinter or just start again from scratch next year.
      Well obviously it depends on how much space you have indoors etc. but I think I'd probably start again next year with the jalapenos, with a different source of seeds - maybe they are just a feeble type?

Comment

• Pot size help

Sooo ive been doing some reading and im confused. I have all my chillies in 3lt pots, 2 have fruits 2 have the flower bits but not opened. My gues is the naga and scotch have matured and trinidad maruga and reaper are still growing. Is it to late to transfer to 10lt pots? Roots are showing on the 2 fruiting ones. Wish i could attach pics and show. Ta

Comment

• Originally posted by HoneyChild View Post
          I'm really struggling to believe that what I've grown is 500 SHU. I also grow hungarian hot wax which is supposed to be 1,000 to 15,000 and the hottest ones that I've had barely register a tingle on my tounge.
          I've had the same. Hot banana, cayenetta and space chillies with almost no heat at all, then the kitchen peppers, which are suppost to be sweet, are scorching hot. Completely took me by surprise. Some of the jalapenos have been heatless too. Makes no sense.

Comment

• Is it to late to transfer to 10lt pots? Roots are showing on the 2 fruiting ones
            Depends a lot on where you are and where your plants are being grown.
            I'm still potting some of mine up due to various delays (six weeks approx. after my usual cut-off for that job ) but then we have had a pretty exceptional summer this year and there should be a few weeks yet of productivity to capitalise on. Also I want them to be in a bigger pot size to be winter ready.
            If the plants look like they need going up a size, then I would, but I think 10lt would be the max. given the time of year. In my GH I'm now closing all the vents certainly at night and also during the day to get the temperature right up (high 20's the target), to ensure the tail end of the summer still ripens my chocolate habanero and paper lantern pods. I've got loads of Joe's Long cayenne still green, and Espelette, but less bothered about them, they'll turn easier when it's time.
            But if you're in an artificial space i.e. a grow tent I'd have thought the passing season is less of a concern. Maybe all it comes down to is what have you got space for?
            Last edited by Philthy; 30-08-2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
              Depends a lot on where you are and where your plants are being grown.
              I'm still potting some of mine up due to various delays (six weeks approx. after my usual cut-off for that job ) but then we have had a pretty exceptional summer this year and there should be a few weeks yet of productivity to capitalise on. Also I want them to be in a bigger pot size to be winter ready.
              If the plants look like they need going up a size, then I would, but I think 10lt would be the max. given the time of year. In my GH I'm now closing all the vents certainly at night and also during the day to get the temperature right up (high 20's the target), to ensure the tail end of the summer still ripens my chocolate habanero and paper lantern pods. I've got loads of Joe's Long cayenne still green, and Espelette, but less bothered about them, they'll turn easier when it's time.
              But if you're in an artificial space i.e. a grow tent I'd have thought the passing season is less of a concern. Maybe all it comes down to is what have you got space for?

I am in a 70x70x160 tent under led. Not wanting to remove one from the tent to make space but also worried that the pots may be to small. First time growing so total trial and error.

Comment

• My ladybirds have been breeding. I've spotted lots more larvae running around my chilli plants the last couple of days .

Comment

• A few Jalapenos picked this evening
                  Attached Files
                  I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                  sigpic

Comment

• What to do with the rocoto La Paz rojo? (Grown from Jackarmy's seeds received in the seed circle last year.) First pods have turned red.

I've never grown a rocoto (or any pubescens) before and I don't really know what to expect. From the outside they seem as if they will be very fleshy because they are quite heavy and solid-feeling compared with other chilli pods. They are supposed to be medium heat. I'm thinking chilli jam might be the way to go with these; anyone got any better suggestions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
                      A few Jalapenos picked this evening
                      Those yellow ones don't look very jalapeno-like!

Comment

• Urm...I have a question!
                        How on earth (apart from tasting) can you tell if a black chilli is ready to take? They have been black for several weeks now but taste 'green' if you know what I mean?
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          Urm...I have a question!
                          How on earth (apart from tasting) can you tell if a black chilli is ready to take? They have been black for several weeks now but taste 'green' if you know what I mean?
                          What are they?
                          Lots of black ones turn a dark red when ripe (depending on variety) and they do seem to take longer than anything else to ripen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                            Urm...I have a question!
                            As SP says, most "black" chillies ripen to red, e.g. I am growing Chenzo and they start off green, very quickly turn black, and weeks and weeks later, turn red. I believe Hungarian Black does the same. I have read that Pimenta da Neyde stay black (neither of my plants have produced any pods yet and I've not grown them before, so I don't know yet!) and there may be others, but most blacks turn red.

Comment

• OK...thanks! good to know .
                              I was hoping they would ripen before digging them up to move indoors
                              You'd have thought with this really hot summer they'd gave ripened earlier!
                              (I did sow them late though and they took ages to get established outside)
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                                As SP says, most "black" chillies ripen to red, e.g. I am growing Chenzo and they start off green, very quickly turn black, and weeks and weeks later, turn red. I believe Hungarian Black does the same. I have read that Pimenta da Neyde stay black (neither of my plants have produced any pods yet and I've not grown them before, so I don't know yet!) and there may be others, but most blacks turn red.
                                Yeah Hungarian black go a dark red eventually. I grow them. They have a lovely flavour when ripe and really quick unpleasant when still black.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X