This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    I spotted this interesting link where it says 16C is the minimum temp at which they will grow..... have you found that is the case SP?

16 Tips on Growing Hot Chilli Peppers in a Cold Climate: 4 Steps (with Pictures)
    Yeah definitely. The colder they are the slower they are.
    Bit like me

I've just read the 16 tips. I did like the idea of silver foil to bounce light back up under the plants.
    Has anyone tried this?
    Unfortunately I thought the rest of it made growing chillies sound very complicated. Obviously that may just be me, not being very bright again . If that was the first thing I read about growing chillies before I started, I probably won't of started. I think that about a lot of veggie gardening advice on the interweb and in books.
    That's why I like the vine, you get the answer you're looking for without it all being ponced up
    Last edited by Small pumpkin; 07-02-2018, 12:36 PM. Reason: Slight interlude while I read the link.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
      As long as you can keep the temperature above 10 degrees at night. Even then they won't be happy, but they might stay alive. They prefer a constant temperature of about 18 degrees.
      To be honest I don't think my chillies get that sort of heat constantly, but it's not far off.
      Thanks. As a precaution I think I will transfer some back into the house

Comment

• It partly depends on which type of chilli it is too. The chinense varieties (usually the hottest ones) need higher temperatures than the others. Baccatums and pubescens like rocotos can stand it a bit colder. I put three baccatums and one chinense in my unheated garage to give them a shot at overwintering. Temperatures will be well below 10*C although I haven't a thermometer to check. The chinense is dead. The baccatums don't look well - all their leaves have shrivelled and crisped - but the stems are still green so I am hopeful that they will pull through.

Comment

• Older plants can take cooler temperatures and won't keel over quite so readily. A small seedling can't take any kind of chill...what kind of temps are you getting at night and day? They may stay alive at cooler temps than 15 but I don't think you will see much growth and if you can't give the kind of growing conditions they require now it's probably not worth the bother of starting early.

Comment

• Was just clearing out my porch to get the heated bed setup and noticed this..

It is my 1st chilli of 2018 - 5cm De Cayenne (Hot) Pepper still green ... and not a seed sown for this year. Quite impressed - they were all almost on the compost heap.

The Chocolate Habanero still has 3 small 1cm fruits - now all chocolate - no fruit from this year.

Red Scotch bonnet still hanging in there and the Ring of Fire plants coming into flower.

The chilli is to the right of the stick - between the new white flower and the pail handle hinge

And temperature drops each night - Polycarbonate Roof
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 4Shoes; 07-02-2018, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
              Was just clearing out my porch to get the heated bed setup and noticed this..

It is my 1st chilli of 2018 - 5cm De Cayenne (Hot) Pepper still green ... and not a seed sown for this year. Quite impressed - they were all almost on the compost heap.
              Many congratulations on your first chilli of the year!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                Older plants can take cooler temperatures and won't keel over quite so readily. A small seedling can't take any kind of chill...what kind of temps are you getting at night and day? They may stay alive at cooler temps than 15 but I don't think you will see much growth and if you can't give the kind of growing conditions they require now it's probably not worth the bother of starting early.
                Hi, got heating on but min has been 5 deg last night. Moved them all back in the house and also planted some fresh seeds. Jalepeno look ok but Habenero look at bit sick.

All a big learning curve however my mistakes should reduce in time!

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                  Welcome to the slippery slope that is chilli growing obsession

Starting chillies now is a very good idea. I started in December! Don't worry your not to late I'm just mad Once they pop their little heads up get them out of the heated propagator and on to a window ledge.
                  Well I'm glad to hear it! So I am neither mad or too late for the "Garden Party"

Still not sown a single seed! But "Chilli Fest" seed sowing is earmarked for Friday n Saturday of this week now all my gear is set up and the compost in the props are now warm!

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                  I've just read the 16 tips. I did like the idea of silver foil to bounce light back up under the plants.
                  Has anyone tried this?
                  Unfortunately I thought the rest of it made growing chillies sound very complicated. Obviously that may just be me, not being very bright again, If that was the first thing I read about growing chillies before I started, I probably won't of started. I think that about a lot of veggie gardening advice on the interweb and in books.
                  That's why I like the vine, you get the answer you're looking for without it all being ponced up
                  Yeah! I also find a lot of info on veggie growing a little too in depth and complicating, and it really needn't be, it really, really isn't that difficult!

And yeah! I too am liking the idea with "Tin Foil"
                  "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Just had a read through of the linked tips also; it's sound advice

I'm also liking the tin foil idea.

The tip about soaking seeds prior to sowing, I did this the first few years of chilli growing (I used an ice cube tray with corresponding grid sketch to keep track of what variety was in each cell of the tray), but then dropped the process. Potentially halving germination times is definitely useful to know, but it also depends on environmental factors beyond the propagator whether you need to worry about fast tracking the process. In other words pre-soak is not a crucial step (in my opinion). I did my seeds over two weeks ago straight from their packets and none are through yet. The bitter wind and covering of ice outside right now tells me there's really no rush

Of course, my present zero germination could also be due to the propagator I use; it's one of those Garland heated trays with fixed maintained heat output of 19c running on a lowly 10w, so right at the lowest end of the recommended temperature range. Yeah, germination when it happens can be a bit erratic, but the seeds get there eventually, even the super-hots. In the past everything from Jalapeno to Carolina Reaper started life in that gadget and invariably they go on to perform wonderfully. Patience is the key

Comment

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
                      Just had a read through of the linked tips also; it's sound advice

I'm also liking the tin foil idea.

The tip about soaking seeds prior to sowing, I did this the first few years of chilli growing (I used an ice cube tray with corresponding grid sketch to keep track of what variety was in each cell of the tray), but then dropped the process. Potentially halving germination times is definitely useful to know, but it also depends on environmental factors beyond the propagator whether you need to worry about fast tracking the process. In other words pre-soak is not a crucial step (in my opinion). I did my seeds over two weeks ago straight from their packets and none are through yet. The bitter wind and covering of ice outside right now tells me there's really no rush
                      I'm the same Philthy. Used to soak seed in an ice cube tray. That practice has stopped. Personally I didn't notice any difference with germination timings or rates.

I stopped doing it so long ago, I'd forgotten it was an option.
                      I'm now wondering if I should try it on the varieties I'm have trouble germinating.

Comment

• My Black Wax seeds have germinated...after only 9 days!!!!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Last year I tried not soaking, soaking in tea, chamomile tea etc. This year I have soaked all my seeds in plain old (hot) tap water. Well it starts off hot and then cools down as they are soaking. I'm not sure if this is scientific, but a lot of the seeds start off floating, and this suggests to me that the seed coat is impervious to the water and therefore they are not ready to germinate. After a few hours in the water, most have sunk to the bottom (or do if I give them a stir.) They have taken water onboard, so I sow them. Any that are still floating, I leave in the water for longer (maybe changing it for hot water again.) I'm getting pretty good germination rates this year so I'll keep doing it. Mind you, I'm not growing any of the esoteric wild varieties that supposedly need to pass through the gut of a bird to germinate.

Comment

My Black Wax seeds have germinated...after only 9 days!!!!
                            Well done! It's wonderful to see the first loops / leaves, isn't it?

Comment

• Yep...and especially so as these are tinged black!
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Yep...and especially so as these are tinged black!
                                I know what you mean; I'm growing Pimenta da Neyde this year and they had pretty purple loops. The seed leaves are sort of dark green but the true leaves are dark purple. Very attractive.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X