Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a quick foray to the plot to plant out some courgettes and do some hoeing - I only weeded at the weekend but after all that rain everything had growed! (Why do weeds grow more quickly than the good stuff?). Also planted some French beans and runner beans directly into the ground - my pot ones at home are being very tardy. Moulded up potatoes a bit more. Hopefully sometime over the weekend I can plant out cauliflowers, some PSB and the spring onions that have been started in modules. And the beetroot in modules too. Grey and slightly damp here this morning. On the plus side the tomatoes in the greenhouse are growing like mad and will soon be ready for the 'final' pots! Some of them are flowering already.

Comment

• Planted out some cell-grown beetroot where a row of turnips had disappeared. I hate using slug pellets but I scattered some around here because everything is getting grazed off - it's under fine mesh anyway, so no wildlife could get in. Was going to Nem@slug it, but when i got the packet out of the fridge I noticed it was a month out of date - didn't realise it had a use by date... well that was a waste of money!
      Pulled up the last of the giant flowering sorrel - doubt i'll bother growing that again! I have enough docks on my plot as it is!
      He-Pep!

Comment

• Sat down with a cider to catch up with the vine as have been working flat out to ensure work is all done before my holiday. Much deep breathing and trying to control heaving as I moved through the pages on slug cuisine.....

Wrote note for pot neighbours asking them to water the greenhouse and keep an eye on it whilst I'm away. Poured out inches of water from everything on the hardening off table. Planted out 1 tray of spring onions before the drowned. Did a bit of slug lobbing into an empty plot. Scowled at the starlings who, undeterred from savaging my Marigolds have returned for my carnation cuttings. Remembered I haven't watered the indoor plants. Got up, watered then finished my cider.
        https://roosorganicallotment.wordpress.com/
        Growing by trial and error in Kent

Comment

• What a day! Tidied the paths with a straight edge and a spade, put in six sprout plants, fourteen cabbages and countless onions.. around 50 at a guess.. hoe'd off one bed leaving it lovely and tidy and angry weeds.. still got a rhubabarb plant to go out, giant marrows still need another week or two before going to the plot and also some pumpkins to go in, its all going together nicely now ��

Comment

• Today I did lots of potting. Potted on the cucumbers, peppers and chillis; pricked out some sprout and cauliflower seedlings, put the tomatoes into their final pots. I've nearly run out of compost now, but just about got enough left to sow a few more lettuce and cabbage seeds.
            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Mr Postman brought me a couple of packages today which was nice.

Went down to plant out the contents of the packages - Earth Chestnut (aka Black Cumin), Oca, some walking onion bulbils (which are a different variety to the ones I have so should hopefully give larger bulbils) and some potato onions.

I know that it might be a bit late to be planting onions but this is the only time I've seen the Green Mountain onions available in the UK.

As my root veg was mainly a no show that left me with spaces to fill up which also let me move the last of the leeks out of the greenhouse - great I can now replace the compost and rejig a little.

Cleared out the weeds from a couple of old worn out wheelbarrows to be used as planters.

Weeded a bit and just as I was leaving found a slug in my skirret so squished it.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• Pruned the tomatoes and spotted the first little tommy hiding behind the leaves
                Dug docks and decapitated cow parsley before it sets seeds. Its trying to take over the garden!
                Pulled up lots of forgetmenots and two Pinks by mistake Put the pinks in a vase and pretended that I'd picked them deliberately. Dumped the forgetmenots in the wild border (which one did you ask?) where they can spread willy nilly.
                Found some strange http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ore_93574.html
                Rescued a drowning bumblebee but decided against giving it mouth-to-mouth.
                All in all, an action packed day! I'm exhausted!

Comment

• Tried to deal with one plotholder who is like the Falange - her way no way - tired of it to be honest -

toms planted on the plot - other stuff planted on
                  sigpic
                  1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

• Rained pretty much all day, so not standing around on a beach for a flounder in it, did a bit of tidying of tomato plants, removing the side shoots and then watched about 4 hours of rugby, pity my team lost.

Comment

• Mowed the lawn, propped up the Nigellas, weeded, brushed off aphids from the Dahlias & roped up the tomatoes.

Comment

• Planted out sugar snaps, mange tout and CFBs.

Comment

• Can't even remember which day, but sometime recently.....

Planted out 3 sprouts Trafalgar and 3 PSB. I have more, but I'm trying for succession a bit more this time... Dug up a blacklegged Charlotte. Weeded. Thinned the radishes and parsnips. Looks like I got snip germination at every station, so I'm pleased. Harvested some more rocket and mustard spinach. Sundry watering and tidying.

It got down to 4C on my plot sometime this week, a few days after the runners popped above ground. They look a little yellow, but sturdy, so fingers crossed...

Comment

• Busy day today, strimmed all the grass/weeds round the edge of the plot, and then weeded the middle bed and all the paths - managed to fill a 40ltr tub with weeds! Got fed up of the edges of said bed spilling on to the path, so put down a row of pallet collars alongside to act as edging for the path and raised beds.

Put in some more dwarf french bean seeds, the plants I had out look a bit battered. Sowed some purple haze carrots into a mfb, and planted out three tomato plants (also in mfb) in the greenhouse. Really must plant out my brocolli and cauliflowers sometime soon, although i have noticed that the labels have faded, so i have no idea what is what....

Came home with a cracking case of sunburn on my arms too!

Comment

• A weekend away playing on the trains in North Yorkshire........

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170520_151640[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	2372672

...... but got back home in time to plant out the tomatoes and a cucumber into their final spots in the courtyard - although it was in the dark by the time I'd finished, hence these particularly poor pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170521_213241[1].jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	2372673 Click image for larger version

Name:	20170521_213320[1].jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	2372674

I used a mix of tomato grow bag and MPC - after some years of peat free growing, I'm afraid I've succumbed to the dark side as my results last year (despite feeding well) in particular were very poor.

Comment

• Planted out cabbages, beans and more tomatoes
                                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X