Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I reading this wrong? You're overwintering Hot Lemon, Thai Dragon and a Fatalii but you're also going to sow seeds of the same varieties?
    Yep. Seeds are for plants I'm hoping to crop 2018
    I've always grown with the seasons, and historically have had no expectation of a worthwhile crop from first year plants. Best performance of most varieties I've found is in years 2 + 3, and after that cropping tails off.
    These three are my favourites. Sowing seeds every year ensures I'll always have a fresh supply of them.

after soaking for a few hours in chamomile tea
    Why chamomile tea? Not heard of this before

Comment

Lemmon Drop is awesome Jacks
      dont fret too much about the hhw, you will get a good crop if you resow in feb, maybe even march, their quite a quick grower ive found.
      Do even better after a good soak in john smiths, about an hour

Comment

Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
        Do even better after a good soak in john smiths, about an hour

If I had known that would of saved some as my dad gave my hubby a few tins at chrimbo

Comment

Originally posted by Philthy View Post
          I've heard about this from the excellent chileman website. Never tried chamomile tea method myself, but it says:

'It is the tannins in tea (which softens the seed casing) that is believed to be behind the success of this method. Any tea will do, but several growers have reported that Chamomile tea is particularly good as the teas anti fungal properties are said to reduce the problem of 'damping off'.

chile pepper starting seeds

Never tried the pigeon droppings method either. It's mentioned on the same page

Comment

Originally posted by Philthy View Post
            I read somewhere that it has antiseptic properties and reduces mould and rotting. Also breaks down the hard seed case a bit. No idea if it works but someone brought some chamomile tea bags into work so I thought I'd try it. Might be a load of rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
              I'm probably wrong but the impression I get is that the manzano (which means apple in Spanish, so should definitely be apple shaped) is one type of rocoto, and there are others. So all manzanos are rocotos but not all rocotos are manzanos.
              Depends which website you've got your info from as from what I've read (lots of conflicting advice) that the names are just derived from the country in which they are grown.... Manzano in Mexico, Rocoto in Peru, locotos in Bolivia.
              Wiki says that the cultivars include "canario" (yello) rojo(red) Peron (pear-shaped) rocoto Longo (from the canaries) and orange.

If you read a few chilli databases they all have conflicting info. varieties are renamed similar to sellers renaming tomatoes etc.

Comment

Happy New Year all...

Indoor Plants Overwintering progress

Picked some Red Manzano chillies tonight!! Scrapped the plants with bad greenfly and sprayed down some others I want to keep...

At this stage I still have:

Inside the House> 3 Purple Jalapeños with lots of leaves on them, 2 Orange Habanero, a Red Manzano (some fruit still on!!), a Lemon Drop and a Hot Scotch

A number of others are still alive out in the greenhouses.I am rather neglecting those though...

There is a Lemon Drop (pic 4) that I've left quite straggly!! Plenty of branches for growth and all looks quite green still..
                There is a Hotscotch (pic 5) that has a few leaves that are not looking too well, so we will see what happens......
                There is the Red Manzano (pic 3) and as you can see it still has fruit on it!! ready to fall off!! Hopefully, this makes it through to 2017 growing!!

Below in pic 2 is 2 (of 3) of the Purple Jalapeno that I kind of just left at it as they were still producing some chillies in November, Will clip them back a bit and see what happens...

Below also in pic 1 are 2 Orange Habanero that are still thriving and that I might not even clip back at this stage..Still have flowers here and there despite me pulling a load of them today...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Tripmeup; 03-01-2017, 08:56 PM.
                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                sigpic

Comment

As for what to grow in 2017, there are some great lists below so best of luck to everyone..best get cracking on mine soon...Am just about ready to let the Christmas feelin and excesses and resting etc go, so any day now

No probs re the Pasilla Bajio Ms-T....they are easy though for an expert like yourself
                  I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                  sigpic

Comment

Just up and running with:

2 seeds of each of:

Black Naga
                    Fish Chilli
                    Act Sivri
                    Akhabar

thank you to their donors

first of many I hope

and embarassingly, i then couldnt resist adding 4 more of:

Tri Colour Variegata
                    Bulgarian carrot
                    Long Green Buddha
                    Guindilla
                    Last edited by Tripmeup; 03-01-2017, 11:50 PM.

...utterly nutterly
                    sigpic

Comment

• (No probs re the Pasilla Bajio Ms-T....they are easy though for an expert like yourself)

Trip, Happy New Year to you too

i did try the Pasilla Bajio last year with no luck ..

and have heard they are hard to get started..

Comment

• right i will be sowing some soon and will detail as I go along..

...utterly nutterly
                        sigpic

Comment

• Further sowings today...

Pulla Red
                          Serrano tampiqueno
                          Royal Black
                          Trepadeira Werner

Chocolate Habanero
                          Black Naga that maybe crossed with Trinidad Scorpion
                          Turbo Pube X Alberto's Locoto
                          Basque Chilli
                          Last edited by Tripmeup; 04-01-2017, 02:05 PM.

...utterly nutterly
                          sigpic

Comment

• I've got another Dorset Naga germinating! I'm very surprised as the seed try got put in the shed over Christmas as it was in the way in the dining room. I thought everything had germinated that was going to. the tray came back in last week for the second round of sowing. Labels left in the cell that didn't have full germination. I had a look this morning and a little scotch bonnet and rooster spur are starting to show. In the cell next to them a Dorset Naga I'm very happy and amazed.
                            So may this be a lesson to all our impatient chilli growers ( you know who you are , including me it would seem )
                            42 days germination

Comment

• i just checked my super 7 and 3 of the 4 jalaeno`s have come up ,v pleased with that,i only planted them on boxing day ,i`ll try and post some pics soon ,cheers
                              The Dude abides.

Comment

• ok guys, i have ordered or have both of these

Espellette peppers and red basque chilli , are they the same ?

the espellette seems like a ceyenne size whilst the basque seems like a bigger pod, the more i look the more unsure i am, any ideas ?
                                Last edited by jackarmy; 04-01-2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X