X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
    Do we do any pruning in the autumn?
    Personally I only do a light pruning ( depending on size of plant ) then prun again early spring before it starts growing again.
    I'm not considering doing it till end of next month (weather depending), they're all still growing and producing.

Comment

• HI
      Just thought I'd check in re chillis.
      Most of my GC plants have whitefly, never had that problem before, also greenfly on one grrr.
      I don't think il overwinter these.
      Krakatoa has produced quite a few and still another 20 ripening.
      One I'd describe as a Birdseye type are small but plenty heat.
      Naga hasn done much.
      Habanero ripening though there arnt loads.
      Cayenne are larger than I expected but still green yet.

Thinking il make some hot chilli sauce with most but how many hot chillis do you add per how many jars say? Don't want to blow our heads off
      Any fave recipes?
      Northern England.

Comment

• There's a lot of chilli recipes here
        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...pes_90239.html

Comment

• Overnight temperatures starting to edge below 10*C, but closed greenhouse will give protection up to about another 5*C.

I'm leaving fruits on the plants for now, and just harvesting what I need each day. Expecting the chillies and peppers to stay healthy and carry on ripening for a bit longer.

Let's hope for a mild Autumn and no early frosts

Comment

• Well I've got two plants with jalapenos growing, one with I think friggitello and one I'm not sure about. All have flowered/are flowering and I've got about five fruits so far. All plants are in pots, indoors, on the kitchen windowsill.

Do these plants need to be "stopped off" ie growing tip to be pinched?
            Last edited by monkeyboy; 18-09-2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
              Overnight temperatures starting to edge below 10*C, but closed greenhouse will give protection up to about another 5*C.
              Interesting, possibly depends on where the GH is sited? I have a GH thermometer and an outside. My GH doesn't reflect +5. In late Spring this may be true as the cold dips for very short periods. It was just 11degrees here up to 11am yesterday morning and the temperature was just 2degrees different first thing.
              How much shelter does your GH get? Perhaps I should be planting some bushes around to keep it warmer.

Anyone else with thermometers?

Comment

• Originally posted by monkeyboy View Post
                Well I've got two plants with jalapenos growing, one with I think friggitello and one I'm not sure about. All have flowered/are flowering and I've got about five fruits so far. All plants are in pots, indoors, on the kitchen windowsill.

Do these plants need to be "stopped off" ie growing tip to be pinched?
                I wouldn't pinch anything out now.
                Have you got any photos? They may carry on fruiting right upto Christmas, slow down a little and start flowering again come late Feb if you are lucky.

Comment

• I've potted on two of my Cayennes into bigger pots without disturbing the rootball, I shall leave two in the original pots and do a comparison later. I've also trimmed one of each(re potted and not) also as a comparison.

Comment

• The plants that stay green through to Christmas always do best for me if I don't get aphids! I've a very light large bay window and the room is pretty cool with a constant temp. No radiators turning on and off.

Comment

• Well here's Nigel

"Nigel's Outdoor" which I have now brought home due to a dip in night time temps with a view to overwinter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2664.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	2375070

He's an handsome chappy!

Just waiting for the rest of the fruit to ripen and use the whole lot to make a batch of chilli sauce
                      "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Hello Nigel, you are a good looking fella!
                        What sort of heat has he got?

Comment

• Don't know, not tasted one yet!

Gis a mo, I'll nip the end off one!
                          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Just eat a small fully ripe one, de-seeded of course.

Hot, hot, hot, but not tongue blistering and actually a very pleasant tasting chilli, although my lips are a little numb.

Defoe one I'll be growing again and will be isolating to collect seed!

Just to add! that as actually given me a lift with all the happy endorphins kicking in!

As "Jamie Oliver" says "Woe! Jermall"
                            Last edited by Deano's "Diggin It"; 18-09-2017, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Deano. I'm very tempted to try growing a Nigel. Is he the fella with the black seeds?

Comment

• White SP, got mine from "Real Seeds"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X