This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
    This has obviously had the wrong tag in it I think, but now I don't know what it is.
    It's quite a compact plant but all growing up the way
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]75295[/ATTACH]

But when gooooogled it shows Krakatoa as mine is, just their daft pic on tag looks nothing like
    Could be anythin....often chilli varieties look very alike.

Comment

• Found this image of Krakatoa f1 chilli plant with ripe Chillies on tinternet.
      Mine looks same just green Chillies yet.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	2374160
      Northern England.

Comment

• SP, do you pick your pretty in purple while still purple? I've been waiting until mine turn red?

Comment

• Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
          Found this image of Krakatoa f1 chilli plant with ripe Chillies on tinternet.
          Mine looks same just green Chillies yet.
          Thai hot also looks similar, I've grown a few chillies that grow upright like that.

Comment

• The label in the plant says Krakatoa just the chilliies pic/plant looks nothing like their image
            Northern England.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              SP, do you pick your pretty in purple while still purple? I've been waiting until mine turn red?
              Yes I do because I was told that filius blue ( which I'm 98% sure is the same thing ) is one of the few chillies that is a bit hotter before it turns red.

Comment

• Latest harvest:

When I look at this picture, it seems a bit daft moaning that my crops are sparse. However, the three SB MoA are the only chinenses and that's my main complaint. A few Bahamian Goat, NotScotch and Elysium Oxide will hopefully be ripe by next weekend but after that there are no more coming.

Aleppo (bottom left)
                Aji Omnicolor x 3 (top left)
                Aji Pineapple - my very first one!
                Cayenne x 2
                Small reds x lots (Superchilli and Chenzo)
                Peter Pepper x 2
                Scotch Bonnet MoA x 3
                Filius Blue x lots
                Aji Omnicolor x lots (separate from the others because these ones have been isolated, and left on the plant to get over-ripe, in the hope of getting some viable seeds.)

So, now, what can I do with them? Most have gone straight in the freezer for later.
                Last edited by Mitzi; 31-07-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Pickled peppers or chilli jam are pretty much staples here.....but you need a few more yet, unless you have some peppers growing to bulk it out a bit?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    Pickled peppers or chilli jam are pretty much staples here.....but you need a few more yet, unless you have some peppers growing to bulk it out a bit?
                    I've got some from previous harvests (http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1546883) already frozen, hoping to get enough to make single-variety sauces or (after we get a dehydrator) flakes / powder.

I made a chilli jam last year, basically just chillies, vinegar and some jam sugar. It was quite nice (but I heated it too much so a bit too stiff - almost toffee-like.) Do you have a nicer recipe?
                    Last edited by Mitzi; 01-08-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• There's a thread somewhere... Will link in a bit.
                      Nigellas is delicious. It's not a jam, it really comes out as a sauce.
                      Chilli powder is a bit of a pain (IMO) a lot of effort for a few teaspoons and it doesn't stay fresh (again personal thing) I prefer to grind my own nutmeg than use the pre bought ground! Same with pepper really. If you want heat without big lumps you can always drop them in a muslin bag.
                      I often dry cayenne but for using in Christmas decorations rather than for food as I find they are tasteless once dried. Though for chilli oil you can only use dried chillies.
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...pes_90239.html
                      Last edited by Scarlet; 01-08-2017, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• My first chilli of the year is just starting to ripen. Woohoo.

A long slim cayenne.

Comment

• Chillies

I can't wait for the chillies to be ready!

Red scorpion - many flowers but only a few chillies growing so far (why do so many flowers drop off?)
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20170801_162942.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	2374231

Cayenne - coming along nicely with 8-10 chillies
                          Scotch bonnets - 12 chillies forming
                          Jelapeno - 3 or 4 chillies forming

Comment

• hello all hoping you can help me, my chenzos are just starting to ripen one at a time which is great, however I was hoping to make a batch of Nigella's chilli jam with them so will need quite a few for this. Does anyone know if i halve them, deseed and then freeze them would I still be able to use them for jam or would it not work with previously frozen chillis

t
                            Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmarigold View Post
                              hello all hoping you can help me, my chenzos are just starting to ripen one at a time which is great, however I was hoping to make a batch of Nigella's chilli jam with them so will need quite a few for this. Does anyone know if i halve them, deseed and then freeze them would I still be able to use them for jam or would it not work with previously frozen chillis

t
                              Thank you!
                              I don't see why you couldn't make your chilli jam with frozen but I'm no expert. You could leave them on the plant until quite a few have ripened.
                              I'm sure someone with more knowledge of jam making and freezing will be along to help soon.

Comment

• thank you, theres quite a few going green now so wont be too long until they're ready hopefully. Do they last long once they go red then? I mean left on the plant. I was worried theyd turn quickly like strawberries.... yes this is my first year growing chillis if you couldnt tell.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X