X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking fab Mitzi!

Comment

• I had a 50% success rate taking cuttings from an actively growing Cherry Bomb.

I took some branches with a few leaves on them, stripped the lower leaves, rolled in rooting hormone and buried the bottoms in compost where the leaves had been stripped. I also reduced the remaining foliage by about two thirds to reduce transpiration loss before the roots developed.

I then covered the container with cling film and misted daily or twice daily. After a couple of weeks the leaves of the cuttings that 'took' could survive with no misting, without wilting, so I them removed the clingfilm, and watered them normally.

I may have been just as successful without rooting hormone, but given how long it takes for them to root I would use it to be on the safe side unless I find out it doesn't make much difference to chillies.

For the ones that didn't make it, I think they rotted, so although cuttings need adequate water in the compost, drowning them could encourage disease to take hold.

After a few more weeks there were signs of a decent root system so I separated the cuttings and potted them up, treating them just like a transplanted plant grown from seed. I gave the plants away but I know one was very productive the summer after it was produced.

Comment

• Have you got aphids Mitzi?

Edit....just read your post! Have you tried giving them a shower?
        Last edited by Scarlet; 20-04-2017, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Baldy View Post
          I have some 8 year old (at least) rooting powder and was going to try that on a Bhut and a Choc Hab - maybe one or two others. Did manage to overwinter a hot lemon this winter.
          So - cuttings are a bit of a challenge - I'll give it a go on a few varieties see if I can get anywhere...
          Let us know how you get on.

Comment

• fantastic mitzi (apart from the aphids of coarse) thanks for posting the pics ,cheers
            The Dude abides.

Comment

• Mine now getting natural daylight!

Want moving on once more I think!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2088 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	2372235

Off this weekend! So "Prime Time"

Getting a little worried I am so far behind this year, said I'd never do it again!

But hey! What will be will be!
              "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Looking good there Deano.

Comment

• I have chillies :

And it's only April!!!!!

I've got a joe's long, Hungarian black & basket of fire

Comment

• My chillies have all stalled in the cold. My padrons are really suffering and they have usually been unproblematic- it's got to the point where I've ordered some plug plants! But I was given a Zimbabwe Black plant though and that's got 5 chillies on already, plus a healthy scattering of ladybird larvae to munch on aphids. So that's my contribution to the circle at least sorted!
                    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

• Do you pot your chillies on gradually increasing the size of the pot or can you go to the final size(8 inch terracotta ones)once the plants are 6 inch or so high?

Comment

• Mine are all romping away and a good few are now spending their nights in the greenhouse with some covering for colder nights...Have been pinching off flowers so far on many of them but might let an odd one stay now...
                        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
                          Do you pot your chillies on gradually increasing the size of the pot or can you go to the final size(8 inch terracotta ones)once the plants are 6 inch or so high?

I would usually go to a final pot Burnie if they are over that sort of height and are bushy enough..You will know by looking at them generally speaking...Throw a few chicken manure pellets in when potting into final pots if you have some..
                          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                          sigpic

Comment

• Yeah! I'm gunna do what all else did last year and move em on to their final ten inch pots,with a bit of "Chicken Poop" good results if memory serves well!
                            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• I'll be doing that again this year Deano. It worked great for me

Comment

• Yeah! I remember you all saying!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X