• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
    I did warn ye
    I knew someone did Trip, just couldnt remember who it was
    Lucky hes not the type to gloat ey

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
      Yes, my plant was really duff, though I treated many of the chillies badly this year. Then it got something brown and disgusting on it and I binned the whole thing.

I might give it another go next year, depends on how itchy my fingers get at seed-sowing time.
      I wont bother again with it, the red manzano i had of Scarlet had much bigger fruits and really thick, seemed ideal for stuffing, reminds me, better get some seeds ordered ans decide which hotty im having
      Last edited by jackarmy; 19-12-2016, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Did you taste the manzanos Jack? they are too hot for me!

Comment

No, i never got them to ripen Scarlet, i sowed them too late i think, when did you sow yours ?
          think mine were april ish, will have to check.

Comment

I sowed mine befor you! they do take a long time to ripen, best in their second year. I was going to overwinter mine but they got frosted in the cold snap. i can't find my photos of the plant...just a photo of a couple of ripe ones with the frosted leaves.
            Trip started his in March, they were the last to ripen for him too. It was old seed so they also took a long time to germinate which didn't help.

Found another...this was taken on the 22August, they took a couple of months to ripen.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Scarlet; 19-12-2016, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Mmmmm, theire a cracking size, will get mine off a lot earlier this time.
              red rocoto is the manzano isnt it ?

Comment

Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
                red rocoto is the manzano isnt it ?
                Well, some say they are "cousins" others say they are they same I know that the manzano that I grow is the "Apple" shape. The seeds I most often see on sale are sold as the rocoto but they aren't round like the manzano. Lots of the chilli databases seem to think they are they same but I'm not so sure.
                Last edited by Scarlet; 19-12-2016, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Did you taste the manzanos Jack? they are too hot for me!
                  I got loads off the plants I grew from your seeds Scarlet and love them.. Definitely not too hot.. Yum on pasta and fried chorizo ☺️
                  Last edited by Tripmeup; 19-12-2016, 11:46 PM.
                  I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                    Plus Facing Heaven if I can ever find a proper supply.
                    Haha! Good luck, twice now Ive grown some and both times it certainly wasn't facing heaven

Comment

Update: in the house for potential overwintering.

Growing slowly, no leaf drop or dormancy:
                      -Orange Habanero
                      -White Habanero (which is probably a Pink Habanero)
                      -Golden Cayenne

Leaf drop, stems look ok, hopefully dormant and will overwinter:
                      -Burkina Yellow
                      -Numex Sandia
                      -Cayenne Large Red Thick
                      -Elysium Oxide F6
                      -(Elysium Oxide F5xBurkina Yellow) F1
                      -(Elysium Oxide F5xPaper Lantern) F1

Leaf drop, stems going brown in patches, probably not surviving:
                      -Santa Fe Grande
                      -Cheyenne F1

Plus the Turbo Alberto crosses which may be more cold tolerant, so I'm giving them a chance to overwinter in the greenhouse. One plant has dropped leaves, the other hasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
                        Plus the Turbo Alberto crosses which may be more cold tolerant, so I'm giving them a chance to overwinter in the greenhouse. One plant has dropped leaves, the other hasn't.
                        I wouldn't leave it in the GH. They are "cold" tolerant. They don't survive a cold winter in the UK or a prolonged frost. I lost two a few weeks back.

Comment

My List

Hi people!

Had my first season last year growing on from small plants bought in May. Really enjoyed the process and had great yields on my Apaches, Cheyennes and Super Chillies.

This year is the first from seed I've been bought my first heated propagator for xmas and have the blow-away coming in Feb. Looking forward to the challenge and I'm sure I'll be here asking questions and posting pictures on my progress.

Not looking to grow any superhots as I just don't have a taste for that level yet. Plus I wanna grow stuff that the family can enjoy too. I found the Apache hot enough last year and ended up chucking 50 or so away, with another 50 or so still in the freezer!

Current List as follows

Habanero Hot Mustard
                          Black Olive
                          Birdseye
                          Scotch Bonnet
                          Cayenne
                          Tesco Supermarket (could be cayenne)
                          Padron
                          Hungarian Hot Wax
                          Bulgarian Carrot
                          Ancho Poblano

Then, like some fellow chilliheads here :- whatever I can't resist buying from Homebase or Wyevale

Can not wait! Gonna start in the Prop late Jan as I'm on a weekend away Mid Jan. Should be fun

Comment

Am I late?. I don't have green house . I'm waiting for January.

Comment

your not late skg ,perfect timing ,we all start our seeds off inside at this time of year as nothing will happen in a greenhouse at this time of year ,what are you looking to grow and equipment do you have ?
                              The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by NewShoots View Post
                                Then, like some fellow chilliheads here :- whatever I can't resist buying from Homebase or Wyevale

Can not wait! Gonna start in the Prop late Jan as I'm on a weekend away Mid Jan. Should be fun
                                If you can get posting, the VSP has a a huge selection. (If I remember rightly...) I remember it as being the stuff that dreams are made of...
                                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X