Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    - as it says in the name -
    well if potatoes are roots and onions may or may not be a shoot what are potato onions?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Plan A was right first time - with a few modifications

I'm trying to be organised with seed sowing - in particular repeat sowings for continuity of cropping.

Operate a 4 week cycle for sowing seeds, based loosely around the main parts that are eaten.

Week 1 = Roots (eg carrots, turnip, radish, potatoes etc)
      Week 2 = Shoots + stalks/stems (eg onions leeks, all alliums, celery, rhubarb)
      Week 3 = Fruits (eg tomatoes, squashes, beans & peas)
      Week 4 = Leaves (brassicas, incl caulis and broccoli, lettuce, salad leaves)

Then repeat, every 4 weeks for 13 cycles a year.

Pretty Flowers are sown on Friday, any week
      Fish are roots
      Forgot to say - the week starts on Monday because that's what most diaries do.
      Yippee -- tomorrow, its Shoots
      Last edited by veggiechicken; 25-09-2016, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I look forward to the publication of your new book VC. "The Re-Classification of Taxonomy and Nomenclature"
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If it's below the ground it's roots. If it's above the ground and has no seeds it's shoots. If it's above the ground and HAS seeds it's fruits........simples!

Goin off to rest my brain cell as it urts
          I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
            If it's below the ground it's roots. If it's above the ground and has no seeds it's shoots. If it's above the ground and HAS seeds it's fruits........simples!

Goin off to rest my brain cell as it urts
            What about leaves?

And peanuts?

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Leaves - above ground and no seeds = shoots

Peanuts below ground = roots

Simples!
              I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Lumpy's doing the modified 3 week rotation with a week off for flowers, gnomes and fish

Comment

Sowed another pot of Mooli radish and a pot of Turnip Pistoiese which is a new one for me. Can't find out much about it but its usable as roots, shoots and leaves
                  Italian Seed and Tool Turnip Seeds, Pistoiese

So that's the end of roots for 3 weeks - Shoots tomorrow

Comment

Happy shoots week VC! What is on the cards for today?

I don't know why everyone is struggling so much... pick a seed packet, sow it and then remember just to eat the relevant part of the plant, roots, shoots, leaves etc. Who knows, maybe basil roots will become the next big thing in haute food couture and VC will be rich and famous

Comment

Shoots/stalks/stems week

Its the week for doing things with alliums, stalks and stems.
                      I shall be sowing winter hardy spring onions and baby leeks, some old rhubarb seeds and some oriental veg that is grown for its shootystems - like kailaan. Maybe Celtuce?
                      Also I need to prick out the spring onions and baby leeks sown 21st August.
                      Getting excited

Comment

Well I'll get my ramsons out this week then.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

^^^ Better make sure nobody's looking

I've been struggling with some orientals this afternoon! They all have similar names and I haven't a clue what the difference is.
                          I've sown
                          Tsoi Sim
                          Hon Tsai Tai (Purple Choy Sum)
                          Pak Choi/Tai Sai
                          Kailaan
                          North Round Zha Cai
                          and Stem lettuce (?Celtuce)

Are they all shoots, stalks, stems????
                          No idea! So....... there is a new "rule" - anything with an oriental name is sown in Week 2 as a Stem/Stalk/Shoot.

Just waiting for the Smartiepants to confuse me even further

Comment

Ever get the feeling that there's someone working at a seed company just making silly noises - when someone hears noises they like they write it on a seed packet and fill it full of brassica seeds.

I'm off to get some seeds for Ping Pong Tae Bhol

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

More seeds sown for Shoots week :-
                              Welsh Onions - Red & White
                              Rhubarb - Glaskins, Victoria and Mammoth.
                              They're all old seeds so not expecting much.

The Good news is - last week's Roots are doing well.

Mooli, Radish, Kohlrabi, beetroot and turnip have germinated

Comment

^^^ Better make sure nobody's looking

I've been struggling with some orientals this afternoon! They all have similar names and I haven't a clue what the difference is.
                                I've sown
                                Tsoi Sim
                                Hon Tsai Tai (Purple Choy Sum)
                                Pak Choi/Tai Sai
                                Kailaan
                                North Round Zha Cai
                                and Stem lettuce (?Celtuce)

Are they all shoots, stalks, stems????
                                No idea! So....... there is a new "rule" - anything with an oriental name is sown in Week 2 as a Stem/Stalk/Shoot.

Just waiting for the Smartiepants to confuse me even further
                                I sowed quite a few oriental things last year, among them mitsuba mashimori, which I thought was a brassica. It isn't, its like parsley.
                                Last edited by Penellype; 28-09-2016, 04:38 PM.
                                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X