No announcement yet.

CompareTheCompost.com

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to be a pain, BM, when you've gone to the trouble of collating the info, but would it be possibe to edit your post to show p/litre? Better comparison that way.

Comment

Looking forward to any grapes who have bought other varieties of mpc (i.e. everyone growing in trays/pots!) esp. own brands from the 'sheds' W1ckes, Hbase etc putting up a pic of product pack, 'from the bag', sieved and 'left overs'.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
        Sorry to be a pain, BM, when you've gone to the trouble of collating the info, but would it be possibe to edit your post to show p/litre? Better comparison that way.
        Done Haze.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Westland MPC 50l
          On offer at 3 for £10 at my local garden centre, usual price £4.99/bag.

The product:

Out of the bag:

Sieved:

What's left:

Some chunks of wood and some fibrous stuff that wouldn't go through the sieve. I don't usually sieve it so I was quite surprised how much was left behind.
          Attached Files
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Just to give this thread a quick bump - anyone who is buying mpc this weekend, can you take photos of pack/open/sieved/leftovers and add them to this thread?

Ta!

Comment

I bought some organic compost (with a picture of carrots on the back) 40l for £2.49 from A1di but I don't have a sieve. I just use my hands to get lumps of wood out usually. Iv got a feeling it will be good like L1dls tho-same sort of shop with non rip-off prices but with good quality still?

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                I bought some organic compost (with a picture of carrots on the back) 40l for £2.49 from A1di but I don't have a sieve. I just use my hands to get lumps of wood out usually.
                Nor have I - I half filled a plant pot (one with quite big drainage holes) holes, and shook and shook. Had to be quite patient - it worked, though.

Comment

Nice little sieve in the A1di sale this week, a fiver. They do come in handy, even if only for sprinkling compost over seeds in your seed trays.
                  My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                  Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Excellent thread, small suggestion.
                    If you edit the first post and update that it saves people avhing to search through the thread. So put the stuff on #50 on the front.
                    Would also be good, although a little more work to add links in the first post of the thread to the posts where people have added images eg Westland MPC 50l

Keeps all the info at the top of the thread, easy access and makes it a fantastic resource.

Thanks so much for doing it.
                    Last edited by ugley_matt; 28-02-2015, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Matt. I update the list after a new entry has been listed. I will look into putting the links. The updated list was an afterthought and cannot be placed at the start of the thread.
                      Last edited by Bigmallly; 28-02-2015, 09:23 AM.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Updated List With Links

So that Grapes wishing to take part don't waste their time duplicating what we already have, here is the list so far:

Lidl MPC - £1.29 for 25Lts or 5.16p/Lt...........http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1325074
                        Poundstretcher Growing Bag - £1.49 for 25Lts or 5.96p/Lt.......http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1325079
                        New Horizon Organic & Peat Free MPC - £4.99 per Bag or 8p/Lt.........http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1325085
                        B&Q Verve MPC - £6.73 for 125Lts or 5.38p/Lt........http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1325088
                        B&M Easigrow Growbag - £1.29 for 27Lts or 4.8p/Lt.........http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1325137
                        Homebargains Smart Garden Eco Block - £1.79 for 50Lts or 3.58p/Lt..http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1325174
                        J.Arthur Bower's Growbag - £2 for 33Lts or 6p/Lt........http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1325526
                        Lidl MPC - £1.89 for 35Lts or 5.4p/Lt........http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1325528
                        Poundland Richmoor MPC with JI - £1 for 15Lts or 6.67p/Lt........http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1325884
                        Westland MPC - £4.99 for 50Lts, 3 bags for £10 or 6.66p/Lt.........http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1326171

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by ugley_matt View Post
                          Excellent thread, small suggestion.
                          If you edit the first post and update that it saves people avhing to search through the thread. So put the stuff on #50 on the front.
                          Would also be good, although a little more work to add links in the first post of the thread to the posts where people have added images eg Westland MPC 50l

Keeps all the info at the top of the thread, easy access and makes it a fantastic resource.

Thanks so much for doing it.
                          Come on then Matt - show us your compost

Thanks BM for all your hard work on this and all those who have contributed their Compost. Keep 'em coming please

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                            I half filled a plant pot (one with quite big drainage holes)
                            Thankyou Hazel I was wondering what I could make/use thats a good idea. Yes I did see the sieves but don't want to spend £5 on something I don't need,I use an old kitchen sieve if I need a really fine dressing of compost,takes ages or my hands to get lumps out,I'm trying to keep my expenditure low all the time. I'l do the a1di one tomorrow if its not on here

Comment

Easigrow from B & M Bargains. 3 x 70 ltrs for 10 quid. +4.76p per ltr

It was very heavy when bought. and in wet lumps when opened.

It was hard to riddle, even with my metal sieve.

Some twigs, a few small stones and a few tiny bits of wrapping and plastic.

Even when sieved it was still in small lumps. No good for sowing seeds but ideal for topping up the planters round the garden.

Not as good as jacks magic but far better than some of the stuff i have bought over the years. Its described as low peat.

Roger
                              Attached Files
                              Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks for the review Roger.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X