CompareTheCompost.com

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
    I love this thread - such a useful resource! Well done BM for starting it off!
    Totally agree - great idea BM.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by daviddevantnhisspiritwife View Post
      I did read that about the sodium content of some coir products. I'll double check the provenance of this particular offering and report back. My initial checks suggest that it hails from Sri Lanka and is washed before compression (thus removing the excess salts).

I'll see if I can find out more.
      I couldnt find anything out about it so I thought I'd test it with some basil seeds that I'm already growing this month in different seed compost. So I know what should be expected of this basil variety you know. Germination should be in 5 days.
      Pot 1-basil seeds with the coco compost.
      Pot 2-basil seeds with the coco compost & all purpose continuous release plant food.
      Pot 3-basil seeds with the coco compost & all purpose continuous release plant food & rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi. I'l put the results in soon

Comment

Cracking thread BM (and all contributors). Very useful information to all of us I'm sure.
        My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

I've been checking in on the site for the last couple of days on my phone and seemed to miss this thread.

Great idea - and would be good if the might of the GYO team could publicise the outcome of these tests to put pressure on suppliers to justify the quality of their product.
          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Good idea Kev, it would be handy to show some comparisons.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Not got a proper review to offer at this stage but I have used the coir 'compost' to break up my incredibly clay soil in my raised bed... only time will tell if it's worked in any way but it'll be a task picking it all out if it does more harm than good!

Also got some compost from B&M which is more twigs and sticks than actual compost... not sure what the brand was but it was in a big red bag (50L i think)... I generally go with Asda MPC which I don't think is reviewed so will review if I get some.

Comment

That would be good Mr G. The more brands the better.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I have used Asda for the last 2 years. You get 3 70litre bags for £10 and I have found it ok to use. Sadly, it isn't in stock just at the moment at our store.

Comment

Health problems prevent me from doing much at the moment but last year i tried the B&cue verve and was very happy with it. My simple instant test is that when i open the bag, if I get the feeling i would like to put milk and sugar on it and have it for breakfast it must be good. Before some smart Alec suggests it, this is not the cause of my health problems because i havent actualy eaten the stuff.

Great thread BM.
                    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Gardener View Post
                      Not got a proper review to offer at this stage but I have used the coir 'compost' to break up my incredibly clay soil in my raised bed... only time will tell if it's worked in any way but it'll be a task picking it all out if it does more harm than good!
                      I hope its ok! Cant see it doing major harm & it might be fine. So i've just taken a couple of basil seedlings that were growing happily for almost 3 weeks. Put the strongest looking seedling in the coco compost from h.bargins,other in John Innes soil based compost,both with continuous release plant food. Also washed my hands between touching each,so no cross contamination. They're now under my fish tank light,so we can see what happens to them,if they both grow well,no worries I'd like to be able to use this kind of cheap material for potatoes,but cant risk what might happen underground,could end up with penny sized spuds?
                      Attached Files

Comment

B & M Bargains, 3 x 70 Easigrow MPC for ten quid. Described as low peat.
                        Works out at less the 5p per ltr.
                        I have not opened it yet but only want it for topping up flower troughs and tubs and earthing up tatties in buckets and bags.
                        Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Get some pics on if you get chance Roger. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            Get some pics on if you get chance Roger. Cheers.
                            I will try and get some photos over the weekend. did me back in getting em in and out of the car.
                            Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Poundland - Richmoor MPC with John Innes. 15ltrs for £1 - 6.67p per ltr

The Product

Bag when opened

Unsieved

Sieved

Left over

Actually looks and feels really good. A few bits of twig left over, no plastic.
                              Ok not a great bargain, but a handy size and on my doorstep lol
                              Attached Files
                              What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                              Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Cheers Jon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X