This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lisasbolt View Post
    Planted out 100 red onion seedling, I started off really good with my spacings and then realised my lines were curving into each other quite a bit.
    String & sticks Lis, string & sticks..................
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      String & sticks Lis, string & sticks..................
      I would trip up and get myself all tangled in the string
      I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Lisasbolt View Post
        I would trip up and get myself all tangled in the string
        You're not supposed to skip with it..................
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Quick visit to the allotment to dig some parsnips and get some sprouts for dinner. Dug two parsnips up but only needed one as one was mahoosive. It was so big I've chopped it up to par boil for roasting and its left no room in the pan for the spuds!
          The sprouts are also huge as the pigeons took the tops of the plants out and this made the sprouts 'beef up' too quickly. I've left one mahhosive sprout at the top of the pant to act as hopefully the missing centre and allow more sprouts to form...........we shall see. The chooks enjoyed the leaves i stripped off along with some kale tops that had started to bolt.
          I noticed i have a single PSB plant which will have florets ready for the Christmas dinner!
          One of the top bars on my polytunnel had come adrift and punched a hole in the cover. I tied it up the best I could to stop it doing any further damage. Can't really grumble too much as my polytunnel is one of the few left standing on the site!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Planted 32 Monkey nuts then put in propagator. Dug up a carrier bag full of Tatties. Made a mental note to grow another bed of tatties next year. Had four beds this year which should take me up to February.Five beds should give me until March/April then earlies to take over after that. Cut the tops out of my supposedly perpetual celery (Kint sai) and put some BFB around my spring cabbages to give them a boost. Repaired one of my greenhouse glass panes but I don't know how long the repair will last.
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Feel like i have done lots today, finally managed to get some leeks and summer sprouting broccoli into the empty raised bed. Transferred loads of mixed salad bowl, pak choi, and iceberg lettuce in the PT, and sowed more radish and spicy mix leaves. Tired now, oh yeah crammed in a few greyhound cabbages.
              I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

• Sowed some winter lettuce. Checked to sea if my propagator was working.The perspex is steamed up so I assume so. I did soak the sand that was in the bottom of it before putting my modules of Monkey nuts in it, so that could be the reason
                Pruned all the wayward branches on my indoor peach tree.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Sowed some peas for sprouts and potted up some shop bought basil in the hope it does something

Comment

• Took the last of the tomato plants down in the greenhouse and did a bit of tidying and weeding of the beds.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• stripped some annuals out of the planters at the front of the house. Left the zonal pelargoniums. They are still flowering

Comment

• Just been out to look at my grow house, the wind last night has absolutely ruined it. Ripped to bits.

It was ripped anyway and i was going to order a new one after xmas ready for next year.

Think i might by myself a reinforced grow house later next year.

Comment

• Gathered the Christmas dinner veg. Parsnips,sprouts,mooli onions and spuds.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Been suffering from one of these wretched colds recently but decided I'd wasted enough time sitting about waiting for it to get better (little improvement after 2 weeks!) so went out and pruned and potted up my gooseberry bush into fresh compost. The idea (hopefully) is to have washed off all the sawfly pupae from the roots. Next step is to construct a fine mesh cage to keep the little blighters off the plant next year.

Hand pollinated some strawberry flowers in the growhouse just in case they decide to ripen.
                            Last edited by Penellype; 24-12-2015, 01:24 PM.
                            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Lovely bright day today so ventured to the allotment. Amazingly, I was the only one on site?
                              Her Who Must Be Obeyed said the spuds were running low, so could I bring some home. Dug up the last 4 foot X 6 foot bed of Desiree tatties and harvested a goodly amount of spuds. I have a trug with a split in the bottom which is ideal for washing spuds under the allotment tap as the mud and water runs out of the split!
                              Harvested some Brussel Sprouts and took half a dozen onions of my onion strings hanging up in the greenhouse for home use.
                              One of my Yellow Chrysanths had enough growth to give me five cuttings which i placed in a 4" pot of compost and put a polythene bag over the top. Its now on the kitchen window sill at home, hopefully rooting.
                              Harvested a 500g container full of Mooli seed pods off one plant I had seeded.I don't know why these seeds are so expensive to buy when I could probably get 5000 seeds of this one plant alone?
                              I then got my draw hoe out and levelled two previous potato beds by dragging soil around with the intention of adding hoss muck to the beds. By that time my back had started to play up a bit so decided discretion was the better part of valour and I would leave the mucking until another day.

PS Just realised the Daikon/mooli I have patiently seeded from two years ago is a flaming F1 hybrid. Cripes knows what I will end up with when I sow the seeds! If i can get a few that are tolerable at least i can foster an OP variety for future use.
                              Last edited by Snadger; 29-12-2015, 05:38 PM.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Spent a bit of time in the garden and the greenhouse today.
                                Potted on some more of my Sweetpea which are growing so quickly due to the mild weather, and did a bit of weeding.
                                Went for a long walk.It was good to get out and about while it was dry.

And when your back stops aching,
                                And your hands begin to harden.
                                You will find yourself a partner,
                                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X